formula and water

Old June 28th 04, 06:00 PM
Jean

Default formula and water

Hi,

I wonder ... my DD, 5 months old next week, likes to drink water before and
after each feeding! She will take 1 - 2 oz. of water after each meal. Is
this same as adding additional 2 oz of water in the formula? Normally, I use
2.5 scoops of formula with 5 ounces of water. But DD drink additional 2
ounces of water, it will make it 2.5 scoops of formula with 7 oz of water.
Is she getting the right amount of nutritional needs?

Thanks

Old June 28th 04, 10:55 PM
CWatters

"Jean" wrote in message
Hi,

I wonder ... my DD, 5 months old next week, likes to drink water before

and
after each feeding! She will take 1 - 2 oz. of water after each meal. Is
this same as adding additional 2 oz of water in the formula? Normally, I

use
2.5 scoops of formula with 5 ounces of water. But DD drink additional 2
ounces of water, it will make it 2.5 scoops of formula with 7 oz of water.
Is she getting the right amount of nutritional needs?

I'm no expert - I just have two boys age 2.

If DD demands water straight after the formula runs out I would start
offering her more formula (but stick to the makers mixing instructions to
get the ratio right). It's possible she's still hungry and is "filling up"
on the water. Our boys went through phases. They would would eat half
portions for several days then switch to eating double portions for several
days. You never knew how much they were going to take. The doctors don't
seem to worry unless the baby doesn't gain weight.

If in doubt call your nurse or health center.