Reasons for menses early return?

Old February 1st 04, 10:05 PM
Zucca4

Default Reasons for menses early return?

Last month when my period showed up exactly a month after delivery, you all
allayed my fears and told me this was no indication that my milk supply was not
sufficient. My doctor agreed and based on my son's weight gain and the loads
I've been pumping with my wonderful new Avent Isis I believe you all.

My doctor led me to think, however, that as I nursed more and more it probably
wouldn't return. However, today, 28 days later it's back again.

Why do some women get their periods whilst nursing and some not?

Thanks,
lisa
Old February 1st 04, 11:13 PM
iphigenia

Zucca4 wrote:

Why do some women get their periods whilst nursing and some not?

It's hard to say. The average is 9 months postpartum, but some women get it
back much earlier and some much later. Night nursing seems to be a big
factor - less frequent night nursing often triggers the return of
menstruation - but I suspect that there's a strong genetic component to the
return of menses in addition to frequency of nursing.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old February 2nd 04, 12:48 AM
Karen

lisa wrote:
Why do some women get their periods whilst nursing and some not?

AF returned for me different with each pregnancy. #1 1month pp, #2 4mo pp, #3
4 mo pp for two cycles and then it stopped again and has not returned.

Who knows
Karen Ann
Mommy to:
Ashley 11-13-90
Meghan 3-10-97
Hayley "Chunky Monkey" 3-27-03
Old February 2nd 04, 03:21 PM
Leslie

I vote for genetics as the main reason and I'll tell you why: I've had four
fully bf babies, and my periods returned in this order:

4 months; regular thereafter

never got one, pregnant at 3.5. months

first period, 3 months; second one, 7.5 months; regular thereafter

first period, 5 months; regular thereafter

The first two babies each had a spell or sleeping through the night so I agree
night nursing helps. I was tandemming after the third one, thus my better
results there. Number four was nursed constantly, day and night, no bottles,
no pacifiers, no sleeping through, and still you see my results.

My sister has had two bf, co-sleeping, constantly held and nursed babies, and
got her periods back around 4 months as well. That's why I think there's a
genetic component. We are also both extremely fertile. If there is a chance
of getting pregnant, I get pregnant. I think that's related as well.

Leslie

Early risk assesment Rob Pregnancy 21 July 31st 04 02:41 PM
Review: The Return (***) Steve Rhodes General 0 April 9th 04 12:59 AM
Review: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (****) Steve Rhodes General 1 December 11th 03 11:37 PM
Those dreaded Early Release Days--VENT chiam margalit General 139 November 11th 03 08:25 PM
Choosing a preschool Cheryl S. General 58 November 4th 03 02:04 PM