play doh

Old March 16th 04, 03:28 AM
elizabeth emerald

Default play doh

does anyone know what the ingredients of commercial play doh are? DS is
allergic to egg & he's just been playing with it & i didn't even think to
check what was in it. it doesn't say on the packet.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Old March 16th 04, 03:30 AM
elizabeth emerald

"elizabeth emerald" wrote in message
does anyone know what the ingredients of commercial play doh are? DS is
allergic to egg & he's just been playing with it & i didn't even think to
check what was in it. it doesn't say on the packet.
--

oops i posted that to the wrong newsgroup. but if you know, you can tell me!

Old March 16th 04, 08:15 PM
A & L Lane

Default OT: play doh

"elizabeth emerald" wrote in message

"A&G&K" wrote in message

"Tine Andersen" wrote in message
. ..

"A & L Lane" lonewood @ telstra . com wrote in message
the stuff you make yourself is much better - it feels a lot nicer to

play
with and is really easy to make. The recipe is on the back of the

Cream
of
Tartar box but cook it a bit longer than the recipe says - cook

until
it
comes together. Use any food colouring or poster paint powder to

colour.

COOK IT???? I've always made play-doh out of flour, salt and water -

and
food colouring. Can you cook it??

Can you see the question marks on my forehead?

Tine, Denmark

p.s. What is Tartar?

Yeah cook it ... it has a wonderful consistency and lasts for ages. I

make
it in the microwave and its just too easy.
Recipe follows (cup = 250 ml; Tablespoon = 20 ml; desert spoon ... ummm

less
than a tablespoon...)
1 cup plain flour
1 Tablespoon oil
dessertspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup salt
food colouring if desired.
method: add food colouring to the water 1st! Mix all ingredients

together
and cook on high power for about 1 minute. Stir. Cook on high power

for
further minute to 1.5 minutes. Knead to form soft dough. Store in a
plastic bag in the fridge.
I also add a few drops of lavender oil before kneading.

what wattage is your high power? my microwave must have a really high one
(it's 850 watts) as seems to be way too much power. or maybe it's the

dodgy
operator.....?
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

I hadnt thought of using the microwave (I'll give it a try next time) - I
just cook it in a saucepan on the stove because I find it easier to stir it
a lot while it is coming together. I found that the poster paint powder was
good for getting strong colours - the food colouring tends to be a bit
pastel. But it depends what I have to hand. Amanda's tip for adding
lavender oil is also a good one - I do that a lot. Or other oils -
rosemary, mint, etc to give the kids a "smell" dimension added to the
"touch" aspect of playdough - or adding a small pinch of glitter is
sometimes nice. Playdough is really fun. I keep mine in a plastic bag in
the fridge (butter compartment in the door) and it keeps for ages.

cheers
Leah

Old March 16th 04, 09:53 PM
A&G&K

"A&G&K" wrote in message

[...]

Dunno - 1000W I think. Having said that, Mum has the same model (Sharp
Carousel) and hers cooks much hotter than mine??
I cook it for less time than the suggested time, but it seems to work. It
does come together better after I knead it a bit so maybe reduce the time a
bit for your microwave. I do the 1 minute, stir and then a further minute.
Maybe check before the allotted time is up and its OK if it looks a little
"underdone" as it will keep "cooking" after you take it out of the
microwave.
HTH
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old March 23rd 04, 07:25 AM
zolw

I found an answer to your question at
http://www.hasbro.com/playdoh/pl/pag...default.cfm#q1

it said the following:
" What are the ingredients in PLAY-DOH compound?

The exact ingredients of PLAY-DOH compound are proprietary, so we cannot
share them with you.

We can tell you that it is primarily a mixture of water, salt and flour.
It does NOT contain peanuts, peanut oil, or any milk byproducts.

PLAY-DOH compound is non-toxic, non-irritating & non-allergenic except
as noted:
Children who are allergic to wheat gluten may have an allergic reaction
to this product.

There is no MSDS sheet required for PLAY-DOH compound."