More Indentured Servitude Laws

Old February 11th 07, 10:01 PM posted to alt.child-support
Werebat

Default More Indentured Servitude Laws

I've taken the liberty of *highlighting* sentences that show that the
person interviewed knows damned well that men are in jail simply because
they've been unfortunate enough to lose their jobs. Presumably he is
intelligent enough to understand why this is a gross injustice. It
probably wasn't stupidity, but rather a real sense of the
invulnerability of his position that led him to make such statements to
a reporter:

Article published Feb 10, 2007
Jail aims to put child-support violators to work
Work-release program includes help finding regular jobs

By SHANNON MURPHY
Times Herald

St. Clair County officials hope a new program will free up bed space at
the county jail and help some inmates find jobs.

The Jail Alternative Program, which will be overseen by St. Clair County
Friend of the Court, will allow certain inmates sentenced for not paying
child support to serve their sentences outside jail.

The program will work in conjunction with the St. Clair County Parks and
Recreation Department by having some of the inmates work at county parks
while on work release from the jail, said Susan Borovich, director of
Friend of the Court. While the inmates will not be paid, they will be
required to look for a job through Michigan Works while in the program.

"The end result, we believe, is going to instill more pride in the
person that's not paying child support," Borovich said. "And it will
allow them time to find a job, so the end result is they will make
regular child-support payments."

Officials hope to start the program in the spring or early summer.

Costs for the program, which would include hiring an on-site supervisor,
buying a van to transport the inmates, uniforms, and other items such as
a radio or cell phone for the supervisor, would be paid for with federal
money through the Friend of the Court division and money from the county
parks millage. The cost of the program is not yet known.

To be eligible for the program, an inmate must first make a minimum
payment to the custodial parent, the amount of which will be determined
by a judge; have no history of violent offenses, sexual assault or
personal-protection orders; and be someone who had been making regular
payments but stopped *because* *of* *something* *such* *as* *losing* *a*
*job*.

Officials envision the program working like this:

Participants will meet at 8:30 a.m. daily at the county jail where they
will be transported to a park and work until about 2:30 p.m. After that,
they will be required to go to Michigan Works where they will try to
find a job, work on a résumé or learn job skills.

When the Michigan Works office closes, they would return to their homes.

"I think it's a great initiative," county Administrator Shaun Groden
said. "It shows real creativity and acknowledgement that we need to
manage our (jail) bed space and look at who is in jail and why."

St. Clair County jail administrator Maj. Tom Torrey said as of Thursday
morning, there were 34 people in jail for not paying child support. He
said about 20 likely would be eligible to participate in the program.

Torrey anticipates the program will free up bed space that can be used
for violent offenders or rented to federal inmates. He hopes to expand
the program to other nonviolent offenders.

"I've always taken the stance that we have too many people in jail that
are *only* *here* *because* *they* *don't* *have* *money*," he said.
"This would open up beds for people who are a threat or to federal
prisoners to bring in money for the general fund."

Old February 12th 07, 12:01 AM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer

Does this mean we're going to have to call "our" caseworkers "Massa"
from now on?
Old February 12th 07, 12:58 AM posted to alt.child-support
Fred of UrlBit.Us

John Meyer wrote:

Does this mean we're going to have to call "our" caseworkers "Massa"
from now on?

Yessa!

--
-- "Fred of http://UrlBit.Us"
Shameless plugs:

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 12th 07, 01:21 AM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer

Fred of UrlBit.Us wrote:
Does this mean we're going to have to call "our" caseworkers "Massa"
from now on?

Yessa!

Fire up the spirituals. Swing low, sweet chariot....!
Old February 12th 07, 03:43 AM posted to alt.child-support
DB

personal-protection orders; and be someone who had been making regular
payments but stopped *because* *of* *something* *such* *as* *losing* *a*
*job*.

So it's now official, losing a job is a crime!

Old February 12th 07, 05:27 PM posted to alt.child-support
Patrick Lee

Unbelievable!! So many holes in the program
that it appears to be like Swiss cheese!! More
Gulag mentality!!

Old February 12th 07, 08:35 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"Patrick Lee" wrote in

Unbelievable!! So many holes in the program
that it appears to be like Swiss cheese!! More
Gulag mentality!!

It's very easy for those not directly effected to pass more laws than what
is needed, but history always shows that careless actions it will effect
everyone, including their sons too.

Foster Survivor Rhyme Greegor Spanking 0 November 4th 06 05:19 AM
Foster Survivor Rhyme Greegor Foster Parents 0 November 4th 06 05:19 AM
The Seven Universal Laws Forum: Please consider joining and learning more. [email protected] Foster Parents 0 July 20th 06 11:53 PM
The Seven Universal Laws Forum: Please consider joining and learning more. [email protected] General 0 July 20th 06 05:35 PM
Goldwater, McCain, and Indentured Servitude Dusty Child Support 0 July 10th 06 07:12 AM