Bleak over a baby (semi-OT)

Old March 2nd 04, 11:00 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Default Bleak over a baby (semi-OT)

"Dagny" wrote in message
link.net...
Nope, this absolutely depresses me too. Strollers for little babies and
baby buckets (car seats carried into stores) depress me. I don't know why
the mom doesn't like her kid enough to put her in a sling/carrier. I hope
they all have bad backs.

I do make some use of various paraphenalia but not NEARLY to the extent of
my peers.

And I happen to think that I can PLAY more with my baby if he's in the
stroller whereas the play options are not as plentiful if he's in a carrier.
I often hear about how if you have a sling, you can walk around nursing
hands-free - I happen to think THAT's depressing. What mother wouldn't want
to cuddle with her nursling?

Seriously what's up with all the judging? I don't know what's in these
people's lives; how would I even presume to know what's "best"?
Jeanne

Old March 2nd 04, 11:54 PM
Kereru

"Dagny" wrote in message
link.net...

"Nikki" wrote in message
Dagny wrote:

Bad backs are a reason to use strollers, and cold weather and not
disturbing a nap are reasons to leave the child in the carseat and/or
snap the child in a travel system.

I'm not being defensive as I was one of those mothers that held mine. I
didn't even own an infant seat for Hunter and didn't have one for Luke

until
he was 3 months old. My stroller never left my property. I just

carried
them around in my arms, didn't even have a sling.

Still I really don't understand what the problem is with sitting a

content
and happy baby down in a seat of some kind while mom does her shopping.

Why
is *just because it is easier* not an acceptable reason if everyone is
happy and content.

I never said anything about wanting people to work for no reason. There's

fine line between "happy and content" and "brain dead, unstimulated, has
learned that he can't look to mom for input about the world because mom is
forever out of view behind a stroller, big flat spot on the back of her
head."

A fine line! You have a very bleak view of the world, I feel sorry for you.

Judy

Old March 3rd 04, 01:24 AM
Beth

"Nikki" wrote in message
Beth wrote:

Now I know for a fact that this baby was planned, wanted, and his
folks love him deeply. He's a happy little fellow who smiles
promiscuously!

That doesn't sound bleak to me. IMO you are taking a snap shot of

equipment
and not looking at the actual baby.

Well, how about a snapshot of the equipment *and* a look at the actual baby?
:-) While he seemed happy, it just saddened me to see him getting
mechanical nourishment and comfort. Can't help it. It just looks so awful
to me. I imagine that he got more human attention when his mom was not so
busy, though.

Once, when my DS was 3 days old, he had to spend a couple hours in the
nursery at the hospital and the nurses kept him in a swing because he was so
"difficult." Granted, I was pretty hormonal 3 days postpartum, but the
sight of my little guy warehoused in that violently rocking swing soured me
for good on the contraptions. Someone had given me a second-hand Graco
swing which I never did assemble, even though I was one of those mothers who
had to cook and eat one-handed, pee while wearing the baby in a sling, and
considered 5 minutes a real vacation. A swing might have bought me a little
time to myself, I suppose, but DS soon graduated to playing on the floor
around 3 months and life got a lot easier.

Beth

Old March 3rd 04, 01:25 AM
Beth

"Bruce and Jeanne" wrote in message
Do any of
you feel this way about other parenting styles, or am I just

particularly
insufferable? :-)

The latter.

I know. :-) I took some aspirin and am hoping to be better from now on.
;-)

Beth

Old March 3rd 04, 05:42 AM
Chotii

"Linz" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:49:58 -0600, "Beth"
wrote:

"CY" wrote in message
Even the diaper??

I was surprised at how yellow the urine was. My own DS might have

faintly
yellow pee after a fairly solid night of sleep, but even at 2 months he

was
waking up with clear urine in his diaper. Wondering if feeding formula
keeps babies somewhat less hydrated as a rule or if this was an

exception.

Was it cloth or a dispo? That might affect the colour?

My guess is that it is the B vitamins in the formula.

--angela

Old March 3rd 04, 04:07 PM
Beth

"Chotii" wrote in message
Was it cloth or a dispo? That might affect the colour?

My guess is that it is the B vitamins in the formula.

That sounds good. Have tried various kinds of disposables on DS and none of
them looked yellow. But I would have yellow milk when taking B-complex, and
he would pee yellow for well over 24 hours after I took the pill.

Even so, this diaper was more of a deep amber, not the lemonade color of
vitamin B pee.

Beth

Old March 3rd 04, 04:12 PM
Clisby

Beth wrote:
"Nikki" wrote in message

Beth wrote:

Now I know for a fact that this baby was planned, wanted, and his
folks love him deeply. He's a happy little fellow who smiles
promiscuously!

That doesn't sound bleak to me. IMO you are taking a snap shot of

equipment

and not looking at the actual baby.

Well, how about a snapshot of the equipment *and* a look at the actual baby?
:-) While he seemed happy, it just saddened me to see him getting
mechanical nourishment and comfort. Can't help it. It just looks so awful
to me. I imagine that he got more human attention when his mom was not so
busy, though.

But this response seems illogical, to me. If you see a loved, happy
baby in these circumstances, I would expect you would rethink your ideas
on what makes a baby happy - not have a knee-jerk reaction that it's
"bleak."

Clisby

Old March 3rd 04, 05:11 PM
Melissa

"Dagny" wrote
Nope, this absolutely depresses me too. Strollers for little babies and
baby buckets (car seats carried into stores) depress me. I don't know why
the mom doesn't like her kid enough to put her in a sling/carrier. I hope
they all have bad backs.

Or, perhaps, like DD, the baby doesn't like slings or Baby Bjorns and the
baby bucket is the best possible choice for a non-screaming baby. Actually,
with DD, the stroller was the best choice and I put her in it everywhere we
went. Our choice was in my arms or in the stroller, so when we went out she
was in her stroller most of the time. She's a bit more flexible now, but not
much so she still spends a lot of time in my arms or in the stroller.

Some babies don't like to be held in slings, etc. and it has nothing to do
with the mom's parenting theories.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old March 3rd 04, 11:27 PM
Beth

"Clisby" wrote in message
But this response seems illogical, to me.

Yes, it is illogical and reflexive. I never claimed that I was operating
from logic in this respect.

Beth

Old March 4th 04, 12:32 AM
Dagny

A woman becomes preeminent, she is expected to have enthusiasms.
"Kereru" wrote in message

"Dagny" wrote in message
link.net...

"Nikki" wrote in message
Dagny wrote:

[...]

I'm bitter right now about some other things and it spills into all areas of
my life, but yes I do have a very bleak view of many artificial methods of
Western parenting. But you know, thanks for the extra condescension

It's a fine line because it gets to the point in my opinion where the CHILD
doesn't know the difference between good and bad contentedness, between
happy engaged and happy zoned out, how would the parent? How would the
parent even know what their child was capable of?

-- Dagny