Ponder

Old December 13th 03, 08:55 PM
AlenasMom

Default Ponder

I'm just thinking about breastfeeding and other cultures. (This was sparked
by the "Am I the only one who finds this easy?" thread and by a book I'm
reading called "Fresh Milk" by Fiona Giles.

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries? Things like
mastitis, cracked nipples, blebs, low supply etc.?? Does anyone know? I'm
genuinely curious.

In our culture we go to lactation consultants, doctors, midwives, our
newsgroups etc... but what about places where these aren't available?

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old December 13th 03, 10:17 PM
Dawn Lawson

AlenasMom wrote:

I'm just thinking about breastfeeding and other cultures. (This was sparked
by the "Am I the only one who finds this easy?" thread and by a book I'm
reading called "Fresh Milk" by Fiona Giles.

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries? Things like
mastitis, cracked nipples, blebs, low supply etc.?? Does anyone know? I'm
genuinely curious.

In our culture we go to lactation consultants, doctors, midwives, our
newsgroups etc... but what about places where these aren't available?

In some places, there is this groovy idea called "experience" so that
the knowledge never left the hands of the people that need it.
I would think that is a big contributor...in those countries/areas where
babies ARE bfd.
I find it unutterably sad how much has been lost from our daily lives in
many areas due to "improvements" and "devices"....funny you brought this
up, it was a topic of discussion around tea here yesterday.

Dawn

Old December 13th 03, 10:58 PM
Nina

"AlenasMom" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
I'm just thinking about breastfeeding and other cultures. (This was

sparked
by the "Am I the only one who finds this easy?" thread and by a book I'm
reading called "Fresh Milk" by Fiona Giles.

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries? Things

like
mastitis, cracked nipples, blebs, low supply etc.?? Does anyone know? I'm
genuinely curious.

In our culture we go to lactation consultants, doctors, midwives, our
newsgroups etc... but what about places where these aren't available?

I was pondering as well last night, wondering how other women in the US
decide to breastfeed. For me, it was a natural thing and I have been
genuinley surprised at how difficult and alien we as a culture seem to find
it.
In other cultures, I dont think there is as much a need for professionals
since there are so many people, sisters, friends, aunts, mothers tec, who
have breastfed. At this point, on baby 3# having nursed the others 18 months
each. I dont know anyone personally who has more experience than I do. That
wouldnt happen in a place where its more common
Nina

Old December 13th 03, 11:50 PM
Sara

AlenasMom wrote:

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries?

Veering OT -- what countries are being posted from here? USA, Canada,
Australia, New Zealand, UKofGBandNI, Denmark... that's off the top of
my head. Where else?

--
Sara, feeling global
Old December 14th 03, 12:21 AM
Nina

"Sara" wrote in message
AlenasMom wrote:

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries?

Veering OT -- what countries are being posted from here? USA, Canada,
Australia, New Zealand, UKofGBandNI, Denmark... that's off the top of
my head. Where else?

I read that as "non-western" or "non developed" countries.

Old December 14th 03, 02:20 AM
AlenasMom

"Nina" wrote in message
. ..

"Sara" wrote in message
AlenasMom wrote:

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries?

Veering OT -- what countries are being posted from here? USA, Canada,
Australia, New Zealand, UKofGBandNI, Denmark... that's off the top of
my head. Where else?

I read that as "non-western" or "non developed" countries.

That is what I meant... I have a very muddled head lately

Old December 14th 03, 03:56 AM
AlenasMom

"Molly Fisher" wrote in message
In article
.rogers.com,
"AlenasMom" wrote:

and by a book I'm
reading called "Fresh Milk" by Fiona Giles.

Isn't that book fascinating? If you like pondering any of a wide variety
of bf related topics, there's lots of grist for yer mill in there.

I LOVE it!
It kept me occupied for well over a week while Alena was in hospital!
--
Molly
http://www.sonic.net/~mollyf/

Old December 14th 03, 10:17 AM
Elana Kehoe

Sara wrote:

AlenasMom wrote:

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries?

Veering OT -- what countries are being posted from here? USA, Canada,
Australia, New Zealand, UKofGBandNI, Denmark... that's off the top of
my head. Where else?

Ireland (not part of the UK, but a separate country...I don't think
there's anyone from the north on here...), mainly right near Dublin.
--
It's Tis Herself
Old December 14th 03, 10:17 AM
Elana Kehoe

AlenasMom wrote:

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries? Things like
mastitis, cracked nipples, blebs, low supply etc.?? Does anyone know? I'm
genuinely curious.

I know if I didn't have this group, I'd have almost no outlet. There's
three LC's in Dublin (that I know of). I know there's LLL, but the
meetings are pretty spread apart. My mom and sister are both great
helps as well (they both bf to at least a year, but I've gone longer
than them at this point), and a friend up the road too. But I sure have
had a lot of "Oh, well, if you can't have milk...I'd wean him by now!!
Aren't you good?"

And, hey, did I miss something? You're posting about early pg and bf?!
Are you?! :-)
--
It's Tis Herself