Cheap Nursing Shirts

Old October 10th 03, 06:43 AM
Nina

Default Cheap Nursing Shirts

I get the idea that Im one of the younger ones here, so maybe no one else
cares BUT! I cannot make myself spend a zillion (meaning 40) dollars on a
nursing shirt. I just CANNOT. I even looked at patterns to sew and that
didnt seem fun either. SO..... In the interest of being cheap, I decided on
another plan. Since its cold here and will be cold till late May, I can get
away with 2 shirts. I'm just gonna steal a few of my husbands old t-shirts
and cut slits in them, zig zag around the edges and then wear the t-shirt
under my normal shirts and sweaters. Since I dont anticipate being itty
bitty again, the extra bulk wont bother me. Plus, I'd be wearing a few
layers anyway due to the cold and my refusal to heat the house like a normal
person.

Hmm, actually I think my dearly departed stepmonkey left some old t-shirts
that I have yet to take to the thrift store. Those would be even better
since they are smaller and would be less bulky.
(I knew it was time to dress like a grown up when I did laundry and couldnt
tell my 9 year olds t-shirts from mine)

Nina

Old October 10th 03, 01:51 PM
Shelly

"Nina" wrote in message
t...
I get the idea that Im one of the younger ones here, so maybe no one else
cares BUT! I cannot make myself spend a zillion (meaning 40) dollars on

nursing shirt. I just CANNOT. I even looked at patterns to sew and that
didnt seem fun either. SO..... In the interest of being cheap, I decided

on
another plan. Since its cold here and will be cold till late May, I can

get
away with 2 shirts. I'm just gonna steal a few of my husbands old t-shirts
and cut slits in them, zig zag around the edges and then wear the t-shirt
under my normal shirts and sweaters.

Another even easier idea might be ebay...I see quite a few nursing shirts
there going for around $5.

Best of luck!

--
Michelle
critter edd 3/14/04

Old October 10th 03, 02:09 PM
KD

I nursed both my dd and my ds for a year each and I never bought a
single nursing shirt. A few nursing bras - yes, but not any special
clothes. If I was going somewhere where I knew I would be nursing in
public, I made sure to wear something like a t-shirt under a button
down shirt and it worked great.

Old October 10th 03, 02:24 PM
Crystal Dreamer

I just had to reply when Nina wrote:
Oops, I meant to post this elsewhere,but I suppose it fits here.

LOL... I thought it was perfectly fine! At least it wasn't in
alt.games.the-sims

--
-Crystal Dreamer
http://www.livin-it-up.net

Old October 10th 03, 02:49 PM
Nina

"Crystal Dreamer" wrote in message
I just had to reply when Nina wrote:
Oops, I meant to post this elsewhere,but I suppose it fits here.

LOL... I thought it was perfectly fine! At least it wasn't in
alt.games.the-sims

lol
True, but that might inspire someone. I can just see the new "Peek A Boo
Nursing Collection"

Sadly, I have neglected my SIms for months, just to uncomfy to sit in the
chair. I do miss them!

I hope you are feeling well!
Nina

Old October 10th 03, 03:14 PM
Irene

"Nina" wrote in message et...
[...]

You don't even necessarily have to cut slits in them. Especially if
you dress in layers, you can just lift your shirt, and use the baby as
coverage. (Lots of recent threads in mkb about this sort of stuff.)
I have a 2yo who still bf's, and I don't have a single nursing
shirt...

Irene
Old October 10th 03, 04:57 PM
Nina

"Irene" wrote in message
om...
"Nina" wrote in message

et...
[...]

Hmm, Im from the South and now in Colorado, I might get cold if I have my
entire tshirt up. Normally around the house I use the "whip it out" method,
but I h ave a teenaged boy now and my father here,so I have to be a little
modest. Knowing me,Iwill do whatever is cheapest. The lift the shirt and
cover baby w/a blanket method works well too

Old October 10th 03, 07:44 PM
Vicki S

"Nina" wrote:
I get the idea that Im one of the younger ones here, so maybe no one else
cares BUT! I cannot make myself spend a zillion (meaning 40) dollars on a
nursing shirt. I just CANNOT.

Well, I'm 35, so I doubt I'm one of the younger ones here, and I work on
the frugal thing all the time. We've only got my DH's income to support
the 4 of us, so I try to stretch it.
Anyway, yeah! Good ideas! And weren't we just talking about this? You
could Google back to see if useful stuff got said before and isn't
getting repeated.

I recommend:
Don't bother to serge around the edges of the nursing slits unless you
are *very* hard on your clothes. In my experience machine knits like
that don't rip. I sewed around the edges of the one sweatshirt I hacked
up and I was wasting my time. All the rest of my hacked up shirts I
left as is with no more tearing.
For really cold weather, put nursing slits in turtlenecks and
sweatshirts. Turtlenecks are good for daytime layering, sweatshirts are
good for sleeping in.
If you need more of these sacrificial lamb shirts than you have at hand
in your house, raid the thrift store.
--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995
Old October 10th 03, 08:11 PM
Nina

"Vicki S" wrote in message
"Nina" wrote:
I get the idea that Im one of the younger ones here, so maybe no one

else
cares BUT! I cannot make myself spend a zillion (meaning 40) dollars

on a
nursing shirt. I just CANNOT.

Well, I'm 35, so I doubt I'm one of the younger ones here,

This was actually a post to a different NG, where I think I am one of the
younger ones. Im probably one of the older ones here

and I work on
the frugal thing all the time. We've only got my DH's income to support
the 4 of us, so I try to stretch it.
Anyway, yeah! Good ideas! And weren't we just talking about this? You
could Google back to see if useful stuff got said before and isn't
getting repeated.

I cant remember, was it here or the breast feeding group? My brain is gone
right now

I will have to go find some cheap (used) turtlenecks.