Should I complain?

Old November 14th 03, 04:18 AM
AlenasMom

Default Should I complain?

I was nursing Alena in a restaurant in Toronto over the weekend and was
told that if I didn't stop, I would be charged $500.00 by the police!
I don't know who I should talk to. Should I call the manager, or should I
call the owner of the chain?
What do you think.

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old November 14th 03, 04:44 AM
CY

Screw that - go to the news (see the BK post). I am OUTRAGED at this. I
don't know what the laws in Canada are but that MUST not be right???????
.rogers.com...

Old November 14th 03, 04:54 AM
DeliciousTruffles

http://www.infactcanada.ca/InfactHomePage.htm

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old November 14th 03, 05:46 AM
Lara

AlenasMom wrote:

I was nursing Alena in a restaurant in Toronto over the weekend and was
told that if I didn't stop, I would be charged $500.00 by the police!

A shame you didn't manage to say "Bring on the constables!" at the time.
(I know, you were probably too shocked to say anything, I would be). Did
you happen get the name of the person saying this?

I don't know who I should talk to. Should I call the manager, or should I
call the owner of the chain?

The owner first. If they won't take your call, call the newspaper.

Lara
Old November 14th 03, 06:11 AM
CY

Thank you! I learned something.

In answer to the OP, it (http://www.infactcanada.ca/InfactHomePage.htm)
specifically says:

What you can do if you are harassed for breastfeeding you baby?
If you are harassed for breastfeeding, it should be reported to the Human
Rights Commission in your province. It is important to be persistent. As
commissions don't handle many complaints about breastfeeding, individual
officers may be unfamiliar with the issue and require some explanation of
why this is discrimination, or why the provision of an alternative place to
breastfeed is not enough. Contact a women's rights organization, La Leche
League or other group for help and support.

Legal precedent has not been set to specifically include breastfeeding under
human rights protection to date, however, the recent Supreme Court of Canada
decision, Brooks v. Canadian Safeway Ltd. (1989), 59 D.L.R. (4th)321
(S.C.C.), Dickson C.J.C. states;

...how could pregnancy discrimination be anything other than sex
discrimination? The disfavoured treatment accorded to Mrs. Brooks, Mrs.
Allan, and Mrs. Dixon flowed entirely from their state of pregnancy, a
condition unique to women. They were pregnant because of their sex.
Discrimination on the basis of pregnancy is a form of sex discrimination
because of the basis of the biological fact that only women have the
capacity to become pregnant.

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...

Old November 14th 03, 12:05 PM
Anne Rogers

I was nursing Alena in a restaurant in Toronto over the weekend and was
told that if I didn't stop, I would be charged $500.00 by the police!
I don't know who I should talk to. Should I call the manager, or should I
call the owner of the chain?

for what reason would you be fined? is breastfeeding a crime, I doubt it,
so indecent exposure? but what could anyone see, perhaps a tiny bit of
flesh, but no more than you might if you were wearing a skimpy top.

I'd call the manager first, it may have been an error by one of his staff,
if that's not helpful, the owner, then the newspaper etc etc

Old November 14th 03, 02:12 PM
Stephanie and Tim

I received a parenting mag subscription for a present when my son was born
(almost 3 years ago). They are still sending it to me. 27% of MOTHERS said
it is not OK to nurse in public, and that others should not be forced to
take in the view. My GOD, what is WITH people? How can people be so
ignorant, mean spirited and petty? I wish people could stop minding other
people's business. On a rant side track, it reminds me about people who feel
threatened by civil unions or gay marriage as threatening or undermining
THEIR heterosexual marriage. I would like to know how the behavior of the
guy next door, or the woman and baby at the booth next to you, can impact
you so severely. If it bothers you, rather than make THEM stop, all you have
to do is turn your head and look the other way. But NO someone has to force
their stupid "values" down other people's throats.

GRRRR. Think this burns me a little? I am almost bummed out that I do not
live in a place which gives folks grief for NIP. I would just LOVE to give a
person a piece of my mind.

Makes me want to run out and NIP right now... Except that no one in
Burlington VT would even look twice except to smile at how sweet babies are.

.rogers.com...

Old November 14th 03, 05:36 PM
DeliciousTruffles

CY wrote:

Thank you! I learned something.

In answer to the OP, it (http://www.infactcanada.ca/InfactHomePage.htm)
specifically says:

Thanks for posting the text. I was in a hurry and only had time to post
the link. :-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old November 14th 03, 06:14 PM
betty

What you should do is to file a complaint at the ontario human right
commission.
It is your right to breastfeed in public and it is discriminatory to ask you
to stop.
We have to stop accepting this behavior, if people were more tolerant to
woman who breastfeed, many more mother would breastfeed in Canada.
news: rs.com...

Old November 14th 03, 09:11 PM
AlenasMom

"Leslie" wrote in message
I don't know who I should talk to. Should I call the manager, or should

call the owner of the chain?

The manager, the owner of the chain, and possibly a lawyer. :-)

What did you do?

Leslie

I rolled my eyes, told her it was illegal to ask a nursing mother to stop
feeding her baby, and kept on nursing. I was cheesed because she
interrupted a very important conversation with a member of my circle who
needed to talk to me about something VERY important. The girl (my friend)
was obviously distraught, and her timing was impecable ....

*rolls eyes again*

So I think I'm going to contact the manager and the human rights
commissioner.

May due dates Mary S. Pregnancy 3 May 8th 04 02:23 AM
"ADHD" - A subjective diagnosis Psi Kids Health 42 May 5th 04 09:49 AM
ER visit -- part vent, should I complain? Long, as usual Tina General 40 September 23rd 03 01:36 PM
Dealing with "mommy dearest" Ali's Daddie General 15 August 13th 03 08:59 PM