Ponder

Old December 15th 03, 11:10 AM
Cath

Default Ponder

Sara wrote:

AlenasMom wrote:

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries?

Veering OT -- what countries are being posted from here? USA, Canada,
Australia, New Zealand, UKofGBandNI, Denmark... that's off the top of
my head. Where else?

I occasionally post - I'm in the Netherlands.
I don't think the bf culture is very much different here.
This country is a bit more friendly than the US in regard to feeding and
working. Till your child is 9 month you're allowed to spend one quarter
of your work hours pumping or feeding. And every workplace has to have a
space for pumping. At my workplace there is a really nice pumping room
with a fridge, a comfy chair, and it's nice and warm.

Cath
Mom to Fenna, 07/05/03
Old December 15th 03, 02:03 PM
AlenasMom

"Elana Kehoe" wrote in message
AlenasMom wrote:

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries? Things

like
mastitis, cracked nipples, blebs, low supply etc.?? Does anyone know?

I'm
genuinely curious.

I know if I didn't have this group, I'd have almost no outlet. There's
three LC's in Dublin (that I know of). I know there's LLL, but the
meetings are pretty spread apart. My mom and sister are both great
helps as well (they both bf to at least a year, but I've gone longer
than them at this point), and a friend up the road too. But I sure have
had a lot of "Oh, well, if you can't have milk...I'd wean him by now!!
Aren't you good?"

And, hey, did I miss something? You're posting about early pg and bf?!
Are you?! :-)

I'm still not sure. I'm going to skip the pee stick and get a blood test
instead. Right now I hope not and that I just have the flu. Alena's sick
and I'm wiped out.
The chances are still pretty low being that she's always nursing and I
still haven't had AF.

--
It's Tis Herself

Old December 15th 03, 02:05 PM
AlenasMom

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I'm just thinking about breastfeeding and other cultures. (This was

sparked
by the "Am I the only one who finds this easy?" thread and by a book

I'm
reading called "Fresh Milk" by Fiona Giles.

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries? Things

like
mastitis, cracked nipples, blebs, low supply etc.?? Does anyone know?

I'm
genuinely curious.

In our culture we go to lactation consultants, doctors, midwives, our
newsgroups etc... but what about places where these aren't available?

perhaps they actually talk! I would consider myself lucky in that most
people I know breastfeed, my mum breastfed etc. but I don't ask them when
I have problems I ask you lot, it's just not done to talk about breasts
or breastfeeding. I only have one close friend who I can talk about it

to,
but that's only recently, we never talked about it 6 months ago, even
though we were both feeding new borns at the time.

It's the same with pregnancy and labour things, yesterday at lunch I was
talking to my friend who is now 42 weeks pregnant, she'll probably end up
being induced on Thursday. She was obviously quite happy to hear what I
had to say, wanting to know what induction was like etc. but all the men
kept groaning about the conversation. She seems like she needs more info
about breastfeeding, but hasn't gone out to get it herself and it's
frowned upon to talk about it, grrrr. She'll end up mixed feeding I
expect.

See, but why is it like that? It shouldn't be! Our babies and ourselves for
that matter, are suffering for it! It's the same with men! If they have a
problem with their penises they don't talk about it! It's ridiculous!!!
I hate it.
Just thought I'd share that rant.

Old December 15th 03, 04:06 PM
XOR

"AlenasMom" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
I'm just thinking about breastfeeding and other cultures. (This was sparked
by the "Am I the only one who finds this easy?" thread and by a book I'm
reading called "Fresh Milk" by Fiona Giles.

What do women do for breastfeeding problems in other countries? Things like
mastitis, cracked nipples, blebs, low supply etc.?? Does anyone know? I'm
genuinely curious.

In our culture we go to lactation consultants, doctors, midwives, our
newsgroups etc... but what about places where these aren't available?

