calorically dense toddler snacks?

Old January 26th 04, 08:22 PM
Dawn Lawson

Default calorically dense toddler snacks?

Hillary Israeli wrote:

In ,
HollyLewis wrote:

*Try offering her usual snacks with dip. Guacamole, sour cream/cream cheese
*based herb dips, or hummus would work well with pretzels; yogurt or whipped
*cream based sweet dips with fruit.

Because dips are SO packable, right?

Not TOO bad, if you make the hummus or cream cheese ones pretty stiff
and use those tiny little containers. Get a big smock bib and you're
set. Packable how....like so she can eat it in the car, or so she can
have it with her somewhere else, iykwim?

If she's into drinking her icecream, you can do lots with that...high
quality icecream, with additions like the flax seed or a blob of flaxoil
and eggwhite and fruit.

Dawn

Old January 26th 04, 08:22 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Shannon wrote:

*Some examples of snacks suggested to us we
*Canteloupe cubes - VERY popular, and very nutritionally dense

She likes those a lot, but it's something she's already got in heavy
rotation and I'm thinking I need to up the calorie content of her diet,
which is already nutrient dense

*Cheese - DS esp. loves goat cheese

She eats a lot of cream cheese and loves that. I will have to try some
good full fat goat cheese if I can find it.

*Berries - raspberries, blueberries, etc.

She loves these too. Of course her favorites are strawberries - just way
too filling for too few calories, I think. I put cream cheese on them to
help in that regard.

*Sweet potato - baked, then either cubed or mashed

Not a favorite of hers but she will sometimes eat them.

*Squash - steamed

Eats this in bean stews all the time.

*Tofu

Not a favorite of hers although she did eat a bit out of our pad thai the
other night

*Cottage Cheese

She loves that! I have to buy more. Thanks for reminding me.

*Yogurt - esp. Yo Baby by Stonyfield Farms

Not a favorite.

*Turkey hot dogs or sometimes Tofu pups

She's eh on those.

*Pasta (rotini, esp.) with butter or olive oil

A constant favorite. I also put cheese sauce on it sometimes.

*Naan (indian bread, often stuffed with potatoes and peas)

She loves breads - often with cream cheese or peanut butter

*Bananas

Yep. Any fruit, really.

*Cereals like Cheerios or Kix

Yep.

*Is there anything medical that could be causing the drop in percentile?

Not as far as we know, but of course that's why I am supposed to up her
caloric intake and reweigh her. I assume (I know, I know) that if her
weight does not jump up despite a documented increase in caloric intake,
we'll be doing more diagnostics.

*Does she *look* healthy, just thin? I tend to put much more stock in how
*kids look than what the numbers say, but that's just me.

Looks darn healthy to me, but I have seen plenty of healthy-looking
animals with weird failure-to-thrive stuff happen during the first year,
so I don't want to write it off without looking into it.

Old January 26th 04, 08:40 PM
HollyLewis

Because dips are SO packable, right? grin just teasing, Holly.

They're not any less packable than the pureed stuff you undoubtedly carried
around for her when she was younger! :-) Just put 'em in a bowl or jar with a
tight lid and there you go. Or, of course, there's the packaged
crackers-and-cheese-spread option. And I think they sell little packages of
chips with dip now too. :-)

Holly
Old January 26th 04, 08:44 PM
Sara

Shannon wrote:

Yogurt - esp. Yo Baby by Stonyfield Farms

Why Yo Baby in particular? It's astoundingly sweet, and the containers
can't be resealed if yo' baby doesn't finish it; I'm not convinced
it's a good product.

We buy large containers of plain organic yoghurt, which we all prefer
(and we eat a _lot_ of it.) If only a store near me sold Brown Cow...
ahh....

--
Sara, accompanied by the sweet-food-rejecting barnacle
Old January 26th 04, 10:05 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Hillary Israeli wrote:

In ,
Clisby wrote:

*Whole-milk yogurt?

She has been eating that, about 2-3 oz a day if we're lucky. It's not
really her favorite thing. I plan to continue offering it but am looking
for some other ideas

Sour cream is about 15%mf I believe. She might like that instead.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old January 26th 04, 10:17 PM
Shannon

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
*Does she *look* healthy, just thin? I tend to put much more stock in how
*kids look than what the numbers say, but that's just me.

Looks darn healthy to me, but I have seen plenty of healthy-looking
animals with weird failure-to-thrive stuff happen during the first year,
so I don't want to write it off without looking into it.

Good point. It just seems odd that a clearly good eater, as you have
described her, would not be putting on weight sort of normally.

Friend of mine had a boy in a similar situation - falling far behind his
fraternal twin in growth, but still looked darn healthy. He was diagnosed
with borderline renal acidosis (I think that's what it was) and given the
medication for it (no side effects, so couldn't hurt). He's rapidly
catching up, so they're glad they checked.

What about eggs? I forgot about that - we used to make cheese omelets all
the time, and DS gobbled them down.

I think someone mentioned smoothies - you can pack quite a lot of calories
into a smoothie if you try.

-Shannon

Old January 26th 04, 10:19 PM
Shannon

It's one of the few organic types that uses sugar instead of honey, for
young babies. Of course the OPs baby is a toddler, so that wouldn't matter
now, would it?

I think I suggested it because I liked YoBaby, and the small containers were
easy to send to daycare.

Your suggestion is far more frugal!

-Shannon

Old January 26th 04, 10:26 PM
Tracey

Here in CT, the ONLY full fat yogurt that I can find is Stonyfield (both the
'regular organic full fat' in the big container and the YoBaby in the tiny
containers). Sigh. I wish there were other choices.

Old January 26th 04, 10:36 PM
Nikki

Hillary Israeli wrote:
Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

You've gotten lots of good suggestions. The one thing both of mine liked
were beans. Baked beans, bean soup, refried beans were the biggest hits
(messier) but really any kind of bean. Olives. They might have to much
sodium though?

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old January 26th 04, 10:52 PM
Nina

"Tine Andersen" wrote in message
k...

"New York Jen" skrev i en meddelelse
t...

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

avocado?
I wonder about something like smoothies?
cream cheese, liver paste, etc on crackers?

EWWWW Liver?! Why would you do that to a child?!!

:-)

Mine love it. On the other hand they love broccoli as well so they are
probably just weird.

Mine do to.My son loves Brussels Sprouts, which he called "lettuce balls"
until I told him the name.