Caesareans in the news in New Zealand

Old March 22nd 04, 02:12 PM
Unadulterated Me

Default Caesareans in the news in New Zealand

In the news in New Zealand ....

from: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...4a7144,00.html

New guidelines for caesarean births

New guidelines recommending safe alternatives to caesareans in cases
where breech births are expected or where woman have already had a
caesarean were launched today.

A Health Ministry maternity services report published last year said 22
per cent of hospital births in 2001 were by caesarean section, and the
rate of caesareans had grown by 1 per cent annually over the previous
four years.

The New Zealand Guidelines Group (NZGG), which issued the new
guidelines, said today that while a caesarean section, in which a baby
is surgically removed from the womb, could be life-saving in emergency
situations there were risks and the operation should be avoided if possible.

Women were often told they needed a caesarean when a breech birth was
expected or if they had previously had a caesarean.

But Professor Cindy Farquhar, chairwoman of the guideline team, said in
those situations there were now safe alternatives that could be used to
help women have a natural birth, removing the risks associated with surgery.
"This means that they (the mother) will recover from the birth faster,
and the chance of infection from surgery and risks of blood transfusion
will be reduced," she said in a statement.

"Babies born vaginally will also be spared the health problems
associated with caesarean birth."

She said the group's research had identified that that many pregnant
women and their families did not understand the risks associated with
surgical birth.

Prof Farquhar said the group strongly recommended that all midwives,
general practitioners and obstetricians give full, good quality
evidence-based information about the risks associated with surgical birth.

Health Ministry Acting Deputy Director-General, Clinical Services Pat
Tuohy said the ministry would actively promote the new guidelines.

"Over the next few months we are keen to work with professional
organisations and district health boards to promote the guidelines to
health professionals so that they understand the reasons for this
advice," he said in a statement.

"We are developing brochures for pregnant women and their families which
will clearly describe the alternatives, risks and benefits of surgical
birth, and we want to reassure them that often there are alternatives
that will be safe for both the baby and the mother."

The guidelines were produced by the NZGG, which is an independent
charitable organisation set up to promote evidence-based health care.
Their development was funded by the Health Ministry.

Full text found here...
http://www.nzgg.org.nz/download/file...Caesarean.pdf?
Old March 22nd 04, 08:43 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Kiwi BREECH lady (Prof. Farquhar)

Attention Kiwi BREECH lady (Prof. Cindy Farquhar)
Chair
Care of Women with Breech Presentation or Previous Caesarean Birth
New Zealand Guidelines Group Inc.

Why not say to PREGNANT WOMEN...

PREGNANT WOMEN: MDs are KNOWINGLY (see postscript) closing birth canals up
to 30% by using
dorsal and semisitting delivery.

It is EASY for you to allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%.
Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out - or deliver on
hands-and-knees, kneeling, standing, squatting, etc.

BEWARE though: Some MDs and CNMwives will let you "try" "alternative"
delivery positions but will move you back to dorsal or semisitting (close
your birth canal!) as you push your baby out!

Talk to your MD or CNMwife about this TODAY.

Usenet readers,

I read through this entire New Zealand BREECH document and saw NO MENTION of
the fact that MDs and MBs and midwives are knowingly closing birth canals up
to 30%! See below for PROOF from The Merck Manual that they are knowingly
closing birth canals .

The New Zealand BREECH document contained REASONS given for cesareans:

"Currently, in the developed world, approximately 30% of caesareans are
repeat caesareans after primary caesarean, 30% are performed for dystocia
(poor progress in labor), 11% are performed for breech presentation and 10%
are performed for foetal distress."

Quote is from NZ Guidelines Group (Farquhar et al.). Care of Women with
Breech Presentation or Previous Caesarean Birth. Evidence-based Best
Practice Guideline. March 2004. Wilkinson C, McIlwaine G, Boulton-Jones C,
Cole S. Is a rising caesarean section inevitable? Br J Obstet Gynaecol
1996;105:45-52.

ALL of these reasons for cesareans can pertain to the fact that MDs and MBs
and midwives are knowingly closing birth canals up to 30%.

And don't forget the oft-heard reason for cesareans: cephalopelvic
disproportion...

MDs and MBs are CAUSING cephalopelvic disproportion then performing
cesareans BEcause of cephalopelvic disproportion!

Maybe the New Zealand BREECH document mentioned this fact and I just missed
it?

I don't think so - but - yuh neva knowz (something a fine chap I know always
tells me)...

Thanks for reading, everyone.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS MDs are *knowingly* closing birth canals...

