Eating patterns

Old July 31st 06, 08:55 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
eva

Default Eating patterns

Hello Everyone. My Cayenne is now 3 1/2 months and she still varies in
her eating habits. Last weeks she would eat every 4 hours at daycare
and then today she wants to eat every 3 hours and since I go to nurse
her it makes it hard to manipulate my schedule to meet hers. My first
question is when do babies begin to have a set schedule when they are
breastfed? Second question is this weekend we went out quite a bit and
at times Cayenne would sleep for 6 hours straight and not eat at all ..
of course by then I was ready to bust!! .... will this hurt my milk
supply? If so is there anything I should do to try and counter this?
There was no way I could pump while I was out and didn't want to wake
her since she was sleeping so well ... Now I am starting to wonder if I
may have messed up. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!
Eva

Old August 1st 06, 01:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"eva" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Everyone. My Cayenne is now 3 1/2 months and she still varies in
her eating habits.

Mine are 3.5mos and they vary a lot too.

My first
question is when do babies begin to have a set schedule when they are
breastfed?

My second got his schedule going when he had a schedule of solids so around
7mos.

Second question is this weekend we went out quite a bit and
at times Cayenne would sleep for 6 hours straight and not eat at all ..
of course by then I was ready to bust!! .... will this hurt my milk
supply?

IME that sort of thing doesn't hurt supply. The only time I would worry is
if this was very frequent and the same time of day.

Sounds like you are doing great :-)
--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old August 2nd 06, 04:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

If your milk is building up it means that you are not using it and the
supply will adjust acording to the amount your child takes. From my
expierence it takes days of neglect for any damage to be adjusted, not
just one incident.

As your babies get older they estblish the schedules don't be afraid
to encourage them in a particular direction to make working and BFing
work for y'all. For example, if your baby takes juice or oatmeal or
pumped milk you can offer it during your work hours at daycare. When I
worked while BFing my first child I pumped when I got home and she
would get that milk the next day while I was working. While I was at
home she nursed and did not seem confused with the switches. If your
daycare allows it you can request a particular worker to do the babies
feeding so that your baby establishes a routine, instead of being
switched from one person to another.