Doula questions

Old February 5th 04, 03:27 AM
Auntie Bubbles

Default Doula questions

Okay, I posted earlier that I had been talking to a doula, but I would like
some input from those of you with experience about what to ask her when I
meet with her on Friday.
I liked her demeanor on the phone, and she seemed to appreciate the research
that I had done. I plan on having her with me while I labor at home and
then accompany me to the hospital, staying with me only if my sister can't
make it from 9 hours away.
She will also give me and DH Lamaze coaching. Her charge for this (barring
having to be with me for hours at the hospital) is $275.00. That seems
reasonable.
Any advice or input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alexis
EDD 4/21/04
Beanie #1

Old February 5th 04, 06:15 PM
Auntie Bubbles

"Elfanie" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 03:27:11 GMT, "Auntie Bubbles"
wrote:

Okay, I posted earlier that I had been talking to a doula, but I would

like
some input from those of you with experience snip

well...as a doula, I charge $475
and if I teach their childbirth classes as well as being their doula,
the fee is upped to $525

$275 sounds MORE than reasonable!!

I thought so as well!

As for what to ask her...I'd just try to get to know her and get a
feel for how she makes you feel. That's much more important than
whether she's certified, or how many births she's attended...

On the phone she made me feel smart and seemed really interested in helping
me with my birth.

Oh, I woudl ask her how she feels about supporting your choices and
what you want. Some doulas, for example, aren't as comfortable
supporting a woman who plans on requesting an epidural...or aren't as
comfortable with an intervention-filled labor/delivery....
so depending on what you want..you might wnat to feel her out and see
if you think you'd feel supported with whatever kind of birth you're
wanting.

I plan on laboring at home as long as possible and have NO interventions,
and she is right in line with me on that.
I am looking forward to meeting her tomorrow, thanks for the advice. It
looks like I will be making a good choice.
Alexis

Stephanie Soderblom CLD CCCE CD(DONA) ICD
Mesa, AZ
Mommy to Mikael 5/9/95 - Kerstyn 8/6/99 - and Kevin 8/30/02
Student Midwife
Birth Doula / Childbirth Educator / Pregnancy and Birth Photography

http://www.birthdiaries.com - Birth Story Diaries=REAL BIRTHS = REAL

PHOTOS

Old February 5th 04, 07:54 PM
Chotii

wrote:

[...]

She sounds very reasonable to me. Ask her a few more questions (if you
haven't already):

"Who is your backup, if for any reason you cannot come?"
"What is an absolutely failsafe way of contacting you?*"
"What percentage of your fee will be refunded if for any reason you cannot
be with me to support me?"

--angela

* My doula left her pager in the living room, went to her bedroom to lie
down for a bit in the evening, and woke up the next morning at 7am. She
found her pager - and our many pages - and called the hospital 5 minutes
after the baby was born. I had no home phone number for her, nor any backup
doula. My husband did an absolutely fantastic job of supporting me, after
believing the whole time that it would not be his job (which was a lot less
stress for both of us). But we were disappointed in her to say the least.
She had wanted $300 for her support. She made sure we understood we didn't
owe her a penny, despite all the prenatal support she'd given. But it was
still.....well, disappointing.

Another child killed in kincare Kane General 39 February 12th 04 06:55 PM
VBAC consult and questions larissa Pregnancy 0 October 31st 03 11:04 PM
Found a doula Em Pregnancy 1 September 17th 03 07:34 PM
repost on questions to ask pediiatrition daisy Pregnancy 14 July 19th 03 12:56 AM
A few random questions... Em Pregnancy 9 July 12th 03 01:56 AM