How long for alcohol to leave BM?

Old January 1st 04, 12:05 AM
*Hunee*

Default How long for alcohol to leave BM?

Hi everyone and a Happy New Year!

I celebrated last night with a few too many, and I was wondering how long
the alcohol will stay in my breastmilk.
I gave my DD a bottle last night but put her on the breast this morning.
DH wants me to pump and dump for 3 days but I think this is too long.

TIA.
:-)

*~*~*Trish*~*~*
Mum to 5 wonderful human beings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.a3.com.au
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old January 1st 04, 12:06 AM
Dawn Lawson

*Hunee* wrote:
Hi everyone and a Happy New Year!

I celebrated last night with a few too many, and I was wondering how long
the alcohol will stay in my breastmilk.
I gave my DD a bottle last night but put her on the breast this morning.
DH wants me to pump and dump for 3 days but I think this is too long.

Ridiculous
There's no need at all to pump and dump, nor to give a bottle.
If you are too drunk to drive (here anyhow) your BA level is 0.08% which
will be the alcohol level of your breastmilk.
For comparison, gripe water with alcohol is 3% alcohol.
Alcohol stays in your breast milk as long as it stays in your blood.
Breast fed babies whose mothers have consumed alcohol may nurse more
frequently but for shorter periods of time.

Dawn

Old January 1st 04, 06:32 AM
Irrational Number

*Hunee* wrote:
Hi everyone and a Happy New Year!

I celebrated last night with a few too many, and I was wondering how long
the alcohol will stay in my breastmilk.
I gave my DD a bottle last night but put her on the breast this morning.
DH wants me to pump and dump for 3 days but I think this is too long.

Happy New Year!

Do not pump and dump. When they give you those
warnings about alcohol, they're talking about
people who drink every day and that gets into
the baby. Once in a great while is not a big
deal, especially since the amount that gets into
the milk is very low.

I've had a couple of glasses of wine at Halloween
and Thanksgiving. Pillbug was never even sleepier
than usual; it seemed like there was no effect!

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old January 1st 04, 10:14 AM
teapot

"*Hunee*" wrote in message . au...
Hi everyone and a Happy New Year!

I celebrated last night with a few too many, and I was wondering how long
the alcohol will stay in my breastmilk.
I gave my DD a bottle last night but put her on the breast this morning.
DH wants me to pump and dump for 3 days but I think this is too long.

3 days, no way! I looked up what damage the odd drink or 3 does to
the baby and the only thing it affects (that I could find out about)
is motor co-ordination in a young baby and that levels out when they
get older. This was about light to moderate drinking though, not
getting raddled every day :-)

teapot
Old January 1st 04, 05:10 PM
Naomi Pardue

Um, here in NSW we are legally too drunk to drive at 0.05% -- is yours 0.1%?

Varies from state to state. Most are either .1% or .08. I don't know of any
states where it's ,05%. (However, the main point of the figure was to explain
that, even if mom is solidly plastered, the milk is still going to contain only
a fraction of the amount of alcohol that would be found in any actual alcoholic
beverage, and so would not do any harm to the baby.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old January 1st 04, 05:15 PM
Andrea

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
"*Hunee*" wrote in message

. au...
Hi everyone and a Happy New Year!

I celebrated last night with a few too many, and I was wondering how

long
the alcohol will stay in my breastmilk.
I gave my DD a bottle last night but put her on the breast this morning.
DH wants me to pump and dump for 3 days but I think this is too long.

3 days, no way! I looked up what damage the odd drink or 3 does to
the baby and the only thing it affects (that I could find out about)
is motor co-ordination in a young baby and that levels out when they
get older. This was about light to moderate drinking though, not
getting raddled every day :-)

teapot

Bring on the party!

I *wish* lol!
--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 6 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

Old January 1st 04, 07:32 PM
Tine Andersen

"Naomi Pardue" skrev i en meddelelse
Um, here in NSW we are legally too drunk to drive at 0.05% -- is yours

0.1%?

Varies from state to state. Most are either .1% or .08. I don't know of

any
states where it's ,05%. (However, the main point of the figure was to

explain
that, even if mom is solidly plastered, the milk is still going to contain

only
a fraction of the amount of alcohol that would be found in any actual

alcoholic
beverage, and so would not do any harm to the baby.)

Used to be 0.08 here in Denmark. I believe it's 0.05% now.

Tine, Denmark

Old January 1st 04, 11:00 PM
Naomi Pardue

I looked up what damage the odd drink or 3 does to
the baby and the only thing it affects (that I could find out about)
is motor co-ordination in a young baby and that levels out when they
get older. This was about light to moderate drinking though, not
getting raddled every day :-)

And even that study looked at daily alcohol use by the mother (2-3 drinks a
day, every day), NOT occassional use, even occassional heavy indulgence.

Old January 5th 04, 02:56 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 19:32:13 +0100, "Tine Andersen"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
Used to be 0.08 here in Denmark. I believe it's 0.05% now.

This made me smile, since I remember there being some point made about
it applying to cyclists as well as motorists. In my student days,
many a cyclist weaved back from the city centre extremely drunk!

Megan
(ex-Odense University)
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com