Help please: diaper rash :(

Old November 9th 05, 05:54 AM
Mum of Two

Default Help please: diaper rash :(

"agent99" wrote in message
oups.com...

JennP wrote:
"agent99" wrote in message
oups.com...

MIL dismisses the notion that the yogurt (or the strawberries within)
might be the cause, and instead thinks it's because I've been putting
him in our newly acquired exersaucer so much, so he's on his bum more.
However, he sits unassisted and is on his bum plenty as it is.

Any thoughts, as to what to do to fix it, and what might have caused
it, so we can avoid this problem in future?

If it's very persistent maybe you should call the ped to make sure it's
not
fungal. DD has a nasty yeast infection right now due to antibiotics.
Nystatin is taking care of it.

Yeah, doc will be seeing it tomorrow. We were going in anyway, for
something else, so it's fortunate that we will be in there so soon.

The yogurt could be the culprit or it could be just coincidence. Either
way,
as you know it's not the best choice for a first solid food. In the
future,
you should be very firm with your MIL that she respect your wishes when
it
comes to your ds. HTH

Trust me, we went round after round with #1, and just when you think
you've got her sorted out, something new crops up. I think I'm clear
and firm, but she can't remember what she's been told, and she's so
good-hearted that I hate to just say, "don't ever feed the baby
anything," especially since I'm the Easygoing DIL, but I may end up
going the route of the Uptight DIL, who has yet to feed her baby in
MIL's presence and has made it clear that MIL must never feed the baby
anything, nor are they ever to discuss feeding. Seriously.

I know how hard that can be. Some people, how ever nice and helpful they try
to be, have no idea what to feed a child. Even basic safety issues can
become a blur after all those years. It's a wonder really, that so many 30
somethings survived into relatively unscathed adulthood.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old November 9th 05, 11:14 PM
Jess

"agent99" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've done that a couple of times, and he enjoys it - I was worried it
might be too drying on the rash, but maybe I should carry on. It's what
we did with ds#1.

We did baby oil gel on Sproglette a couple of times to help her bottom get
some moisture back-maybe that would help?

Jess

Old November 9th 05, 11:55 PM
agent99

Default UPDATE: Help please: diaper rash :(

Doc today prescribed a hydrocortizone cream with an antifungal in it.
She also suggested suspending solids at least till the rash clears up,
and said that if I want to delay introducing solids past six months,
that was cool with her, but to start using an iron supplement shortly
after six months if he's still exclusively bfed.

So, frequent changes, lots of open air time, the prescription cream
left for a few minutes to work, and then a thick layer of Ihle's paste
(zinc cream) before diapering.

We'll see how we do - he's miserable for about half an hour after every
diaper change, and then.calms down.

99

JennP wrote:
"agent99" wrote in message
oups.com...

MIL dismisses the notion that the yogurt (or the strawberries within)
might be the cause, and instead thinks it's because I've been putting
him in our newly acquired exersaucer so much, so he's on his bum more.
However, he sits unassisted and is on his bum plenty as it is.

Any thoughts, as to what to do to fix it, and what might have caused
it, so we can avoid this problem in future?

If it's very persistent maybe you should call the ped to make sure it's not
fungal. DD has a nasty yeast infection right now due to antibiotics.
Nystatin is taking care of it.

The yogurt could be the culprit or it could be just coincidence. Either way,
as you know it's not the best choice for a first solid food. In the future,
you should be very firm with your MIL that she respect your wishes when it
comes to your ds. HTH

JennP.

Old November 10th 05, 01:12 AM
oregonchick

"agent99" wrote in message
oups.com...
DS#2, aged almost 6 months, has a diaper rash. A big nasty red rash all
over his cheeks, radiating out from the anus. It's clearly very sore,
and he's been spending lots of time with a bare bum, thick unscented
zinc cream on his bum, and very frequent diaper changes (disposable, so
should "wick away" pee).

It turned up suddenly on Sunday. He's been very gassy and loose, with
mucusy green poops since Sunday, and on Saturday MIL who was visiting
gave him "a couple of teaspoons - I mean, a taste or two, not much" of
strawberry yogurt while I was in the shower. My diet hasn't changed, so
I think the yogurt is the culprit. I'm gently trying him on rice
cereal, but he's not really going for it and I don't think he's ready
for solids other than the odd taste for experimentation. I wouldn't
mind trying to firm up the poops, though, since that might make them
burn less.