For most of the year I work in a "traditional" society in Southeast
Asia, dealing primarily with pregnant mothers/new infants who are
refugees. One would expect a long tradition of breastfeeding and
experience passed down. However, due to the fact that this region has
been long under the assistance of NGOs who are supplied/funded by
corporate donors, FF has become surprisingly common. Combined with the
upheavels of war and the resulting disjointed families, the
'experience' is lost. The western healthcare workers there now really
push BF and BF education. We don't have LC's, and only a couple of
MD's, but many midwives who are well-trained BF. In the refugee
camps the clinics are well established and staffed daily. All pg women
visit and receive education and health care on all aspects, including
BF, new mothers are encouraged to come as well, esp. for problems. If
the mothers are residents of the camp, it is easy to get to them and
provide assistance. However, many are not residents and come from a
day's walk away or more, so getting them back for education and help
is difficult. Similarly, the village clinics are only visited once per
week, and mothers come from very far away, so getting help is often
difficult.

One huge problem is that if a person ends up going to the hospital in
town for a birth, they get supplied with free formula. Eventually
they run out of formula, don't know how to BF/haven't established BF,
formula isn't available where they go, and they buy condensed milk
instead. Baby suffers malnutrition. Very sad.

In other parts of the country - which have traditional, rural
communities (and are relatively stable - ie no war), BF is the norm,
and guidance is sought from elders. In the cities or middle class and
above communities, FF is the norm and BF is really looked down upon,
but this is relatively recent (last 20 or so years), and the public
health organisations are working hard to reverse this, including
training midwives and LC's. The problem at the moment is merely
perception - BF is looked down upon, so women are reluctant to try it.
Old December 15th 03, 04:52 PM
Elana Kehoe

AlenasMom wrote:

I'm still not sure. I'm going to skip the pee stick and get a blood test
instead. Right now I hope not and that I just have the flu. Alena's sick
and I'm wiped out.
The chances are still pretty low being that she's always nursing and I
still haven't had AF.

Still can happen. I want to say fingers crossed for you, but I don't
know which way you would want it to go. I'ts been a little...busy...in
your life lately.
--
It's Tis Herself
Old December 15th 03, 07:13 PM
XOR

[...]

A couple of years ago I was out for pizza with a group of male friends
- 5 of them, all late 20s/early 30s, all single, all childless. I was
the only female. Somehow the conversation turned to breastfeeding and
babies. I contributed very little to the conversation, it was all the
guys talking about the pros of BF and extended bf, bf in other
cultures, and so on. And the discussion was all perfectly normal,
everyday conversation as far as they were concerned. I commented later
to one of them that I found it interesting (in a good way) that a
group of single, childless men in their late 20s were discussing the
pros of BF and he looked at me like I had 2 heads - "Why wouldn't we?"
This may be skewed by the fact that they were all educated (MS/PhD
level), and a few were biologists may have something to do with it.
Old December 15th 03, 07:34 PM
AlenasMom

AlenasMom wrote:

I'm still not sure. I'm going to skip the pee stick and get a blood

test
instead. Right now I hope not and that I just have the flu. Alena's

sick
and I'm wiped out.
The chances are still pretty low being that she's always nursing and I
still haven't had AF.

Still can happen. I want to say fingers crossed for you, but I don't
know which way you would want it to go. I'ts been a little...busy...in
your life lately.
--
It's Tis Herself

I don't know what I want either! LOL I mean, getting pregnant so easily
would be kind of ... well funny, considering we went through three years of
hell to have Alena.
I'm just not sure if I'm ready for another one yet.

Old December 15th 03, 07:37 PM
Dawn Lawson

XOR wrote:

A couple of years ago I was out for pizza with a group of male friends
- 5 of them, all late 20s/early 30s, all single, all childless. I was
the only female. Somehow the conversation turned to breastfeeding and
babies. I contributed very little to the conversation, it was all the
guys talking about the pros of BF and extended bf, bf in other
cultures, and so on. And the discussion was all perfectly normal,
everyday conversation as far as they were concerned. I commented later
to one of them that I found it interesting (in a good way) that a
group of single, childless men in their late 20s were discussing the
pros of BF and he looked at me like I had 2 heads - "Why wouldn't we?"
This may be skewed by the fact that they were all educated (MS/PhD
level), and a few were biologists may have something to do with it.

See, now, dammit....where ARE these men?? ;-)

Dawn