Here is simple PROOF from The Merck Manual:

"When shoulder dystocia occurs...the mother's thighs are hyperflexed to
increase the diameter of the pelvic outlet..."
http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanu...er253/253g.jsp

Readers please ask yourselves: WHY are OBs and CNMwives waiting until the
head is
out and shoulders get stuck before giving the baby maximum pelvic outlet
diameter?

WHY are we letting OBs and CNMwives force babies' heads through birth canals
senselessly closed up to 30%?

(An estimated 4.6% of "healthy" term babies suffer unexplained brain bleeds!
And babies actually suffer DENTS in their skulls - "pingpong" skull
fractures - though most of these dents/"pingpong" fractures pop out.)

THE KICKER

OBs and CNMwives are
KEEPING birth canals closed when babies' shoulders get stuck!

That is, the Merck Manual method for increasing the diameter of the pelvic
outlet - merely hyperflexing the mother's thighs - is BAD McRoberts
maneuver...

BAD McRoberts maneuver does not roll the woman off her sacrum and therefore
does
NOT increase the diameter of the pelvic outlet!

See ACOG birth crime video evidence
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2300

WMPI/JASON GARDOSI, MD

Here are the simple grisly biomechanics of semisitting (and dorsal)
delivery clearly stated by Jason Gardosi, MD, director of the
British National Health Service/NHS West Midlands Perinatal
Institute/WMPI...

"...the weight of the mother is in part taken on the sacrum which is
therefore pushed upwards, thus decreasing the antero-posterior diameter of
the pelvic outlet..."
http://www.wmpi.net/reviews/oe/oe_shoulder_dystocia.htm

Incredibly, the just quoted WMPI site states the grisly biomechanics of
semisitting but then RECOMMENDS semisitting delivery (closing the birth
canal), as
in,

"The second stage...You might want to remain in bed with your back propped
up with pillows...As you push, try to let yourself 'open up' below..."
http://www.preg.info/book/chapter11.htm

WMPI/Jason Gardosi, MD is advising women to close their birth canals,
then saying: "As you push, try to let yourself 'open up' below..." (!)

ON A POSITIVE NOTE: The WMPI site does recommend a version of GOOD McRoberts
if
the shoulders get stuck...
http://www.wmpi.net/reviews/oe/oe_shoulder_dystocia.htm

NOTE: At one time, WMPI/Jason Gardosi, MD and his British OB pal Malcolm
Griffiths got
me censored from an international obstetric listserv for protesting this
bizarre
obstetric behavior - but fortunately not before two of my articles got
posted...

See http://forums.obgyn.net/forums/ob-gy...9707/0128.html

See also: http://forums.obgyn.net/ob-gyn-l/OBGYNL.9707/0153.html

MDs can's stop the massive obstetric crime because stopping it would be
tantamount to admitting it.

As usual, I am in favor of pardons in advance for MDs. MDs are just
academic prime cuts forced through this culture's most powerful mental
meatgrinder - medical school.

Pardons in advance will allow MDs to keep doing their valid medical work,
making money to pay the inevitable civil damages.

Again, thanks for reading, everyone.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

Copied to the abovementioned Kiwi BREECH lady - Prof. Cindy Farquhar
Chair
Care of Women with Breech Presentation or Previous Caesarean Birth
New Zealand Guidelines Group Inc.
PO Box 10-665, The Terrace, Wellington
Level 30 Grand Plimmer Towers, 2-6 Gilmer Tce, Wellington
Phone: +64 4 471 4180
Fax: +64 4 471 4185
E-mail:

BEGIN excerpt of Unadulterated Me's usenet post that called attention

to the Kiwi BREECH lady (Prof. Farquhar)...

"Unadulterated Me" wrote in message

In the news in New Zealand ....

from:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...4a7144,00.html

New guidelines for caesarean births

New guidelines recommending safe alternatives to caesareans in cases
where breech births are expected or where woman have already had a
caesarean were launched today.

snip
Professor Cindy Farquhar, chairwoman of the guideline team, said in
those situations there were now safe alternatives that could be used to
help women have a natural birth, removing the risks associated with

surgery.
"This means that they (the mother) will recover from the birth faster,
and the chance of infection from surgery and risks of blood transfusion
will be reduced," she said in a statement.

"Babies born vaginally will also be spared the health problems
associated with caesarean birth."

