this is why we dont do it

Old May 10th 05, 08:08 PM
Jen

Default this is why we dont do it

I just hate the way pregnancy and labour is so medicalised, especially in
the US. There is absolutely no need to go doing internal exams unless the
woman is clearly in labour. Why cant they just leave well alone?

Old May 10th 05, 11:55 PM
Me Myself and I

Here in NZ I didn't have a single internal done until I went into labour and
even then it was to check on heavy bleeding I was having. They seem to be
(from my experiences) very hands off. Something I am very glad for because
I can't stand them.

How many do you tend to have in the US during a pregnancy?

Pip

--
Abby - 3rd Feb 2005 at 32 weeks 3lb 14oz
Jasmine - 21st Mar 2002 at 35 weeks 4lb 12oz
k...

Old May 11th 05, 12:05 AM
Leanne

I just hate the way pregnancy and labour is so medicalised, especially in
the US. There is absolutely no need to go doing internal exams unless the
woman is clearly in labour. Why cant they just leave well alone?

I didn't have a single internal while pregnant (aus) the only time they were
'hands on' was to do the strip and stretch.

Leanne.

Old May 11th 05, 12:59 AM
Nikki

Me Myself and I wrote:

How many do you tend to have in the US during a pregnancy?

I'm in the US. In pregnancy #1 I had one at my first visit because I was
behind in my annual exams and then I didn't have one again until I was in
labor. In pregnancy #2 I didn't have one at the first appt. because I had
my annual already. I did have two before labor that time. I was being
induced so I consented. We wanted to know how 'ready' I was.

I think they do to many *during* labor and if I ever have a 3rd this will be
one of the things I'll address ahead of time. I don't like them at any time
but I really really really hate them during labor.

--
Nikki

Old May 11th 05, 02:13 AM
Jo

Jen wrote:
I just hate the way pregnancy and labour is so medicalised, especially in
the US. There is absolutely no need to go doing internal exams unless the
woman is clearly in labour. Why cant they just leave well alone?

When the woman is clearly in labour, what is the indication to do an
internal exam anyway? There are MANY other signs of progress in labour
without resorting to violating a woman. Cervical dilatation at a point
in labour tells you nothing about what it will be in the next 2 minutes,
even. VEs can assist in determining a malposition of the baby (ie OP,
asynclytic, etc) if the abdominal palpation is difficult due to maternal
size, etc... and VEs are necessary before doing a vacuum or forceps
birth, but really, they are WAY overused, even in labour.

Jo (RM)
Old May 11th 05, 02:35 AM
Raebo

My midwife (in Canada) asked when I'd had my last annual, it had been
awhile. She said I could have an internal if I wanted but she also
said I might not want one because I'd had two miscarriages and the
risk/fear of an internal may not be worth it. She said I would have to
have one after the birth was completed to check that everything is okay
- other than that I don't expect to have an internal at all during my
pregnancy.

Old May 11th 05, 03:26 AM
Cheryl

On Wed, 11 May 2005 10:55:35 +1200, "Me Myself and I"
wrote:

Here in NZ I didn't have a single internal done until I went into labour and
even then it was to check on heavy bleeding I was having. They seem to be
(from my experiences) very hands off. Something I am very glad for because
I can't stand them.

I didn't have any at all with my last baby, none during the pregnancy
and by the time I got to the hospital in labour it was very clear to
everyone that I was fully dilated and ready to push so there was no
point. With my third I had none during pregnancy and about 3 during
labour at my own request, I was asking the midwife to confirm that I
was as dilated as I felt I would be (and I was right every time).
With the other two I had internals done to assess my chances of a
successful induction.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Old May 11th 05, 04:10 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Me Myself and I wrote:

Here in NZ I didn't have a single internal done until I went into labour and
even then it was to check on heavy bleeding I was having. They seem to be
(from my experiences) very hands off. Something I am very glad for because
I can't stand them.

How many do you tend to have in the US during a pregnancy?

It varies significantly by provider. Some won't do any
until labor is well established, if then. Some will do one at
the first prenatal (possibly including a pap smear) and start
doing them at every visit as you approach term and then hourly
(or even more!) during labor. Most are probably somewhere in
between.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 11th 05, 06:17 AM
Mum of Two

"Jo" wrote in message
Jen wrote:
I just hate the way pregnancy and labour is so medicalised, especially in
the US. There is absolutely no need to go doing internal exams unless the
woman is clearly in labour. Why cant they just leave well alone?

When the woman is clearly in labour, what is the indication to do an
internal exam anyway? There are MANY other signs of progress in labour
without resorting to violating a woman. Cervical dilatation at a point in
labour tells you nothing about what it will be in the next 2 minutes,
even. VEs can assist in determining a malposition of the baby (ie OP,
asynclytic, etc) if the abdominal palpation is difficult due to maternal
size, etc... and VEs are necessary before doing a vacuum or forceps birth,
but really, they are WAY overused, even in labour.

Wow! Can we clone you? :-)

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old May 11th 05, 08:06 AM
Sarah

I'm in NZ and had no internals at all in my pregnancy and only had them in
labour when I requested them - as I had a very long labour and wanted to
know where I was at. In NZ women have the choice of midwife or doctor, or
both, and the home birth midwives are very good and there is no cost for
having a home birth. I feel so fortunate to be in a country where there are
so many awesome midwives who encourage natural birth and remind women that
it is a natural process.

Sarah
DD born 28.06.03
#2 EDD 24.12.05