still not eating

Old July 16th 07, 02:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

Default still not eating

We are now on day 8 of Emily not eating. Her fever comes and goes, but the
symptoms don't seem to get any better. She cries inconsolably for hours, is
fussy and tired. She has a runny nose and a dry cough. She says she is
hungry all throughout the day, but she doesn't want to eat when you offer
her food, not even ice cream. She has been tested for ear infection, RSV,
and strep, all negative.

At what point are we supposed to get really concerned? I mean, I know they
can go without eating for a few days, but how long?

Old July 16th 07, 02:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

determined schrieb:
We are now on day 8 of Emily not eating. Her fever comes and goes, but the
symptoms don't seem to get any better. She cries inconsolably for hours, is
fussy and tired. She has a runny nose and a dry cough. She says she is
hungry all throughout the day, but she doesn't want to eat when you offer
her food, not even ice cream. She has been tested for ear infection, RSV,
and strep, all negative.

What does your pediatrician say? When have you last been to see him/her?
Do you know what's causing the fever? What other symptoms does she have?

At what point are we supposed to get really concerned? I mean, I know they
can go without eating for a few days, but how long?

I'd be more concerned about her having a fever for more than three days
in a row. Usually a fever's there to help kill off whatever germs are
present, simply put. So, if it keeps coming and going I'd definitely see
the pediatrician about it again and talk about the fever and her not
eating even though she says she's hungry.

I really can't think of anything else but going to your pediatrician
tomorrow/today and getting him/her to find out what's going on with the
fever.

take care
nicole
Old July 16th 07, 02:37 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

determined wrote:
We are now on day 8 of Emily not eating. Her fever comes and goes, but the
symptoms don't seem to get any better. She cries inconsolably for hours, is
fussy and tired. She has a runny nose and a dry cough. She says she is
hungry all throughout the day, but she doesn't want to eat when you offer
her food, not even ice cream. She has been tested for ear infection, RSV,
and strep, all negative.

At what point are we supposed to get really concerned? I mean, I know they
can go without eating for a few days, but how long?

I replied in the other thread, at this stage you should go back to the
doctor, it's probably a non specific virus. When you do go, make sure
you ask at what point you take her back, sometimes a worsening of
symptoms is expected, so the doctor can warn you about that, but also
tell you the point at which it is worrysome and they should also tell
you after how much time of the same level of symptoms you should go back in.

I'd be worried about her not managing to throw of a fever, not about her
not eating, make sure she stays hydrated and if she shows signs of
dehydration, get her to the doctors.

cheers
Anne
Old July 16th 07, 05:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PK

On Jul 15, 9:07 pm, "determined" wrote:
We are now on day 8 of Emily not eating. Her fever comes and goes, but the
symptoms don't seem to get any better. She cries inconsolably for hours, is
fussy and tired. She has a runny nose and a dry cough. She says she is
hungry all throughout the day, but she doesn't want to eat when you offer
her food, not even ice cream. She has been tested for ear infection, RSV,
and strep, all negative.

At what point are we supposed to get really concerned? I mean, I know they
can go without eating for a few days, but how long?

I'm not being an alarmist or anything, but please check that her
intestinal tract is OK. The "crying inconsolably" is a red flag.
Sometimes the growing intestinal tract can "double up" on itself,
(like a corrugated hose does) causing pain. That would account for her
not eating too. Other things to look out for would be she stops crying
and is comfortable only in certain positions, cries when you touch her
tummy in certain areas etc. This is very very rare, so please don't
worry until her doctor confirms it. And it's painful and worrisome,
but most kids get better quickly after treatment is begun.
Or it may be that she's in pain after swallowing but the trouble is
lower down in her food pipe.

I'm sorry, I wish I could help more. I read your initial post and was
worried, but I just couldn't stop myself writing in after this post.

I hope both of you feel better soon.

PK

Old July 18th 07, 05:46 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Jul 15, 9:26?pm, NL wrote:
determined schrieb:

[...]

I agree with Nicole. A fever for more than a few days should be looked
into further.

DS and eating xkatx General 96 May 30th 07 05:23 AM
6 mos eating Nicole Breastfeeding 25 May 4th 07 09:12 PM
DD not eating well Jenny Breastfeeding 4 April 10th 07 06:31 PM
NB not eating enough Shell Breastfeeding 16 November 23rd 05 02:27 AM
How much should my 1 yo be eating?? A&G&K Breastfeeding 10 August 22nd 03 09:43 PM