MIL dismisses the notion that the yogurt (or the strawberries within)
might be the cause, and instead thinks it's because I've been putting
him in our newly acquired exersaucer so much, so he's on his bum more.
However, he sits unassisted and is on his bum plenty as it is.

Any thoughts, as to what to do to fix it, and what might have caused
it, so we can avoid this problem in future?

thanks,
99

I'm glad my MIL is 5000 miles away and speaks another language...;-)

Who knows if it's the yogurt or not, but when my daughter had awful diaper
rash the doc gave us some nystatin ointment and that cleared it up fast. If
I remember correctly (it was 8 yrs ago) nystatin was for yeast? I'm not
sure.

Betsy

Old November 10th 05, 01:10 PM
Sue

"agent99" wrote in message
So, frequent changes, lots of open air time, the prescription cream
left for a few minutes to work, and then a thick layer of Ihle's paste
(zinc cream) before diapering.

We'll see how we do - he's miserable for about half an hour after every
diaper change, and then.calms down.

The girls also like when I used a warm hair dryer on the their bottoms. It
freaked them out at first, but once they figured out that it felt good, they
loved it and it got the bottom drier.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 10th 05, 01:16 PM
Sue

"agent99" wrote in message
Disposables from day one, to my embarassment. I have all these great
cloth diapers, but with a toddler and a baby, I just feel daunted by
the prospect of laundering cloth diapers on top of everything else.

Why on earth would you be embarrassed about that? Why give yourself more
work than you have to. For heaven sakes girl, there is nothing wrong with
disposables. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 10th 05, 01:19 PM
Cocoamum

Sue skrev:
"agent99" wrote in message

So, frequent changes, lots of open air time, the prescription cream
left for a few minutes to work, and then a thick layer of Ihle's paste
(zinc cream) before diapering.

We'll see how we do - he's miserable for about half an hour after every
diaper change, and then.calms down.

The girls also like when I used a warm hair dryer on the their bottoms. It
freaked them out at first, but once they figured out that it felt good, they
loved it and it got the bottom drier.

Not too close - it can get very hot.

Otherwise - good idea.

Tine, Denmark
Old November 10th 05, 02:14 PM
JennP

"Jess" wrote in message newswucf.98$zx.0@fed1read06...

We did baby oil gel on Sproglette a couple of times to help her bottom get
some moisture back-maybe that would help?

If it's fungal (the ped prescribed an antifungal) then you want to be dry.

JennP.

Old November 10th 05, 02:15 PM
JennP

"agent99" wrote in message
ups.com...
Doc today prescribed a hydrocortizone cream with an antifungal in it.
She also suggested suspending solids at least till the rash clears up,
and said that if I want to delay introducing solids past six months,
that was cool with her, but to start using an iron supplement shortly
after six months if he's still exclusively bfed.

It sounded fungal to me. I hope it works. I know after 24 hours on the
Nystatin Jessica's rash was half what it was.

JennP.

Old November 10th 05, 04:38 PM
agent99

Sue wrote:
"agent99" wrote in message
So, frequent changes, lots of open air time, the prescription cream
left for a few minutes to work, and then a thick layer of Ihle's paste
(zinc cream) before diapering.

We'll see how we do - he's miserable for about half an hour after every
diaper change, and then.calms down.

The girls also like when I used a warm hair dryer on the their bottoms. It
freaked them out at first, but once they figured out that it felt good, they
loved it and it got the bottom drier.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Thanks - we've been trying it. It worked well with ds#1 and his rashes,
and although I use the dryer on ds#2 after baths, to get him dry
quicker and warm him up, it seems to be irritating this rash. It's
already come down in size a great deal, and he's much happier - he went
to sleep around 10 last night without a struggle, and apart from
nursing he slept through till about 6:30. Big brother ended up in bed
with us, but that's another story!

thanks again everyone,
99

Diaper Rash Leslie Pregnancy 42 January 25th 05 01:49 AM
Diaper rash advice needed Wendy Pregnancy 29 October 10th 04 05:05 AM
Thrush diaper rash? Elana Kehoe Breastfeeding 0 April 6th 04 12:20 PM
Which foods can cause diaper rash? Jen Breastfeeding 11 February 5th 04 01:17 AM