"People to People Student Ambassador" Program

Old September 30th 03, 04:10 AM
Naomi Pardue

Default "People to People Student Ambassador" Program

Anyone familiar with this program? We just got a letter inviting Shaina to
participate in one of their programs next summer. A look at their website and
quick browse around the net looks like it's legit (and probably expensive....)
but just wondering if anyone knows anything more about it, or has any
experience with it.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old October 1st 03, 04:46 AM
Sue

Naomi Pardue wrote in message
Anyone familiar with this program? We just got a letter inviting Shaina

participate in one of their programs next summer. A look at their website

and
quick browse around the net looks like it's legit (and probably

expensive....)
but just wondering if anyone knows anything more about it, or has any
experience with it.
Naomi

Our babysitter was in this program and my friend's son was/in this program.
It is very legit and a great program from an outsiders point of view. One
child went to Ireland for a month and the other child went to Australia. As
with anything that costs of this magnitude, there is fundraising involved.
If you have specific questions, I will be happy to ask both of them. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 1st 03, 09:36 PM
Naomi Pardue

It was very expensive, but I'm glad we let her do it.

The program that Shaina would be involved is a domestic one (2 weeks in
California) so I'm hoping it will be a bit less costly than the international
ones seem to be...

Old October 4th 03, 02:35 PM
Naomi Pardue

It's been around for quite awhile, too. I remember receiving
information about it when I was 14 or 15, I think. I'm 32 now

According to the website, it's been around since the 1950's. (Eisenhower was
the founder -- Bush is now the honorary head -- which doesn't exactly endear us
to the program itself....)

We're not sure yet how they got Shaina's name. The letter was pretty vague. It
said something like "either from a teacher or from some other source of
information about outstanding students in your area."

DH was bit concerned that it might be a scamm-ish kind of thing (like those
"Whose Who" books where they try to get you to pay big bucks for a book with
your name in it ... but it really means nothing at all. But the organization
looks legit, and we're encouraged by the reports here, so we'll go to the
meeting and see what they say. (I also need to call her teacher and see if he
sent her name in, or knows anything about how she was selected.)

She definitely IS one of the outstanding students at her school, so it's very
possible that the organization contacted the schools in our district and asked
each school to recommend the top few 6th graders for the program.

Old October 6th 03, 01:40 PM

On 04 Oct 2003 13:35:11 GMT, OSPAM (Naomi Pardue)
wrote:

It's been around for quite awhile, too. I remember receiving
information about it when I was 14 or 15, I think. I'm 32 now

According to the website, it's been around since the 1950's. (Eisenhower was
the founder -- Bush is now the honorary head -- which doesn't exactly endear us
to the program itself....)

The current President is always the honorary head. When my daughter
went, it was during Clinton's term. President Eisenhower started the
program to use students as ambassadors to other countries to inspire
goodwill.

We're not sure yet how they got Shaina's name. The letter was pretty vague. It
said something like "either from a teacher or from some other source of
information about outstanding students in your area."

My understanding is that your child is recommended based on several
characteristics. They don't offer this program to juvenile delinquents
because the children serve as ambassadors for the U.S. That's the
focus of the program.

DH was bit concerned that it might be a scamm-ish kind of thing (like those
"Whose Who" books where they try to get you to pay big bucks for a book with
your name in it ... but it really means nothing at all. But the organization
looks legit, and we're encouraged by the reports here, so we'll go to the
meeting and see what they say. (I also need to call her teacher and see if he
sent her name in, or knows anything about how she was selected.)

She definitely IS one of the outstanding students at her school, so it's very
possible that the organization contacted the schools in our district and asked
each school to recommend the top few 6th graders for the program.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

(either remove spamblock or change address to
to e-mail
reply.)

Old August 5th 05, 05:35 PM
KD1

I'd like to know if your daughter went thru with the program and if it
legit and beneficial.