Sling/carrier rec?

Old March 6th 04, 04:56 AM
Deirdre

Default Sling/carrier rec?

I'm sure this has been covered here before, so I hope you'll forgive the redundancy --

My little bean is 10 weeks old and about 11 pounds or so. I've tried a couple of different carriers (Snugli, EuroRider) and a "SlingRider" sling, and loathe all of them.
The carriers feel like they're made by the Marquis de Sade, what with the straps digging into me at every point. The sling is little more than a denim purse and DS hates it because he can't see out of it at all.
I've looked online quite exhaustively and have spotted a couple that look promising (Hugabub, for one) but have yet to plunk down the $80 to try it.
I hear positive things about ring slings, but seriously -- that fabric bit dangling off the end is a nightmare waiting to happen for someone as clumsy as I am.

Any sagely wisdom?

Thanks, all

--
Deirdre, in the company of Baby Beastie

Old March 6th 04, 07:21 PM
Mom2Aries

A moby wrap can give you the same carry type as a hug a bub, but it's only 30-35 dollars.

As for the fabric hanging on the ring sling, you can just tuck it under the bottom rail and it will be out of your way. Or get a smaller sling, which will cut down on the length of the tail.

--
Cadie and Aries

Old March 6th 04, 11:22 PM
Deirdre

"Mom2Aries" wrote in message

A moby wrap can give you the same carry type as a hug a bub, but it's only
30-35 dollars.

Brilliant! I hadn't realized as much. Thank you!

Old March 7th 04, 05:11 PM
Dragon

"Deirdre" wrote in message ...
[...]

I'd recommend a Mayawrap (www.mayawrap.com). My DS hated the padded
carriers I had, but loved being in the mayawrap. It comes with a
video that really helps you understand how to wear the thing correctly
and comfortably. DS was a big kid--at 11 weeks he was 15 pounds, and
at 17 weeks he was 20 pounds--so the Baby Bjorn just *killed* my back.
The mayawrap allows baby to ride on your hip, and evenly distributes
baby's weight across your body. It's also *way* less than $80.

dragon
Old March 8th 04, 01:16 AM
Deirdre

Dragon wrote:

I'd recommend a Mayawrap (www.mayawrap.com). My DS hated the padded
carriers I had, but loved being in the mayawrap. It comes with a
video that really helps you understand how to wear the thing
correctly
and comfortably. DS was a big kid--at 11 weeks he was 15 pounds, and
at 17 weeks he was 20 pounds--so the Baby Bjorn just *killed* my
back. The mayawrap allows baby to ride on your hip, and evenly
distributes
baby's weight across your body. It's also *way* less than $80.

dragon

I appreciate the feedback, thank you! Perhaps you can tell me --
I carry DS around close to my chest so he can see behind me, over my
shoulder. The carriers I've tried so far don't afford him this view, which
is mostly what I suspect he doesn't like about them. Can the Mayawrap (or
any other you might know of) be arranged to accomodate his yen for that kind
of visibility?
I've been assuming they don't, and that he'll have to get used to
alternatives (forward facing, etc.).

Old March 8th 04, 03:34 AM
A & L Lane

"Deirdre" wrote in message
Dragon wrote:

[...]

not sure how old your baby is but I used to carry my son in the sling in a
kind of cross-legged position sitting on my chest facing outwards - I think
some people call it the "tailor" carry. They might seem a bit scrunched up
but in fact it is really comfortable, very safe and secure while giving them
lots of opportunity to look around at the world - if they fall asleep, you
can just lean them over to one side for a sleeping position. When he got a
bit older, the hip carry position was more suitable. Depending on size, you
could give this a go as it might be a bit easier on your back and although
it is forward facing, it might give your baby the view he wants. This would
work with most slings - mine is Australian so no point in giving you the
brand.

cheers
Leah

Old March 8th 04, 08:05 AM
HollyLewis

I carry DS around close to my chest so he can see behind me, over my
shoulder. The carriers I've tried so far don't afford him this view, which
is mostly what I suspect he doesn't like about them. Can the Mayawrap (or
any other you might know of) be arranged to accomodate his yen for that kind
of visibility?
I've been assuming they don't, and that he'll have to get used to
alternatives (forward facing, etc.).

Any ring sling allows you to do this, as long as you can snug it up tight
enough -- which you may or may not be able to do with a padded sling. It's
called the snuggle or tummy-to-tummy hold, and it's the one I used most often
with my DS when he wasn't nursing or sleeping.

Two ring slings, crossed, or a wraparound, especially stretchy knit ones, allow
you to do it more securely with the baby in a very high (shoulder burp type)
position. (Check out the pictures of the MamaBaby two-sling positions:
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl..._instr_2sc.asp )

That's really what's so fantastic about slings and wraps, as opposed to
buckle-and-strap type carriers -- you can use them in lots of different
positions, to suit different situations or purposes.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old March 8th 04, 01:58 PM
Karen

"Deirdre" wrote in message ...
[...]

Pouch?
I have a pouch from http://www.kangarookorner.com and the difference
in comfort for me compared to your typical sling is HUGE-nothing digs
and the weight distribution is pretty good. I've been using it since
ds was 5 days old, he's now almost 6 months and we still use it
frequently and easily.

Karen

Thanks, all

Old March 8th 04, 02:48 PM
FayeC

Mayawraps allow you to carry the baby in many positions.
Deirdre loved being upright since she was a month old. I never put her in
the craddle hold.
she was wrapped tight against my chest with the fabric sort of over her head
to give support. I would also use my hand when I flt she needed more neck
support.
From the upright hold we went to the hip carry and that is the one we use
most nowadays although we also use the kangoroo carry sometimes.
The website has the videos online for you to see how many ways you can carry
a baby using the wrap.

hth,

FayeC

Old March 8th 04, 04:02 PM
Dragon

"Deirdre" wrote in message ...
Dragon wrote:

[...]

I would bet that you could arrange a mayawrap snug and high enough so
that your son could peek out over your shoulder as you say. Check out
the pictures on the mayawrap site and see what you think. This sling
is *so* adjustable, you can essentially do it just about however you
want. As my DS grew, he preferred different positions--from about 7
months on, he preferred to ride on my hip, rather than in the kangaroo
face-forward position. My little guy *never* liked snuggling close to
my chest, so those types of positions were out from the git-go.

Mayawrap has also improved the design of their pouch, which makes it
all the more alluring than it did to me originally. I never tried
one--went for the sling instead--but they look like they might be
really fun now that you can adjust the size. Check those out as
well...

A mayawrap is lightweight and compact--you can stick it in your purse
or diaper bag without any trouble at all. I just loved how easy it
was to dump DS into the carseat still in the sling, and how easy it
was to pull him out, throw it over my shoulder and be on my way. No
more strollers!!! I got lots of comments from people when we were out
and about as well, cuz DS was so obviously happy and I was so free to
zoom about shopping or whatever. It was most definately one of the
best baby purchases I ever made. Enjoy!

dragon