FESTUS: Counseling canines

Old November 26th 07, 01:09 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Jan Drew

Default FESTUS: Counseling canines

http://newsdemocratjournal.stltoday....j_dogs.ii1.prt

FESTUS: Counseling canines
At Counseling Connections in Festus, therapy involves a canine touch.

Mystic's Queen Victoria ("Victoria") and Mystic's I Love Lucy, ("Lucy") are
two black Labrador retrievers who work with counselors Julia Bahr and
Kristin Brown during therapy sessions.

"They're good for helping patients stay focused," Bahr said. "The dogs are
real and patients can touch them. They help them relax."

Bahr said the dogs are sensitive to patients' feelings and know when they
are trying to oppress their feelings, especially anger.

"The dogs pick up on that," she said. "They'll sit in front of the patient
and stare at them until the patient calms down."

Bahr said the dogs are also useful with patients who are experiencing
depression.

"If I have a patient who is depressed and not talking, Victoria will lay her
head in the patient's lap if they allow it. She can feel what they're
feeling. The dogs can also detect an aggressive patient and will just go sit
by them until they calm down."

Bahr said they have also had success using the dogs with Attention Deficit
and Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) children as well.

"ADHD children have control problems," she said. "If a child is out of
control, the dog can't come in until the child calms down. It's a great
incentive. They (children) focus better if there's something warm they can
feel when they come in here.

Both Bahr and Brown said they have seen ADHD children improve grades and
behavior outside the office, which they attribute to the dogs. Brown said
the dogs can even help patients overcome any fear of dogs.

"They're so approachable and friendly it allows them to get rid of those
fears," she said.

Victoria and Lucy, who are littermates, went through extensive obedience
training and advanced training before they started working with patients,
Bahr said.

"Our dogs are not aggressive and they won't bite," Bahr said.

Counseling Connections has had much success with the two dogs, and Bahr said
they will soon be sending off a third dog for training, a 15-week old
chocolate Lab puppy named Kahlua's English Rose ("Rose").

Rose, Bahr said, was chosen from her litter to be a therapy dog because of
her outgoing personality.

"I look for a dog that will look you in the eye," she said. "Rose was on the
ball. She came right over and sat in my lap and made eye contact. We didn't
pick her, she chose us."

Counseling Connections offers therapy for depression, stress management,
grief and loss, chemical dependency, marital conflict, communication skills,
relationship concerns, abuse (physical, verbal, emotional, and sexual),
ADHD, family counseling and a variety of group therapies. They also offer
touch healing (for humans and pets) and hypnotherapy.

The office, located at 206B Main St., is open at 9 a.m. Monday through
Friday until the last session scheduled. For more information, call
636-931-0300, or visit the Web site at www.counselingconnections.org.

Old November 26th 07, 02:59 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Peter Bowditch

"Jan Drew" wrote:

http://newsdemocratjournal.stltoday....j_dogs.ii1.prt

FESTUS: Counseling canines
At Counseling Connections in Festus, therapy involves a canine touch.

Mystic's Queen Victoria ("Victoria") and Mystic's I Love Lucy, ("Lucy") are
two black Labrador retrievers who work with counselors Julia Bahr and
Kristin Brown during therapy sessions.

"They're good for helping patients stay focused," Bahr said. "The dogs are
real and patients can touch them. They help them relax."

I've just patted Cody The Religion-Hating Dog, and I feel much better.
Cody TRHD says "Hello" to everyone.

snip stuff

PS. Would you go to any place called "Festus" for counselling or
medical treatment?
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old November 26th 07, 03:05 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Jan Drew

"Peter Bowditch"

Posting his usual.

Sad that.
Old November 26th 07, 05:12 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Peter Bowditch

"Jan Drew" wrote:

"Peter Bowditch"

Posting his usual.