does feeling mvmt early in 2nd trim. predict painful labor?

Old January 23rd 04, 02:14 PM
P Harris

Default does feeling mvmt early in 2nd trim. predict painful labor?

Ok, now that I know that I *have* been feeling the baby wigglin'
around inside me since a day or two before 12 wks lmp, I have acquired
a bright shiny new thing to worry about (:-P) ...

....if my uterus is this sensitive to little tiny baby wriggles and
twitches in there, what on earth is LABOR going to be like?!?!?!?

Those of you who felt movement earlier than the books say is usual,
how was your eventual labor? Any anecdotes or speculation appreciated
:-)

Thanks,

Pat (not *worried* worried, but still worried, if you know whta I
mean)
Old January 23rd 04, 04:04 PM
Sue

I have never in my life heard a correlation to early movement and a more
painful labor. I don't think this is something to worry about. Educate
yourself in the birth process and techniques you can use to get through it
(like the Bradley method) and you will be able to cope just fine. Henci
Goer's book about birth is a good one that I hear people talk about, also
Dr. Sears has a birthing book. Good luck.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

om...

Old January 23rd 04, 04:55 PM
Sophie

"P Harris" wrote in message
om...
Ok, now that I know that I *have* been feeling the baby wigglin'
around inside me since a day or two before 12 wks lmp, I have acquired
a bright shiny new thing to worry about (:-P) ...

...if my uterus is this sensitive to little tiny baby wriggles and
twitches in there, what on earth is LABOR going to be like?!?!?!?

Those of you who felt movement earlier than the books say is usual,
how was your eventual labor? Any anecdotes or speculation appreciated
:-)

Thanks,

Pat (not *worried* worried, but still worried, if you know whta I
mean)

My babies' movements were down-right *painful* at times. I don't even go
into labor, let alone have painful ones.
I never even heard of anyone *asking* if there's a correlation between
movement and labor. Weird idea IMO.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old January 23rd 04, 06:57 PM
Larry McMahan

Of course not! There are a lot of other factors, such as fear,
tension, or inability to move about freely during labor. Read
Henci Goer's "Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth."

Larry

P Harris writes:
: Ok, now that I know that I *have* been feeling the baby wigglin'
: around inside me since a day or two before 12 wks lmp, I have acquired
: a bright shiny new thing to worry about (:-P) ...

: ...if my uterus is this sensitive to little tiny baby wriggles and
: twitches in there, what on earth is LABOR going to be like?!?!?!?

: Those of you who felt movement earlier than the books say is usual,
: how was your eventual labor? Any anecdotes or speculation appreciated
: :-)

Old January 23rd 04, 08:20 PM
Welches

P Harris wrote in message
om...
Ok, now that I know that I *have* been feeling the baby wigglin'
around inside me since a day or two before 12 wks lmp, I have acquired
a bright shiny new thing to worry about (:-P) ...

...if my uterus is this sensitive to little tiny baby wriggles and
twitches in there, what on earth is LABOR going to be like?!?!?!?

Those of you who felt movement earlier than the books say is usual,
how was your eventual labor? Any anecdotes or speculation appreciated
:-)

Thanks,

Pat (not *worried* worried, but still worried, if you know whta I
mean)

I'd be more skeptical that you are actually feeling movement than it's a
sign of a painful labour. It's probably just gas-it feels very similar.
For #1 I didn't feel movement until week 24, #2 half way through week 15. #2
was much less painful labour. If you've got weak tummy muscles you are meant
to feel earlier, so that just shows what the first labour did for mine!
Debbie

Old January 23rd 04, 08:30 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Welches wrote:

I'd be more skeptical that you are actually feeling movement than it's a
sign of a painful labour. It's probably just gas-it feels very similar.

I have never in my life felt gas that felt like my baby moving.

Pat actually correlated the feeling of her baby moving with seeing it
wiggle on ultrasound, so I would think she's pretty sure she feels it.

I also felt my baby (yes it's #1 for me) wiggling around around week 12.
It was like little butterfly flutters way down low in my belly. It
wasn't until week 16 that he actually gave me a solid "thump" and not
until week 18 that he started developing a routine and I could feel him
thump me from the outside.

Now at 28w6d he never stops moving

Old January 23rd 04, 09:51 PM
Shelly

"Welches" wrote in message
I'd be more skeptical that you are actually feeling movement than it's a
sign of a painful labour. It's probably just gas-it feels very similar.
For #1 I didn't feel movement until week 24, #2 half way through week 15.

was much less painful labour. If you've got weak tummy muscles you are

meant
to feel earlier, so that just shows what the first labour did for mine!
Debbie

I am positive I felt mine (and this is my first) at 14 weeks. And it didn't
feel like gas at all - it felt more like a little hummingbird fluttering
around.

-Michelle
edd 3/14/04

Old January 24th 04, 12:44 AM
P Harris

Larry McMahan wrote in message ...
Of course not! There are a lot of other factors, such as fear,
tension, or inability to move about freely during labor

Er, yes, of COURSE there are lots of factors that affect labor.

I was asking whether this might be *one of* them :-

Pat
Old January 24th 04, 12:51 AM
P Harris

"Sophie" wrote in message ...
My babies' movements were down-right *painful* at times. I don't even go
into labor, let alone have painful ones.

What does "I don't even go into labor" mean??

I never even heard of anyone *asking* if there's a correlation between
movement and labor. Weird idea IMO.

Well, now you've heard someone ask ;-)

My question wasn't whether there's a correlation between fetal
movement and painful labor - my question was whether FEELING fetal
movement exceptionally early and intensely had anything to do with how
labor would feel. Given that both issues involve (in part) how
sensitive the uterus and surrounding tissues are, it did not seem an
unreasonable question to me.

But, forget it.

Sheesh, I've every page of every book on pregnancy in FOUR local
libraries plus a large segment of what's on the web, and was just
looking for more actual firsthand information on the subject. I am not
clear on how asking questions like this indicates I just need to
"educate myself about pregnancy and labor".

Pat, going back to lurking
Old January 24th 04, 01:24 AM
Larry McMahan

P Harris writes:
: Larry McMahan wrote in message ...
: Of course not! There are a lot of other factors, such as fear,
: tension, or inability to move about freely during labor

: Er, yes, of COURSE there are lots of factors that affect labor.

: I was asking whether this might be *one of* them :-

OK. What I meant was...

First, you sound like a 'professional worrier.' :-)
(I say that as a professional worrier.)

Next, you sound like you may be afraid of (or, at least
worried about :-) pain in labor.

Third, you sound like a first time mom who doesn't know
much about the process or labor and birth.

That is why I said what I did.

I didn't talk about the first notion, since I thought there was
little or nothing to be said.

On the second, I tried to actually list several of the things
that had the MOST effect on causing (or not) pain in
labor.

And on the third, I tried to recommend the best first book
I could think for a new first time mom. One that would give
you objective information you could use.

Finally, no it is not one of them, and even if it is, it is
so far down the list it is not worth worring about. :-) If you
want to worry about something causing you pain in labor,
start with the most likely things first. :-) If you ever
get to the one you mentioned, it will probably be 25th or 30th
on the list.

Good luck,
Larry