me and my 3.5 yo

Old June 11th 04, 04:26 PM
Stephanie Stowe

Default me and my 3.5 yo

I am having trouble with discipline with my 3.5 yo. I am finding that I do
not know what to expect from him. What things that I want to change are
reasonable to change and what are the best ways to do it. My ped recommended
a book by Brazleton. I wanted to get a reading from you all about this guy.
At first I thought he was the right-wing nutcase who advocates scheduled
feeding, even for breastfed babies and a spare the rod, spoil the child
approach for discipline. What is that guy's name? I cannot remember.

Anyway, Brazleton seems OK from the reviews I see on amazon. Anyone have any
comments. I am interested particularly in loving discipline. I want a
harmonious household that people like to be in, so constant power struggles
are not for me. On the other hand, I do not beleive that positive parenting
has to mean no parenting. I would like constructive suggestions on how to
acheive some of this.

Thoughts?

Old June 11th 04, 04:35 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Stephanie Stowe" wrote:

I am having trouble with discipline with my 3.5 yo. I am finding that I do
not know what to expect from him. What things that I want to change are
reasonable to change and what are the best ways to do it. My ped recommended
a book by Brazleton. I wanted to get a reading from you all about this guy.
At first I thought he was the right-wing nutcase who advocates scheduled
feeding, even for breastfed babies and a spare the rod, spoil the child
approach for discipline. What is that guy's name? I cannot remember.

I like Brazelton.

You might be thinking of John Rosemond? He writes a parent advice
column, and I find I often disagree with him. He's pretty opposed to
co-sleeping, among other things, and has a more rigid approach to
parenting than I like.

Old June 11th 04, 05:55 PM
Dally

Stephanie Stowe wrote:
[...]

I've always liked Brazelton. He wrote a book called "Working & Caring"
about using daycare that saved my sanity. (It was the first book that
didn't suggest the child would grow up to be a mass murderer.)

I like that he shows a variety of babies - gives a range of normal - in
his examples.

I also liked Penolope Leach.

All in all, I think the more you read the better off you are, since even
if you disagree with someone you'll be able to articulate more why you
disagree.

Oh, and don't forget "The Magic Years" - the best book about being three
ever!

-- Dally

Old June 11th 04, 05:58 PM
Sue

I have always like Brazelton. He has a gentle way about him. He used to have
a TV show when my first was a baby, but I am not sure about now. Three year
olds need to be able to make some choices on their own and have some
independence, but at the same time they are afraid of being too big. It's a
hard time for them.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 11th 04, 06:03 PM
Circe

dragonlady wrote:
In article ,
"Stephanie Stowe" wrote:
I am having trouble with discipline with my 3.5 yo. I am finding
that I do not know what to expect from him. What things that I
want to change are reasonable to change and what are the best ways
to do it. My ped recommended a book by Brazleton. I wanted to get
a reading from you all about this guy. At first I thought he was
the right-wing nutcase who advocates scheduled feeding, even for
breastfed babies and a spare the rod, spoil the child approach for
discipline. What is that guy's name? I cannot remember.

I like Brazelton.

You might be thinking of John Rosemond?

I think she might be thinking of Ezzo (at least when it comes to scheduled
feedings and the like).

He writes a parent advice
column, and I find I often disagree with him. He's pretty opposed
to co-sleeping, among other things, and has a more rigid approach to
parenting than I like.

There's also Dobson in this camp.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old June 11th 04, 06:05 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"Circe" wrote in message
dragonlady wrote:
In article ,
"Stephanie Stowe" wrote:
I am having trouble with discipline with my 3.5 yo. I am finding
that I do not know what to expect from him. What things that I
want to change are reasonable to change and what are the best ways
to do it. My ped recommended a book by Brazleton. I wanted to get
a reading from you all about this guy. At first I thought he was
the right-wing nutcase who advocates scheduled feeding, even for
breastfed babies and a spare the rod, spoil the child approach for
discipline. What is that guy's name? I cannot remember.

I like Brazelton.

You might be thinking of John Rosemond?

I think she might be thinking of Ezzo (at least when it comes to scheduled
feedings and the like).

That's it! Ezzo.

Old June 11th 04, 07:01 PM
Denise Anderson

"Stephanie Stowe" wrote in message
I am having trouble with discipline with my 3.5 yo. I am finding that I do
not know what to expect from him. What things that I want to change are
reasonable to change and what are the best ways to do it. My ped

recommended
a book by Brazleton.

I like Brazleton. Someone else recommended Penelope Leach, and I'd like to
second that suggestion. Of course with any books, you're just gonna have to
read them and come away with your own ideas on how to apply their principles
to you're parenting style.

Denise

Old June 11th 04, 08:26 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Stephanie Stowe wrote:

I am having trouble with discipline with my 3.5 yo. I am finding that I do
not know what to expect from him. What things that I want to change are
reasonable to change and what are the best ways to do it. My ped recommended
a book by Brazleton. I wanted to get a reading from you all about this guy.
At first I thought he was the right-wing nutcase who advocates scheduled
feeding, even for breastfed babies and a spare the rod, spoil the child
approach for discipline. What is that guy's name? I cannot remember.

Dobson? Ezzo?

Anyway, Brazleton seems OK from the reviews I see on amazon. Anyone have any
comments. I am interested particularly in loving discipline. I want a
harmonious household that people like to be in, so constant power struggles
are not for me. On the other hand, I do not beleive that positive parenting
has to mean no parenting. I would like constructive suggestions on how to
acheive some of this.

I like Brazelton for the most part. He has the
obnoxious soothing pediatrician voice, but I suppose that
wouldn't be an issue with a book ;-) He takes a very
developmental approach. Some people feel that he's a
bit too harsh on working parents (seems to have a lot of
sympathy for them, but doesn't always have suggestions
that work all that well for a two-parents-working-outside-
the-home family). He's not much for power struggles.
Sounds like he'd be worth a shot for you, though there
are other authors you might like as well.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 11th 04, 08:27 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Denise Anderson wrote:

Someone else recommended Penelope Leach, and I'd like to
second that suggestion.

Me too. She's one of my favorites. She's so
level-headed and sensible, plus I like her politics ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 12th 04, 12:59 AM
Circe

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Denise Anderson wrote:
Someone else recommended Penelope Leach, and I'd like to
second that suggestion.

Me too. She's one of my favorites. She's so
level-headed and sensible, plus I like her politics ;-)

Me three, except I don't have any idea what her politics are. (But I figure
she can't be a right wing nutjob or she wouldn't be so sensible in the first
place g!)