She said the group's research had identified that that many pregnant
women and their families did not understand the risks associated with
surgical birth.

snip
Full text found here...

http://www.nzgg.org.nz/download/file...Caesarean.pdf?
[Website: www.nzgg.org.nz - click on 'Guidelines' then 'Gynaecology and
Obstetrics']

End excerpt of Unadulterated Me's usenet post that called attention to

the Kiwi BREECH lady (Prof. Farquhar)...

THANKS Unadulterated Me!

Again, thanks for reading, everyone.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

This Open Letter will be instantly archived for global access at:

Within 24 hours it will be in the Google newsgroups archive. Search
http://groups.google.com for "Kiwi BREECH lady (Prof. Farquhar)"

Old March 22nd 04, 09:16 PM
Unadulterated Me

Todd Gastaldo wrote:

The New Zealand BREECH document contained REASONS given for cesareans:

It was a c/section document not a breech document, containing breech as
one reason why womin may be having one. Or are you being purposely
sarcastic and I'm missing the joke? I actually thought it was a great
move, as a grand multip with a previous c/section I thought this was
good news for me if I ever had another baby. The hope is there that I
wouldn't be coerced and pressured into a repeat c/section by care givers
without looking at supporting a safer vaginal birth first.

Andrea
Old March 22nd 04, 10:08 PM
Amy

I agree with you Todd, but I think any attempt to reduce the number of
c-sections over here is a good thing. She could have mentioned perhaps, that
certain birthing positions are not best for optimal fetal positioning,
promote breech births and increase the chance of a c-section.
Saying a c-section is the only way to safely deliver a breech baby is IMHO
as daft as saying a c-section is the only way to deliver a large baby. I'm
5'9", and come from a long line of tall people on my father's side. My
mother, on the other hand, is about 5'3" and delivered three babies
averaging 8 pounds each naturally and without complications, one was
'breech' until the last minute.
If a c-section was necessary for a large baby, I suspect through natural
selection we would be living in a world of pixies, when in fact the human
race on average steadily grows taller. If a c-section was always necessary
for a breech baby, similarly there would be a lot fewer of us here.

hlink.net...

Old March 23rd 04, 12:20 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Andrea "Unadulterated Me" wrote in message
Todd Gastaldo wrote:

The New Zealand BREECH document contained REASONS given for cesareans:

It was a c/section document not a breech document, containing breech as
one reason why womin may be having one.

Andrea,

Maybe we're both right...

The title of the NZ Guidelines Group (Farquhar et al.) is:

Care of Women with
Breech Presentation or Previous Caesarean Birth. Evidence-based Best
Practice Guideline. March 2004.

Or are you being purposely
sarcastic and I'm missing the joke?

I wasn't joking or being sarcastic.

NO JOKE: MDs arrived at their recent recommendation that all singleton
breech babies should be taken via major abdominal surgery (cesarean) after
studying breech births with birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

I actually thought it was a great
move, as a grand multip with a previous c/section I thought this was
good news for me if I ever had another baby.

I thought it was good news too!

Don't you agree though that documents about unnecessary cesareans should
always include the fact that MDs and MBs and midwives are closing birth
canals up to 30% - CAUSING cephalopelvic disproportion then performing
cesareans BEcause of cephalopelvic disproportion?

The hope is there that I
wouldn't be coerced and pressured into a repeat c/section by care givers
without looking at supporting a safer vaginal birth first.

Andrea

Remember: Women placed on their butts and backs in late second stage are
LITERALLY being pressured into increasing their risk for a repeat c/section!

Supporting a safer vaginal birth - I'm all for that!

Todd

Old March 23rd 04, 12:30 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Amy,

Most MD/MB/CNMwife attempts to help women deliver babies involve closing
birth canals up to 30%.

Since closing birth canals up to 30% is relevant to most of the reasons
cesareans are performed, any attempt to reduce the number of c-sections
should mention the fact that most MD/MB/CNMwife attempts to help women

Old March 25th 04, 02:32 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Kiwis cool baby brains/ignore birth crime

KIWIS COOL BABY BRAINS after birth trauma (Battin et al.)... See the end of
this post...

New Zealand MDs and MBs and midwives/NZGG...

Please excuse the strong language but...

WHAT is so goddamned hard about telling women that OBs and midwives are
knowingly closing birth canals - and how EASY it is for women to allow their
birth canals to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%?!

Babies are dying unexplained deaths! Some after Kiwi cooling with the
LIGGINS Cooling Cap! Hey, the cap is cool - but Kiwi experimenters are
ignoring their ethical obligation to PREVENT.

For simple PROOF that OBs know they are closing birth canals, see the
postscript.

