Kids playing in the streets

Old March 31st 05, 01:17 AM
Cathy Weeks

Mandy Anderson wrote:

reducing their visibility. Why is it that some parents feel it is

fine to
impose inconveniences on the whole of society to make up for their

laziness
in controlling their children? I teach my children to stay in the

yard, and
would never trust thier lives to some speed limit sign or speed bump.

We
teach them that the road is for cars and the yard where cars can't go

is
for playing.

Whew... take a deep breath here. Life is full of inconveniences, and
part of living in a society is learning to deal with them. If you want
no inconvenience, then go live as a hermit far away from anyone.

There's nothing wrong with kids playing in the street if:

a) they are old enough and observant enough to watch for cars, and GET
OUT OF THE WAY if a car comes. This is for their safety, and as a
courtesy to the cars (though cars BY LAW owe right of way to
pedestrians).

b) it's not such a busy street that it's a danger no matter what.

As for speed bumps, the street I lived on was VERY narrow, with curves,
trees and low visibility. It had a section of gravel and even though
the speed limit was 25 miles per hour, people would come off the gravel
and accelerate to 45 or 50.

Now, the nature of the street was such that as long as a kid were
careful, and kept to the side, 25 mph was fine for traffic to see and
avoid a kid biking or walking along the side of the road (there was no
shoulder to speak of). But at 45 mph, it was a serious hazard.

Speedbumps would have made it from a serious hazard to one that was at
least reasonable for a kid to ride their bike to the neighbor's, or
walk along the side of the road (once they were old enough and savvy
enough to do it safely). So here's an example of speedbumps merely
enforcing the LEGAL speed limit.

This isn't a matter of me wanting to inconvenience the drivers - they
are already inconveniencing the neighborhood kids by going so fast.

Have you asked the locals who want speedbumps why they want them?
Could it be that the drivers in the area were speeding dangerously? If
so - they were inconveniencing the residents, and putting everyone at
risk.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01

Old March 31st 05, 02:22 AM
Claire Petersky

"Mandy Anderson" wrote in message
I'm furious with my neighbors who seem to think the streets in our
subdivision are for playing.

We live in a little neighborhood, shaped sort of like the letter E, with the
upper and lower prongs of the E connecting to a tertiary arterial, and the
center prong and the serifs on the E's backbone being cul-de-sacs. The
center cul-de-sac and the backbone is basically one large play area. There
are kids of all ages who rove in pairs and small packs, playing ball, riding
scooters and bikes, and hanging out. When I rode my bike home this
afternoon, I saw a couple of scooters parked out front, and guessed
correctly that there were going to be a couple of kids over at the house
with my daughters.

If I had to move to a different area, this is the sort of neighborhood I
would seek again for my family: a place where kids rightly feel safe playing
unsupervised in the street, and where you can just come over without having
to have a play date arranged and mom transport you there.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Old March 31st 05, 04:07 AM
Catherine Woodgold

My attitude is that streets are for people.

I like seeing kids playing in the streets. It contributes
to a healthy society: the kind of neighbourhood where
neighbours are likely to know each other and to happen
to see each other and spontaneously start friendly
chats. It slows down cars, discouraging environmentally-
unfriendly transportation.

We live at the end of a dead end, so it's pretty easy
to play in the street here. We keep an eye out for
cars and call out "Car!" if we see one coming, and
get out of the way.

--
Cathy
A *much* better world is possible.

Old March 31st 05, 02:43 PM
Scott

Catherine Woodgold wrote:
My attitude is that streets are for people.

I like seeing kids playing in the streets. It contributes
to a healthy society: the kind of neighbourhood where
neighbours are likely to know each other and to happen
to see each other and spontaneously start friendly
chats. It slows down cars, discouraging environmentally-
unfriendly transportation.

We live at the end of a dead end, so it's pretty easy
to play in the street here. We keep an eye out for
cars and call out "Car!" if we see one coming, and
get out of the way.

