do people not like holding their babies?

Old September 13th 03, 12:16 AM
Sue

Default do people not like holding their babies?

Bravo Nina Bravo!!!!! )
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Dawn Lawson wrote:

Nevermind wrote:

Great article! I have no objection to gently reminding busy people of
the joy of wandering with a child, and I do think it's important for
kids to get exercise, too!

And herein lies one of my fundamental objections to strapping kids into
things for adult convenience. (as well as not going out on cold or
rainy days, objecting to a child getting really dirty, etc etc.)

(Many people insist on vaccinating for diseases less likely to cause
hospitalization than stroller use, it seems, and I find that ironic,
because *I* am hassled due to the perception that I am putting my chld
at risk.)

anyhow, I think I said once before that I was finished with this thread,
and I maintain that strollers are overly bulky for their purpose, and
not necessary as often as many parents seem to maintain. Coupled with
comments from parents I have spent time with that they used to feel
similarly, but now that they have kids they don't care if they are rude,
and i'm allergic to strollers.

Whatever, that's my right, I suppose, though I find the cries of
"rights" to be somewhat diversonary as well.

Dawn

It's possible to think that exploration time and exercise should be
encouraged and also think that a stroller can be useful, if not a
godsend, when it comes to resting and naps (and safety, in certain
situations), not to mention the other legitimate reasons already
described, especially with multi-children families. It would break my
heart to see a crying, sleepy child in need of a nap far from home
without a stroller to lie down in. To them, it serves as a portable
cradle. (Sure, there are other ways for a child to nap while
out-and-about, but there are times, especially if there is only one
parent and multiple children, where the stroller will likely provide the
best sleeping environment.)

I found the article helpful as a reminder to allow for
exploration/exercise time and not let stroller use interfere with that.

Ideally, if a child wants to get down on the ground and walk or play,
the parent should allow that as possible (unless unsafe/impractical),
whether the child is in a stroller, a sling/carrier or a parent's arms.
In that situation, I would expect a stroller would seem no more
confining to a child than a parent's arms or a sling/carrier. Isn't the
whole point that children have different needs at different times?
Likewise, holding a child (or making them walk) when they would rather
be horizontal in a reclined stroller is certainly of no benefit to the
child.

I think part of the disjoint on this thread may be due to a difference
between lifestyles. I suspect that the people who hate strollers have
never spent a day at Sea World (which is typically an all-day affair and
not within in a short-driving distance from home for a quick nap) with
multiple kids. It's not part of my lifestyle either (and I'm not big on
stollers), but it is my sister's, and I have gone with her and her
children, and without a stroller it would have been absolutely
disasterous, with heartbreaks and frazzled nerves all around.

In the big scheme of things, the inconvenience of rude people blocking
the way with strollers is small stuff. I dont think it makes sense to
want people to give up huge tool of comfort, safety, and convenience,
for your convenience (that is, so you can avoid being inconvenienced for
a minute).

Old September 29th 03, 08:57 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Dawn Lawson wrote:

*Given the number of items available to make picking up one's child less
*"necessary" and the frequency with whch I see MANY of them in one house,
*I have to assume the average parent spends very little time holding
*their infant. Many places (homes)I've been, the parent has shuttled the
*baby from carseat to bouncer to swing to playmat to crib and back, only
*holding them long enough to transfer them.

Hmm. We have many of the items you mentioned - playpen, strollers (3 of
them!), baby monitor, carseat that snaps into stroller, swing (borrowed),
bouncy chair, crib.... but I carried and continue to carry my kids as much
as the next mom! I think you are being unfairly judgemental, based simply
on what you've said here.

-hillary, maya-wrap-using BFing mother of two, who takes full advantage
of the available conveniences listed above on an as-needed basis and does
not feel guilty

Old September 29th 03, 09:02 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Dawn Lawson wrote:

* People have commented to me MANY times that I didn't have DS in a
*carseat when I was carrying him. It's a novelty.)

I'm reading this thread with interest - late, I realize, sorry to be
dredging it all back up, but anyway - Dawn, where on earth do you live
that it is so unusual to see people carrying babies? I carry my kids all
the time and no one ever says boo about it, and I see other moms doing it
too....

h.

Old September 29th 03, 09:17 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Daye wrote:

*I am not saying that for a child under 1 year old, the stroller is an
*evil place. I would even say that for a child under 2, I can see a
*stroller as a useful thing. However, with a 3-5 year old, I can't see
*why you would use a stroller for a child that big.

Well, I have to ask: what would you do if your 3 year old insisted he
wanted to ride in the stroller, and got extremely upset that you wouldn't
let him?

Old September 30th 03, 11:23 PM
Charlotte M.

piggy backing

In ,
Anonymommmy wrote:

*What DH and I think is strange is "very old" children, like maybe 5
*years old or older, in strollers. It seems as if maybe people don't
*want to have to deal with the 5-year-old's free will so they confine
*the child in the stroller for the parent's convenience. Does this
*seem weird to anyone else? What do people who have (or have had) a
*preschooler/school age child think about this?

I think you'd have to have one heck of a compliant child to convince a
five-year old not to unbuckle a stroller if they didn't wish to be in it.

I used a stroller with Brigitte until she was five. Sometimes I wanted to go
on walks that I knew were too long for her. Sometimes I just wanted to get
somewhere close at a quicker pace... particularly if I was carrying
groceries.

Now that Brigitte is clearly too big for a stroller, we drive a lot more.
While I live quite close to a grocery store, lugging four litres of milk in
a plastic shopping bag is not worth the stress.

People use strollers for all varieties of reasons. Frankly, a five-year old
in a stroller is not a major issue as far as I'm concerned. What bugs me
more are the people who ignore their five-year olds in the store or on
walks, leaving the kid trailing behind, unable to keep up.

Charlotte

Old October 1st 03, 01:55 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
DGoree wrote:

(Hillary Israeli) wrote,
*
*Well, I have to ask: what would you do if your 3 year old insisted he
*wanted to ride in the stroller, and got extremely upset that you wouldn't
*let him?
*
*Having had two three-year-olds already, I can say that there were many times
*that my then three-year-old wanted to do something and got extremely upset when
*I refused. Actually, all three children get upset with me from time to time
*when they want to do things which I don't allow. When I am very unlucky they
*all do this at the same time. I doubt that anyone here really bases their
*parenting decisions on what three-year-olds want on a minute-to-minute basis.

Of course not, but IMO one has to pick one's battles, and frankly if my
kid wants to ride in a stroller, and I have no practical reason why he
shouldn't (other than "it's a rule" or whatever), I'm not going to provoke
a tantrum to prevent it. If he wanted to ride in the car without his car
seat, or he wanted to eat three slices of chocolate cake, or something
else like that, of course I would let him yell all he wanted and he
wouldn't have it his way.