PREGNANT WOMEN: To allow your birth canals to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%,
see below.

THE NEW ZEALAND GUIDELINES GROUP/NZGG...

New Zealand Guidelines Group/NZGG Information Manager LEONIE BRUNT recently
wrote to me:

"Thank you for your comments[see 'Kiwi BREECH lady (Prof. Farquhar)'] which
have been forwarded to the chair of the guideline development team...[Prof.
Farquhar]...has suggested that you look at the full guideline when it is
released NEXT MONTH to get the context of the messages." (emphasis added)

Arrggghhh... Next month? What about babies being harmed RIGHT NOW? See my
Open Letter to BRUNT below.

^^^THE PROBLEM...

MDs and MBs and CNMwives *can't* stop the massive obstetric crime because
stopping it would be
tantamount to admitting it. (CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney actually began
PROMOTING closing the birth canal - semisitting - after I informed her that
semisitting closes the birth canal! BTW, a CNMwife is a nurse midwife. In
the US, CNMwives deign to speak for ALL midwives. CNMwifery Prof. Varney
did when she promoted semisitting/closing the birth canal up to 30%.)

NOTE: The New Zealand Guidelines Group/NZGG is mostly governed by people
who either teach birth canal closing - or silently support people who do...
http://www.nzgg.org.nz/index.cfm?fus...=6&articleID=3

NZGG is governed for example by Peter Didsbury, MB, chairman of the board...

NZGG is also governed by Cindy Farquhar, MBChB, MD, DipObst, MRCOG,
FRANZCOG, CREI, MPH, Professor and Postgraduate Chair of Obstetrics and
Gynaecology, NWH, Auckland
http://www.nzgg.org.nz/download/file..._Caesarean.pdf

NZGG Board's "Life Member" is Norman Sharpe, MB, Head of the School of
Medicine in the University of Auckland.

MB students at the University of Auckland School of Medicine are likely
being taught to close birth canals up to 30% at delivery.

I am hoping that New Zealanders will stop this grisly obstetric tomfoolery
and in doing so send a message around the world that ALL MDs and MBs and
midwives should stop senselessly closing birth canals.

(I'm assuming U of Auck. graduates MBs and the NZGG Board's physician
members are MBs - they could just as well be MDs...If I am wrong about them
being silent as MDs and MBs knowingly close birth canals - see PROOF in the
postscript - I will apologize to them immediately. But I do not think I am
wrong about this.)

OPEN LETTER (archived for global access at:

Leonie Brunt
Information Manager
New Zealand Guidelines Group
(04) 471 4192

Leonie,

Thank you for responding to my post, "Kiwi BREECH lady (Prof. Farquhar)"...

I'm assuming that by "chair" you meant you forwarded my post to Prof.
Farquhar....

Prof. Farquhar wants me to wait and look at the full guideline NEXT MONTH
"to get the context of the messages." (!?)

Why can't Prof. Farquhar tell me NOW "the context of the messages"?

Why can't she reassure me NOW that her guideline "context of the messages"
includes the statement that OBs are knowingly closing birth canals up to 30%
and the fact that women can EASILY allow their birth canals to OPEN the
"extra" up to 30%?

REMEMBER LEONIE... The "Endorsement Copy" of the guideline contains NO
MENTION of this bizarre *breech-relevant*, birth-canal-closing OB behavior;
though there is an allusion to it on p. 34:

"...active labour positions that facilitate the birth of the infant's body
and head are encouraged..."
http://www.nzgg.org.nz/download/file..._Caesarean.pdf

REGARDLESS whether a baby is breech, OBs and midwives should not have to be
*encouraged* to use positions that facilitate the birth of the infant's body
and head!

Again Leonie, as I noted in "Kiwi BREECH lady," OBs and midwives are
KNOWINGLY closing birth canals up to 30%.

Since you are "Information Manager" for the New Zealand Guidelines Group...

PLEASE make sure that this information - the fact that OBs and midwives are
KNOWINGLY closing birth canals up to 30% - is included in the final draft.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - make sure the final draft tells women how EASY it is for
them to offer their babies the "extra" up to 30%, as in,

PREGNANT WOMEN: MDs are KNOWINGLY (see postscript) closing birth canals up
to 30% by using
dorsal and semisitting delivery.

It is EASY for you to allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%.
Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out - or deliver on
hands-and-knees, kneeling, standing, squatting, etc.

BEWARE though: Some MDs and CNMwives will let you "try" "alternative"
delivery positions but will move you back to dorsal or semisitting (close
your birth canal!) as you push your baby out!