My street ends in a dead-end, where kids do play,
but in my block, it's part of a short-cut, so there
are lots of cars. It's also on a slope -- playing
with a ball would quickly evolve into chasing
a ball downhill

Having said that, streets with lots of cars traversing
them are no place a kid, no matter how careful, to
play. It is unsafe and rude.

When my kids are tired of playing in our
little yard, they walk to the park that's a block
away. Perhaps the OP's neighbors should have been
petitioning the county -- or the developer -- to
put more parkland in near their house, along with
a safe way to get there.

Scott DD 11 and DS 9

Old March 31st 05, 04:37 PM
Sue

"Mandy Anderson" wrote in message
I'm furious with my neighbors who seem to think the streets in our
subdivision are for playing. Several women who have nothing better to do
petitioned the county to put speed bumps in to slow cars down, yet the
speed limit of 25 mph is still fast enough to kill or injure a child.

Our neighborhood has sidewalks that start and stop and most of the time, the
kids are forced into the street to ride their bike. One thing I have learned
in kindergarten that has stayed with me all my life, is that we must learn
to share and look out for one another. Too bad you haven't learned that.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old March 31st 05, 04:45 PM
shinypenny

Mandy Anderson wrote:
Why is it that some parents feel it is fine to
impose inconveniences on the whole of society to make up for their

laziness
in controlling their children?

You've hit a hot button for me. My children don't play in our street,
because it's far too dangerous due to inconsiderate drivers.

Why is it that some people feel it is fine to drive an SUV down narrow
city streets designed for much smaller cars? If you live in the city,
and park in the city, does it make any sense at all to buy an SUV?

Why is it that so many people feel it's a requirement to have more than
one or even two cars? Especially if they choose to live in an area that
was never designed for parking more than one car, and has ample public
transportation?

And why do they feel entitled to park their darn extra car on the
sidewalk? Or blocking pedestrian crossways? Forcing pedestrians to walk
into the street to get around them?

Why is it that we have all these miles of sidewalks, intended to keep
pedestrians from walking in the street, but so many people don't bother
to keep them shoveled?

Why is it that I must feel like I take my life in my hands when
crossing a street, because so many people disobey the "stop for
pedestrians in crosswalk" signs?

Why is it that so many people talk on their cell phones while driving?
Don't they realize that research has proven that folks talking on a
cell phone wouldn't even notice a gorilla walking in front of their
car?

Why is it that so many people abuse the posted speed limits?

Why is it that we tell people they should walk and bike ride more, yet
we don't put any city money into better sidewalks, bike paths, or bike
lanes? And even those streets that do have bike lanes, the lanes are
not consistent and/or cars insist on driving in them because they are
in too much of a hurry and use the lane as a passing lane?

And while I'm at it, why is it that you get a tax break for commuting
by car or public transportation, but no tax break if you walk or bike
to work?

I pay my taxes too. If I want to walk, bike, rollerblade, run in the
street, I will. Please be considerate and drive more carefully while
you share the road with me.

jen

Old March 31st 05, 06:10 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article .com,
shinypenny wrote:

Why is it that some people feel it is fine to drive an SUV down narrow
city streets designed for much smaller cars? If you live in the city,
and park in the city, does it make any sense at all to buy an SUV?

I guess it depends where else you drive. There are some places where
SUVs are the most appropriate vehicle choice. Cities certainly aren't
one of them, but most people drive in a variety of locations/conditions.

If you have three (or more!) children in carseats, a compact car isn't
going to work for you. Some people will simply need a larger vehicle
(not necessarily an SUV, but I imagine that full-sized cars and minivans
also don't fit well on those same city streets).

--Robyn (who drives a medium-sized SUV, but rarely ventures into the city)

Old March 31st 05, 09:06 PM
shinypenny

Robyn Kozierok wrote:
I guess it depends where else you drive. There are some places where
SUVs are the most appropriate vehicle choice. Cities certainly

aren't
one of them, but most people drive in a variety of

locations/conditions.

