Found a doula

Old September 17th 03, 03:27 PM
Em

Default Found a doula

"Naomi Rivkis" wrote in message
I just got finished meeting with a doula I've decided I like. She's
relatively inexperienced -- only two births so far, still working
toward certification -- but she did some work before that as a
caregiver on a psychiatric ward. Anyone who has ever been a patient on
a psych ward (which I have) will tell you that the direct caregivers,
the nurse's aides and suchlike, are a patient's first and best
resource if they allow themselves to be, and she seems like a good
one. Since I'm particularly worried about how my mental illnesses,
especially my panic disorder, will play into the experience of
childbirth, that's really important to me.

snip

I'm glad you found a doula that you like! She sounds good--I think the
personality and values "click" is of great importance. Experience is
valueable too, but if you don't feel like the two of you are a good
persoanlity match, then is doesn't matter *how* many births she's been to!
When I hired our doula at about 20 weeks, she had only done three "official"
births as a doula (others before she started her certification process
though). I was a little bit nervous about hiring a "newbie," but felt like
we had a certain connection. As it is, she has now been to five more births
since I hired her and has four other clients due after I am, so she isn't
nearly as much of a newbie now as she was when I first hired her! The same
thing may happen with your doula.

Also got my initial blood tests back, with everything in normal range.
I'm slowly whittling down the things I have to be terrified about --
the next big hurdle is the AFP test, which is next week and will tell
me about the possibility of Down's Syndrome or spinal bifida. Neither
are especially likely, but I'll breathe a lot easier when they're
ruled out.

Hope the other tests turn out great!

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old September 17th 03, 07:34 PM
Cheryl S.

Naomi Rivkis wrote in message
In my way of thinking, the neonatologist's job is to look
after the welfare of my baby, the obstetrician or midwife's
job is to look after the welfare of us both, but the doula's
job is to look after me and my comfort, period. She's
my chance to be selfish, and I'm taking it. So I'm pleased
with this woman and I think we'll work well.

I had a doula for my second birth but not my first. What you said above
is exactly right. All of my doula's attention was solely on me and what
I needed. It was great. For example, in transition, when I started to
feel too hot, I had *just* started to wish for a cool cloth on my head,
and there it was. I didn't even have to say anything. It sounds like
you've found someone you're very comfortable with, which is the most
important thing. Better than having the most experienced doula in the
world, if you weren't comfortable around her, IMHO.

I hope all your tests have reassuring results.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 5 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Osama Found Hanged -- MALICIOUS CODE ALERT Byron Canfield General 2 July 23rd 04 03:04 AM
found a new inco-supplier san General 0 March 25th 04 08:06 PM
OT- for Americans - found this of interest (x-posted) toto General 31 November 10th 03 03:31 AM
I found a great site...m Chotii Pregnancy 0 August 18th 03 10:32 PM
Catastrophic History Lesson -- MAN AS OLD AS COAL svanier General 0 July 7th 03 10:24 AM