Front teeth coming in - brown?!

Old August 2nd 06, 01:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Brookben

Default Front teeth coming in - brown?!

My DD is 7 months and has three teeth - one top incisor and both front
lower teeth.

Today, I noticed her front top teeth coming in - and they're brown!!!!
Granted, the teeth are barely through... maybe this is just bruising of
the gum and not cavities?!

I've been told not to let Lily go to sleep nursing due to cavities, but
- I do let her nightnurse because since bm has antibacterial properties
in it, I felt the risk of cavities is low... maybe I'm wrong?!

Old August 2nd 06, 04:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Marie

"Brookben" wrote in message
ps.com...
My DD is 7 months and has three teeth - one top incisor and both front
lower teeth.

Today, I noticed her front top teeth coming in - and they're brown!!!!
Granted, the teeth are barely through... maybe this is just bruising of
the gum and not cavities?!

I've been told not to let Lily go to sleep nursing due to cavities, but
- I do let her nightnurse because since bm has antibacterial properties
in it, I felt the risk of cavities is low... maybe I'm wrong?!

Did she have to take any meds before? Or did you while pregnant? Maybe it's
an antibiotic, but I do know there's a medication that makes the baby's
teeth come in discolored somehow. It's not a normal kind of med though, not
anything OTC. Can't recall the name!
Of course, they could look that way because you can't see them yet, and are
seeing them through her gums. See in a few days how they look.
Marie

Old August 2nd 06, 04:41 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
sharonx9

Iron drops will do the same thing or a high fever just ass the teeth were
developing.

--

**
Sharon

Old August 2nd 06, 07:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
A & L Lane

"Brookben" wrote in message
ps.com...
My DD is 7 months and has three teeth - one top incisor and both front
lower teeth.

Today, I noticed her front top teeth coming in - and they're brown!!!!
Granted, the teeth are barely through... maybe this is just bruising of
the gum and not cavities?!

I've been told not to let Lily go to sleep nursing due to cavities, but
- I do let her nightnurse because since bm has antibacterial properties
in it, I felt the risk of cavities is low... maybe I'm wrong?!

Talk to a paediatric dentist soon if you can. I ignored this exact
situation with my youngest and he ended up having his top two teeth pulled
out. They looked wrong from the start and I thought the same as you because
we all hear this - unfortunately, there is a "bad bug" around that if it
gets into the mouth, the anti-bacterial properties of breast milk are not
enough to stave off decay. I wish I had cut out night nursing much earlier
but I didnt partly because I was fooling myself that the night nursing was
not contributing to the problem. Because my oldest son weaned earlier than
I was happy with, I was prepared to allow the night nursing to encourage a
longer nursing time with my youngest - we weaned abruptly in response to the
dental situation at 2 years, 9 months - a few days before general
anaesthetic and lots of major dentail repair work. I think we could have
had a slightly different outcome if I had acted earlier - I am not
suggesting weaning, just try and research this issue thoroughly and try to
look after those teeth. These unlucky kids just need a lot more work to
keep their teeth ok and sometimes nursing might need to be adjusted a bit -
my reading of the problem is that nursing does not cause the problem (like a
bottle does) but when you have an unfortunate combination of other factors,
night nursing can contribute to it.

just my 2 bobs worth
Leah

Old August 2nd 06, 02:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

The medication that can cause this is tetracycline, I believe.

Shortly after my 4th baby's teeth came in, the enamel started chipping
off of them. By the time he was a toddler, whole pieces of his two
front teeth were falling off. He had to have pulpotomies and crowns on
those, and the adjacent ones pulled. A little over a year ago one of
the teeth cracked to the root so now he has four missing teeth and will
until he's seven or so and the permanent ones grow in.

I took a lot of flak from the dentist for extended night nursing and
they wanted to put the blame on that somehow, but I knew his teeth had
been wrong from the get-go. I suspect I had an infection while those
teeth were forming. Lorelei is almost two and our nursing patterns
have been just the same, and her teeth are fine. I never did stop
night nursing William. I just couldn't. By the time anyone suggested
it, his teeth were already in terrible shape anyway and I just don't
think the nursing was that big of a factor.

I hope that when her teeth come all the way in, it turns out you were
mistaken about the color. But if they are brown, go ahead and have her
evaluated right away. Mothering magazine had a great article on
breastfeeding and tooth decay a few years ago--you might want to look
and see if they have it in their archives.

Leslie

Old August 2nd 06, 06:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I truly don't think this is anything to do with nursing. It can be caused by
some medicines and also too much or too little of some minerals. It's also
possible that what you are seeing is not yet the teeth, so watch and wait,
if they come through and they are brown, then get her into the dentist and
find out what is causing it.

Anne

Old August 4th 06, 03:05 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Brookben

no meds at all - I barely take ibuprofen and she sometimes has some
motrin for teething pain... it really puzzles me!

I'll take the advice and just wait and see. She HATES for me to look
in her mouth, so I have to make her giggle and hope the light is just
right to see - but today I *think* the teeth looked OK. We'll see!

Misti

Marie wrote:
ps.com...

Old August 5th 06, 04:35 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Are you sure that it is not just dried blood from breaking through her
gums? Blood plus biter biscuits(for example) could make for a grimy
situation.

Do you brush her gums? There are some nifty gum brushes with floride
free paste that are recommended for newborns until they cut teeth.

My brother grew up with plaque on his teeth the doc said it was from
antibiotics he took for a infection in his knee when he was a toddler.
He still has the plaque......and it is not due to his hygenie he is
qiut paranoid by it, he has even tried to OTC bleaches.

Amoxicillin May Damage Infants' Teeth Roman Bystrianyk Kids Health 3 October 7th 05 05:43 PM
Infant formula, mass child abuse, EPA - and kids' teeth 'grossenough to gag a maggot' Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 5 September 12th 05 07:27 PM
20mth Toddler's teeth stained - only started brushing them now [email protected] Pregnancy 29 April 21st 05 09:31 PM
Question about baby teeth KD General 4 March 2nd 05 04:57 PM
empathy in parenting M.E. Mitchell Solutions 55 December 29th 03 07:42 PM