Breast Pump Recommendation

Old January 27th 04, 08:04 PM
Ann

Default Breast Pump Recommendation

Looking for advice in my situation: I have an Avent Isis that I used
with my first babe for the occasional bottle, and I was never really
successful pumping ... the most I'd get after about 20 minutes was 1-2
oz. (I tried pumping every day, tried it when babe was nursing, tried
it first thing in the morning ...) Now that babe #2 is here, I've got
even less time to pump and the same problem, so I'm thinking about
getting an electric but don't have any idea what to get. Renting from
a hospital will cost $20/week plus $45 for a replacement kit, so I'm
thinking about just buying one, as I've heard that double electric
should help increase my production. Any thoughts? Please email me
(annatspotgirl.net) ... thanks!

Ann
Old February 18th 04, 01:36 PM
news.39311

I have a Medala pump in style... it was $275, but when I compared the cost
of formula vs the cost of a good pump to my husband, he was all for spending
the money. Works as well as a hospital pump too.

I did read that there are newer ones out with a "let down" button, which
sound even better. I also have an ISIS which is good for travel, but I
would not have succeeded as far as I have without the medala.

Good luck!

om...

Old February 18th 04, 09:23 PM
toypup

"Ann" wrote in message
om...
Looking for advice in my situation: I have an Avent Isis that I used
with my first babe for the occasional bottle, and I was never really
successful pumping ... the most I'd get after about 20 minutes was 1-2
oz. (I tried pumping every day, tried it when babe was nursing, tried
it first thing in the morning ...) Now that babe #2 is here, I've got
even less time to pump and the same problem, so I'm thinking about
getting an electric but don't have any idea what to get. Renting from
a hospital will cost $20/week plus $45 for a replacement kit, so I'm
thinking about just buying one, as I've heard that double electric
should help increase my production. Any thoughts? Please email me
(annatspotgirl.net) ... thanks!

Sorry about tagging on. I had an Avent Isis and never really liked it. I
had a PY that worked well. This time, I have a Whisperwear. I tried it out
yesterday and it's great. Now, I can pump while driving to and from work.

Old March 19th 04, 04:26 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article rJQYb.215665$U%5.1252284@attbi_s03,
toypup wrote:
"Ann" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Ooh, was hoping to find someone who'd tried one. Is it really as quiet as
they advertise? How noticable would be in an office environment?

We have mother's room, but if I miss my scheduled slot due to meetings or
other work randomness, it's hard to catch up for the day and I'm always
looking for a better way.

I'm finding I don't let down as well for the pump as I did the first time,
we're probably going to have to supplement a little before DD2 is big
enough for solids

-Liz

Old March 19th 04, 04:57 PM
toypup

toypup wrote:
Sorry about tagging on. I had an Avent Isis and never really liked it.

had a PY that worked well. This time, I have a Whisperwear. I tried it

out
yesterday and it's great. Now, I can pump while driving to and from

work.

Ooh, was hoping to find someone who'd tried one. Is it really as quiet as
they advertise?
How noticable would be in an office environment?

Now that I've tried it, I can honestly say that I love it. It's not silent.
You could definitely hear it. Quieter than my PY but not by a whole lot.
The good thing is you can cover everything with your clothes so you are not
exposed. You need a stretchy bra, but I live in those.

Your boobs will look like they've grown considerably. The noise is very
noticeable. People will wonder why your boobs look like torpedos and what's
that mechanical noise in there? I would feel uncomfortable conducting
business with it on.

We have mother's room, but if I miss my scheduled slot due to meetings or
other work randomness, it's hard to catch up for the day and I'm always
looking for a better way.

I will use mine while commuting to and from work and during lunch. With my
PY, I could only use it during lunch. It was hard to eat leaning forward,
trying to keep both horns on and being tethered by the pump. This will make
it much easier.

At home, I put it on and go about the house doing my chores.

I'm finding I don't let down as well for the pump as I did the first time,
we're probably going to have to supplement a little before DD2 is big
enough for solids

Sorry, I've never had this problem, so I don't know if Whisperwear is better
for this. I do get plenty of milk and it has this cycling that the other
pumps don't that's supposed to mimic the baby's suckle pattern to stimulate
letdown, so it might be better for you than the other pumps.

Old March 23rd 04, 03:17 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article GDF6c.42004$SR1.48730@attbi_s04,
toypup wrote:

Now that I've tried it, I can honestly say that I love it. It's not silent.
You could definitely hear it. Quieter than my PY but not by a whole lot.
The good thing is you can cover everything with your clothes so you are not
exposed. You need a stretchy bra, but I live in those.

Your boobs will look like they've grown considerably. The noise is very
noticeable. People will wonder why your boobs look like torpedos and what's
that mechanical noise in there? I would feel uncomfortable conducting
business with it on.

I suspected that despite the nice photo of a woman in office clothes in the
ad, you'd need more privacy than a cubicle provides.

I will use mine while commuting to and from work and during lunch. With my
PY, I could only use it during lunch. It was hard to eat leaning forward,
trying to keep both horns on and being tethered by the pump. This will make
it much easier.

I commute by subway, and although this would hardly be the weirdest thing
you'd see I think I'll pass :*)

At home, I put it on and go about the house doing my chores.

Being able to pump while walking around the house might be worth it though,
I could do more catching up evenings and weekends, keep the freezer stash
from depleting too quickly.

-Liz

Old March 23rd 04, 05:24 PM
Mary W.

toypup wrote:

Now that I've tried it, I can honestly say that I love it. It's not silent.
You could definitely hear it. Quieter than my PY but not by a whole lot.
The good thing is you can cover everything with your clothes so you are not
exposed. You need a stretchy bra, but I live in those.

Your boobs will look like they've grown considerably. The noise is very
noticeable. People will wonder why your boobs look like torpedos and what's
that mechanical noise in there? I would feel uncomfortable conducting
business with it on.

I suspected that despite the nice photo of a woman in office clothes in the
ad, you'd need more privacy than a cubicle provides.

Just so you know, women do pump in cubicles, with electric pumps. Its
certainly not ideal, but is doable. A friend of mind did this for 10 months
for her daughter. She bought one of those folding screens that she put
across her door, wore nursing shirts so she was well covered while pumping
and pumped at her desk. She said she was a bit embarrassed at first, but
got over it, and never had any complaints from coworkers. She had the
purely yours pump.

Like I said, not ideal, but better than alot of the alternatives!

Mary

Question for Moms: Pack N Play, Breast Pump, Bottles Carol Ann Pregnancy 28 March 7th 04 05:35 PM
Pre-owned breast pump? Auntie Bubbles Pregnancy 10 February 13th 04 05:10 PM
breast pump Betty Pregnancy 6 December 2nd 03 11:28 PM
Need Breast pump recommendation CarolynRS1 Breastfeeding 3 October 30th 03 08:11 PM
what is a good breast pump Dawn Lawson Breastfeeding 12 August 31st 03 08:55 AM