you think it's bad in the US? In Puerto Rico "GRANDPARENTS" are forced...

Old March 29th 07, 02:21 AM posted to alt.child-support
whatamess

Default you think it's bad in the US? In Puerto Rico "GRANDPARENTS" are forced...

To pay child support and their wages garnished, etc...if they courts
cannot find the fathers. Yes, you heard that right.

There has been a special report this week on one of the news channels
about how horrendous the child support system here is, especiall to
non-custodial parents. Not only are the amounts outrageous, but the
following is the norm:

1. college, through 23 years
2. private school whent he mother or CP requests it, including
tuition, books, etc...
3. outrageous amounts based on FDA guidelines of cost of living that
do not necessarily apply to Puerto Rico, where the median income is
only about 24K a year...
4. and yes, grandparents can be forced to pay the support if their
children are not found

So, they showed a girl who earns 1K a month, has three kids...(don't
ask me why she is so stupid, I know), but anyway, two live with the
dad and she pays 800USD a MONTH in child support...the other child
3yrs old lives with her...

Then they showed the old 68yr old grandpa, whose wife has heart
problems...they live off social security, his at 500USD a month...and
the child support office garnishes 300USD a month for support of his
GRANDCHILD!!! He has had to go back to work to make ends meet,
worried that the CS will soon increase once they find out he had to go
out and get a job once he was retired...

So, that's the reality of where we live. I checked the standard of
living last year, and it takes a salary of 80K in Puerto Rico is
equivalent to 60K or less in Texas...and that was BEFORE they added
additional income tax/state sales tax, etc...at the end of last
year...

So next time we want to complain, make sure you never move here or
have any grandkids of someone who lives here...you might just be
paying even at 70 years old...sad but true.

Old March 29th 07, 03:31 AM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer

whatamess wrote:
To pay child support and their wages garnished, etc...if they courts
cannot find the fathers. Yes, you heard that right.

Link, please?
We've got a corrupter of blood statute if what you are saying is true.
And if the grandparents have to pay child support, does that mean they
have rights commensurate with those responsibilities.

Oh, silly me, I forgot: the person who pays child support has no rights.
What was I thinking of?
Old March 29th 07, 04:14 AM posted to alt.child-support
whatamess

On Mar 28, 10:31 pm, John Meyer wrote:
whatamess wrote:
To pay child support and their wages garnished, etc...if they courts
cannot find the fathers. Yes, you heard that right.

Link, please?
We've got a corrupter of blood statute if what you are saying is true.
And if the grandparents have to pay child support, does that mean they
have rights commensurate with those responsibilities.

Oh, silly me, I forgot: the person who pays child support has no rights.
What was I thinking of?

Believe me, my husband's mother pays child support for her
grandaughter...I saw the 68 year old just a few minutes ago on TV
again...if I had the 300USD a month, I'd send it to him because there
is just no excuse for that...

Sorry, but everything is in Spanish. If you believe there is
somewhere I can write in the US to investigate this particular issue,
let me know...

It never specifically says that grandparents are liable...what it says
is that the Puerto Rico Civil code states that "parents, children, ex-
spouses, spouses and family members (so actually, it's not just
grandparents they go after, but ANY relative, usually they can stop at
grandparents since they'll fight it the least) have a DUTY to support
each other economically under the Puerto Rico Civil Code...It seems to
me the idiots here, who are supposed to use the US guidelines for
collections, etc...are hiding behind this. Obviously, most of these
grandparents are old people who know nothing but the laws and what
they hear in this place...most have no money to strike back or take
the issue to court, so they are just left paying for it...without any
other way out.

Believe me, there are so many thieves here it's not even funny. I am
from here, I lived in the US since I was 14-35 yrs old...idiot me came
back due to job, etc...and I have since written a few letters to every
US government agency I can think of advising them of the outrageous
abuses that occur here, as well as fraud...

But when it comes to Child Support, I have no idea who in the FEDERAL
GOVERNMENT could possibly get involved to stop this outrageous
injustice to our senior citizens...If you can help or direct me in any
way, I would truly appreciate it...

Here is a link, but it is in spanish...

http://www.gobierno.pr/NR/rdonlyres/...deagosto .pdf

Old March 30th 07, 06:10 AM posted to alt.child-support
Chris

"whatamess" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

What seems to be the problem? If it weren't for the grandmother, the child
wouldn't exist; therefore, she should pay "child support". Isn't that the
same argument they use against fathers?

Old March 30th 07, 07:12 AM posted to alt.child-support
whatamess

On Mar 30, 1:10 am, "Chris" wrote:
"whatamess" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]