Talk to your MD or CNMwife about this TODAY.

NOTE: NZGG's initial "working party" mentioned "best care in labour (pain
relief, POSITION, fluids, etc) as one of five topics to be considered - but
then REJECTED the position-related topic as a focus (!), as in,

"A working party was formed in February 2001 to identify the main issues to
be covered by the guideline. The group met twice and identified five topic
groups that potentially could be addressed by guideline development: [1]
breech position in the latter part of the third trimester [2] vaginal birth
after caesarean (VBAC) [3] slow labour [4] foetal distress [5] best care in
labour (pain relief, POSITION, fluids etc)...In order to manage the breadth
of the topic, it was agreed to first focus on the two topic areas...breech
position...VBAC..."
http://www.nzgg.org.nz/download/file..._Caesarean.pdf

The POSITION topic affects most of the topics - yet it was excluded by the
"working party" as a focus!

WHY!?

Leonie, thank you for having relayed my first email to the breech/c-section
guideline development team chair.

Please forward this message too.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS I will now repeat the PS in my initial email to Prof. Farquhar...

[...]

Also copied to Cindy via
and via

Copied also to New Zealand Community Employment Groups/CEGs
(
www.ceg.govt.nz/contact.asp) - esp. the NELSON CEG...

The NELSON CEG funded recent Pink Kit work...

See NZ-funded Pink Kit birth fraud (Midwife Wintergreen again)

NOTE: Wintergreen is not a midwife - I made a mistake about that - but I am
NOT mistaken about the NZ-funded Pink Kit birth fraud - now apparently being
echoed by the New Zealand Guidelines Group, Inc.

Again...

WHAT is so goddamned hard about telling women that OBs and midwives are
knowingly closing birth canals - and how EASY it is for women to allow their
birth canals to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%?!

It's NOT just NZ...

American and British physicians and midwives are also having a problem with
this.

Again, MDs and MBs and CNMwives *can't* simply stop the massive obstetric
crime because stopping it would be
tantamount to admitting it.

THAT is the problem. Pardons in advance is the solution. See above.

I'll copy the following persons in the Univ. of Auckland Dept. of OB/GYN...
z,
, ,
, ,
, ,
,
, , ,
, ,

,

One final note...

Univ. of Auckland gives no email address for Sir Graham LIGGINS - I hope he
is still with us.

Sir Graham Collingwood Liggins CBE, KB, MBChB (Otago), PhD is though listed
as an emeritus prof. of OB/GYN at Univ. of Auckland...
http://www.obsgynae.auckland.ac.nz/staff/index.htm

Sir Graham Collingwood Liggins caught my eye because...

Univ. of Auckland's Malcolm Battin, MBChB ) tests the
LIGGINS COOLING CAP, as in,

"Malcolm Battin...investigates the clinical effectiveness of the Liggins
cooling cap..."
http://www.liggins.auckland.ac.nz/ou...e/research.php --link now dead

"[S]elective head cooling in birth-asphyxiated term newborn
infants...Twenty-six term infants with Apgar or=6 at 5 minutes or
cord/first arterial pH 7.1, plus evidence of encephalopathy, were
studied....Cooling was achieved by circulating water at 10 degrees C through
a cap placed around the head."
--Malcolm Battin et al. [Pediatrics. 2003 Feb;111(2):244-51. PubMed
abstract]

Malcolm Battin mentioned SHOULDER DYSTOCIA, as in,

"[H]ypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy after delivery complicated by shoulder
dystocia..."
--Malcolm Battin, Mb ChB, MRCP (UK), FRCPCH, FRACP (and Teele RL) [Pediatr
Radiol. 2003 Aug;33(8):559-62. Epub 2003 May 21. Pubmed abstract]

I mentioned to him the simple PROOF (also stated above) that MDs are
knowingly closing birth canals up to 30% and KEEPING birth canals closed in
cases of shoulder dystocia...

See Cooling baby brains (the Liggins Institute)

I got no reponse from Malcolm or any other Liggins Institute researchers...

I'll AGAIN cc Liggins Institute researchers listed with emails - the ones
who received the just cited post:
;
;
;

;

;
;
;
; ;
;

As noted on the subject line:

KIWIS COOL BABY BRAINS/IGNORE BIRTH CRIME...

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

This Open Letter to LEONIE BRUNT will be archived for global access at:

Within 24 hours, it will be in the Google groups archive. Search
http://groups.google.com for "KIWIS COOL BABY BRAINS/IGNORE BIRTH CRIME..."