ALASKA: Criminal Non-support now going ot be a felony...much more

Old May 12th 04, 01:08 PM
Editor - Child Support News

Default ALASKA: Criminal Non-support now going ot be a felony...much more

In Alaska, Child Support "Investigators" are apparently issued bulletproof
vests. You may recall that there was an attempt to arm them eariler this
year...

Here's what the final legislation looks like:

http://www.akrepublicans.org/kott/23...kott_hb514.php

We all need to spend some money and call the Governor's Office. They seem to
be escalating things in Alaska.

Old May 12th 04, 01:25 PM
Gini52

In article , Editor - Child Support News
says...

In Alaska, Child Support "Investigators" are apparently issued bulletproof
vests. You may recall that there was an attempt to arm them eariler this
year...

Here's what the final legislation looks like:

http://www.akrepublicans.org/kott/23...kott_hb514.php

We all need to spend some money and call the Governor's Office. They seem to
be escalating things in Alaska.

====
This legislation also gives judges the ability to reduce arrears owed to the
state and indicates that 70 percent of CS owed is owed by NCPs earning under 10k
a year. Interesting. It seems some government folks are finally realizing that
CS guidelines are too high.
====

(PLEASE NOTE: I never bottom-sign my posts.
Check Headers to Verify the Authenticity of This Post)

Old May 12th 04, 09:34 PM
Gini52

In article , Werebat says...

Gini52 wrote:

In article , Editor - Child Support News
says...

In Alaska, Child Support "Investigators" are apparently issued bulletproof
vests. You may recall that there was an attempt to arm them eariler this
year...

Here's what the final legislation looks like:

http://www.akrepublicans.org/kott/23...kott_hb514.php

We all need to spend some money and call the Governor's Office. They seem to
be escalating things in Alaska.

====
This legislation also gives judges the ability to reduce arrears owed to the
state and indicates that 70 percent of CS owed is owed by NCPs earning under 10k
a year. Interesting. It seems some government folks are finally realizing that
CS guidelines are too high.
====

So... Is this legislation a good thing, or a bad thing?

====
CS legislation sometimes has two dimensions--For every inch it gives the NCP, it
gives the CP a foot. Since this is the only way to get any progress, it beats
nothing at all. This legislation can be significant for NCPs whose ex's are on
welfare. The state has the right to reduce the arrears owed to it--not what is
owed the CP. However, it is my understanding that when a CP goes on welfare, she
signs her rights to arrearages to the state. What they are saying is that they
will reduce the arrearages and negotiate a current amount according to what the
NCP can be expected to afford. The reasoning is that NCPs get so burdoned with
arrears, that they simply walk and no one gets anything. The state is offering
the NCP a carrot.
====

And how reliable is that 70% statistic?

====
Don't know--you'll have to check their source. I did not.
====
That one would be a nice
chestnut to use in informal discussions.

- Ron ^*^

Old May 12th 04, 10:38 PM
Werebat

Gini52 wrote:

[...]

And how reliable is that 70% statistic? That one would be a nice