If you have three (or more!) children in carseats, a compact car

isn't
going to work for you. Some people will simply need a larger vehicle
(not necessarily an SUV, but I imagine that full-sized cars and

minivans
also don't fit well on those same city streets).

--Robyn (who drives a medium-sized SUV, but rarely ventures into the

city)

I have no issue with those who have large families and need a larger
vehicle to fit all the car seats. I'm not begrudging your right or even
your need to have an SUV, just asking for some common sense and
consideration:

If you absolutely need two cars, make one an SUV and the other a
smaller car for those trips when you aren't carting around extra
people.

If you have an SUV for family trips, park that one in your driveway,
and the smaller one out on the street.

If you're driving down a two-way street that has SUVs parked on both
sides, making only enough room for a single car to drive, then be
polite every once in awhile and stop and let the other car go past
first. Don't barrel towards me figuring since you're SUV is bigger I
should make way for you. And if I do move over for you, be a peach and
give me a wave of thanks, instead of an annoyed grimace. You're the one
who chose to drive an SUV down a narrow city street; don't get annoyed
at me when it's a pain in your butt.

If you absolutely must own two or more SUVs, consider buying a house
that gives you ample driveway parking for them. Street parking in the
city is so scarce and getting scarcer by the day, because SUVs take up
more than their share of the curb.

If you absolutely must park your SUV on the street, don't park on the
sidewalk, don't park blocking pedestrian crosswalks, and don't park
where it clearly says "no parking."

If you are my neighbor (grrrrr) will you please stop parking with your
SUV's butt halfway blocking my driveway? Makes it hard for me to get
out. And if you are my other neighbor (grrrrr), consider parking
somewhere else, because every morning when I back out I come perilously
close to backing into your SUV, while trying to maneuver around my
other neighbor's ill-parked SUV. (what's even more annoying is that
this particular neighbor actually has a very long driveway that could
easily fit 4 or 5 cars... but despite being strapping college students,
they never shovel their driveway and instead park all three SUVs on the
street... I just don't *get* that!!).

Be thoughtful when parking on a narrow street - if there is another SUV
parked on the other side, ask yourself if you'll be leaving ample room
for emergency vehicles to squeeze down the road? (Recently we got stuck
for 30 minutes behind an ambulance, which got stuck because two SUVs
were parked on opposite sides of what was supposed to be a two-way
street, neither one parked very close to the curb. The ambulance people
were running around knocking on doors looking for the owners so they
could get one of the SUVs moved).

And if you're driving any car, don't use a cell phone and don't speed.

I'm sure you do none of these things yourself; please take my use of
"you" above as not meaning you personally! Just venting one of my big
pet peeves!

jen (currently driving a corolla but contemplating downsizing to a
minicooper, since they're so darn cute and very easy to park).

Old March 31st 05, 11:10 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Robyn Kozierok wrote:

*If you have three (or more!) children in carseats, a compact car isn't
*going to work for you. Some people will simply need a larger vehicle

Yep. And if you have those carseat children AND you have extra adults in
the household, AND you have at least one parent who must commute to work
by car, you almost certainly must have more than one car.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old April 1st 05, 03:01 AM
Donna Metler

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
In ,
Robyn Kozierok wrote:

*If you have three (or more!) children in carseats, a compact car isn't
*going to work for you. Some people will simply need a larger vehicle

Yep. And if you have those carseat children AND you have extra adults in
the household, AND you have at least one parent who must commute to work
by car, you almost certainly must have more than one car.

And, if you only have one child with you, it is FAR too much of a pain to
move the carseat to the smaller car.

I didn't realize just how annoying that would be (since we have bases for
the infant seat in both cars) until we flew with Alli and had to install the
base on each plane and in the rental car. I'm thinking when she outgrows the
infant seat we buy 2 copies of the next carseat, too.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is
too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 March 30th 05 06:34 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 October 29th 04 05:24 AM
Fighting Over Kids Stepdad1963 General 8 May 5th 04 07:15 PM
misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 March 18th 04 10:12 AM
WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 07:10 PM