Pledge of Allegiance Case: U.S. Supreme Court Wrongly Decides Fathers Have No Rights, Says Attorney

Old June 15th 04, 10:29 PM
Dusty

Default Pledge of Allegiance Case: U.S. Supreme Court Wrongly Decides Fathers Have No Rights, Says Attorney

Pledge of Allegiance Case: U.S. Supreme Court Wrongly Decides Fathers Have
No Rights, Says Attorney
June 15, 2004

----
MND NEWSWIRE
----

CHICAGO - The following was released today by fathers' rights attorney
Jeffery M. Leving on the case concerning Michael Newdow, which was thrown
out of the U.S. Supreme Court:

Michael Newdow's case was thrown out of the U.S. Supreme Court because the
highest court in the land says he does not have standing as a noncustodial
father to make legal decisions for his daughter.

According to fathers' rights attorney Jeffery M. Leving, this U.S. Supreme
Court decision deals a cruel blow to fathers and children and opens up a
Pandora's box of custody litigation for the future because now only
custodial parents will have rights.

"This is a dark day for noncustodial fathers and mothers, about 14 million
of them nationwide," said Leving, author of the book, Fathers' Rights. "The
shocking ramifications of this ruling are just beginning to set in. The U.S.
Supreme Court has decided that noncustodial parents are not parents. The
vast majority of noncustodial parents are fathers," according to Leving.

Despite all the recent government rhetoric promoting fatherhood, Attorney
Leving says this decision has set a damaging precedent that fathers have
responsibilities without rights.

Leving says the high court has said something to this effect: You are a fit
parent. You have had an excellent day to day relationship with your child
who loves you dearly. You go to family court. You amicably settle the
custody case to avoid litigation, and you become a noncustodial parent. As a
result, your fundamental right to protect your child is stripped away, and
you become a Disneyland Dad.

"Because of this U.S. Supreme Court decision, it is now almost impossible to
preserve one's parental rights by settling custody litigation and accepting
the role of noncustodial parent. Avoiding gut-wrenching custody litigation
will no longer be possible. Our legal system has just become much more
adversarial. Figuratively, the high court has just thrown gasoline on a fire
that is already out of control. Children do not need more litigation, they
need both parents," said Leving.

Leving believes that the U.S. Supreme Court justices, in the process of
circumventing the pledge question, have made a ruling that will deeply hurt
children and family values.

"Fathers are parents, too," said Attorney Leving.

Eliminate the impossible and whatever
remains, no matter how improbable, must
be the truth.

---- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ---