Does this sound like yeast?

Old March 9th 06, 07:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Does this sound like yeast?

Baby Harry had a great suck his first few hours, but then was so sleepy
we got a bit sidetracked. His latch was poor, I got very sore, he ended
up getting quite dehydrated, so we supplemented for a few days until my
milk came in. About day 4, we cut out the formula except for when my
nipples hurt so much I think I might fling him out of sheer pain.

Since then, (he's two weeks, today) my nipples haven't really stopped
hurting. Not just when he's nursing, all the time. He wants to be on
the boob constantly, except for the 1/2 hour screaming that he seems to
have to do in order to pass his gas. (Well, he wants to be on the boob
then, too, but if allowed he gets on, and off, and on, and off....)
He's (or possibly I am) a really poor burper. (I thought breast-fed
babies didn't really need to be burped - my last one didn't - am I
high?) He got a pacifier in the hospital, and we've been using it
since, mostly cuz I can't really bear to be the pacifier yet - hurts too
much.

So, antibiotics during labor, and another course for mom last week for
bronchitis. Steroid inhaler for asthma for mom. Yeast infection in mom
back in December. No white patches in baby's mouth, but suspicious
spots that look kind of like snot. Really gassy baby. Diaper rash that
looks like a scrape on baby. Oh, and, probably way too much candy,
since I'm not pregnant anymore (no more Gest. Diabetes!).

Any ideas? Nipple confusion or yeast? This is no fun, really.

Cheri Stryker
Old March 9th 06, 11:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Any ideas? Nipple confusion or yeast? This is no fun, really.

it really could be either, until I got to the paragraph on antibiotics etc,
I was thinking bad latch, it's surprising how long the pain from a single
feed with a bad latch can last, but I'm really torn between which it is, it
could even be both, sorry to be so littler help!

Anne