at my wits end

Old July 12th 07, 10:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

Default at my wits end

Emily is about 19 months now, and everything has been going great. 3 days
ago though she came down with a fever and hasn't eaten since. She keeps
telling me she's hungry, but the only thing she wants to eat is ice cream,
and only a couple bites. She is still drinking plenty. How long is it ok
for them to go without eating? I'm concerned, but the advice nurse says
that as long as she's drinking it's fine. But it seems like a long time not
to eat!

Old July 12th 07, 10:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

determined skrev:
Emily is about 19 months now, and everything has been going great. 3 days
ago though she came down with a fever and hasn't eaten since. She keeps
telling me she's hungry, but the only thing she wants to eat is ice cream,
and only a couple bites. She is still drinking plenty. How long is it ok
for them to go without eating? I'm concerned, but the advice nurse says
that as long as she's drinking it's fine. But it seems like a long time not
to eat!

As far as I know the first week or two won't harm her.

If there are some calories in what she drinks she'll be just fine.

Tine Denmark
Old July 12th 07, 10:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Jul 12, 5:18?pm, "determined" wrote:
Emily is about 19 months now, and everything has been going great. 3 days
ago though she came down with a fever and hasn't eaten since. She keeps
telling me she's hungry, but the only thing she wants to eat is ice cream,
and only a couple bites. She is still drinking plenty. How long is it ok
for them to go without eating? I'm concerned, but the advice nurse says
that as long as she's drinking it's fine. But it seems like a long time not
to eat!

Trust your doctor. There is an old saying that I have found my
children follow all on their own -- Feed a cold and starve a fever (or
it might go starve a fever and feed a cold. When they have a fever,
they don't want to eat. When they only have a cold, their eating is
not effected. Her tummy may be real upset, as well as her throat, and
ice cream just feels good for now. Just start working in similar
things like yogurt, applesauce, etc. Most physicians recommend a diet
called the BRAT diet, which is bread, rice, applesauce, and toast to
work one's way back into eating after an upset tummy.

Old July 13th 07, 01:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I think it's something ridiculous like 100 days that an average adult
can survive without food, it's not going to be that long for a toddler,
but it's not suddenly going to shrink to a few hours or days. Hydration
is important, you say she's drinking plenty, but with the current
weather her needs may also have gone up, so you could give her some
pedialyte or the popsicle version of the same thing.
Cheers
Anne
Old July 13th 07, 09:17 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Amethyst Deceiver

AllBabyMonitors wrote:

[order corrected]

"determined" wrote in message
Emily is about 19 months now, and everything has been going great. 3 days
ago though she came down with a fever and hasn't eaten since.
She keeps telling me she's hungry, but the only thing she wants to
eat is ice cream, and only a couple bites. She is still drinking
plenty. How long is it ok for them to go without eating? I'm
concerned, but the advice nurse says that as long as she's drinking
it's fine. But it seems like a long time not to eat!

You need keep her hungry for 3 hours and she will start eat

Right. Because obviously she's not actually ill, she's just playing.

I don't know about you, but when I've got a fever I find at times I feel
hungry but really don't fancy anything to eat, and whatever I do fancy fills
me up after just a mouthful or two. Why would a toddler be any different.

Determined - she may have a sore throat, in which case drinks and ice cream
may feel soothing, but other food may just hurt. She is highly unlikely to
starve herself so just keep offering nice titbits in small portions and
she'll start to eat as she recovers from her illness.
--
YoungBloke: 3 years, 92cm, 13kg and still BF

Old July 13th 07, 09:55 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
AllBabyMonitors wrote:

[order corrected]

[...]

Yes... I know you are all right. I try really hard not to overreact! I'm
sure things will progress normally and she'll eat when she's ready.

Old July 16th 07, 02:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

No, she's on solids and cow's milk now. But we are at day 8 now, and she is
still not eating. She remains quite inconsolable most of the time, and I'm
really stressing out.

day 8 is definitely time to go back to the doctor, if she's still got a
fever, they'll probably want to start digging a bit to find out why she
hasn't got over it yet - though chances are she will have got over it by
the time any test results come back though!

Are you giving her anything to help the fever? we were told to alternate
motrin and tylenol, it should hopefully ease her discomfort.

Toddlers are tough she can deal with this, sure, she'll loose a little
weight, but she'll probably regain it again quickly.

Cheers
Anne