allergic to breastmilk?????

Old November 18th 03, 11:19 PM
Plissken

Default allergic to breastmilk?????

I was talking to a friend and she said that her SIL has a very colicky baby
(3.5 months) and hasn't been getting much sleep at all. Her SIL was
breastfeeding and recently decided to switch to formula. Well, as soon as
she switched to formula her DS has not been crying and is sleeping much
better. My friend said that she has heard that "some babies can be allergic
to breastmilk", WTF??? This can't be true can it? This woman had eliminated
just about everything from her diet but nothing had worked. Maybe it was
just coincidence and her DS was starting to get over his colic? Not that
it's any of my business what this woman does but I was just curious as to
what you all think of the situation.

Nadene

Old November 18th 03, 11:35 PM
Clare L

Colic - rule of thumb, starts at 3 weeks, ends at 3 months, feels like it
lasts forever

--
Clare L

newsOxub.427394$pl3.181333@pd7tw3no...

Old November 19th 03, 12:00 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Plissken wrote:

My friend said that she has heard that "some babies can be allergic
to breastmilk", WTF??? This can't be true can it?

Sounds to me like the woman who told me her baby was lactose
intolerant. As soon as mom switched to lactose-free milk,
the baby was fine. I gave up trying to explain the
biological impossibility of that after the 3rd try -- it's
really hard to argue with "I did A and B stopped, therefore
not-A must have caused B."

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old November 19th 03, 12:19 AM
New York Jen

"Plissken" wrote in message
newsOxub.427394$pl3.181333@pd7tw3no...
I was talking to a friend and she said that her SIL has a very colicky

baby
(3.5 months) and hasn't been getting much sleep at all. Her SIL was
breastfeeding and recently decided to switch to formula. Well, as soon as
she switched to formula her DS has not been crying and is sleeping much
better. My friend said that she has heard that "some babies can be

allergic
to breastmilk", WTF??? This can't be true can it? This woman had

eliminated
just about everything from her diet but nothing had worked. Maybe it was
just coincidence and her DS was starting to get over his colic? Not that
it's any of my business what this woman does but I was just curious as to
what you all think of the situation.

Nadene

My good friend has celiac disease and many other auto immune issues. She
had intended to breastfeed her daughter exclusively for a year because there
are many studies showing that the incidents of celiac are greatly reduced if
the mom nurses. The baby had blood in her stool just about from the very
beginning. My friend cut EVERYTHING out of her diet...I mean, she was
eating rice and chicken (plain) and that was it, for weeks. She was
miserable, but wanted what was best for her baby...who by the way, didn't
stop bleeding until they switched to special formula. She's on something
called Neocate, which is really expensive and supposedly very
hypoallergenic. As of now her daughter's doing fine, she'll be a year in
January. She nursed until about 4 months, so she got some benefits.

I think that cases like this are extremely rare and that it's more likely
that the woman you spoke to just got poor advice.

- Jen

Old November 19th 03, 12:29 AM
Leslie

I have a friend whose baby has a very rare disease--I cannot remember the name
of it but I believe only about 400 people in the US have it. He cannot
tolerate breastmilk or any other food except for a special formula that comes
from England. He was bleeding inside from the breastmilk.

Obviously, though, this kind of thing is extremely rare. Dollars to doughnuts
your friend got bad advice/information.

Leslie
Old November 19th 03, 01:49 AM
Plissken

"Leslie" wrote in message
I have a friend whose baby has a very rare disease--I cannot remember the

name
of it but I believe only about 400 people in the US have it. He cannot
tolerate breastmilk or any other food except for a special formula that

comes
from England. He was bleeding inside from the breastmilk.

Obviously, though, this kind of thing is extremely rare. Dollars to

doughnuts
your friend got bad advice/information.

I think she did either get poor advice or is uniformed (I'm not sure she
consulted with anyone before switching to formula) because she is not
feeding her baby special formula just regular cow's milk formula.

Old November 19th 03, 05:55 AM
iphigenia

Plissken wrote:
Not that it's any of my business
what this woman does but I was just curious as to what you all think
of the situation.

There's a condition called galactosemia. It's very rare. If the baby was
galactosemic, it wouldn't have just been fussy on breastmilk:

"Primary lactose intolerance in a baby is very rare and is caused by a
metabolic disorder (primary lactase deficiency or galactosemia). This
disorder is immediately apparent and characterized by profuse diarrhea and
vomiting from the time the mother's milk comes in. Baby will fail to thrive
from birth (i.e., not even start to gain weight), and show obvious symptoms
of malabsorption and dehydration. This is a medical emergency, and baby will
need a special lactose-free formula from soon after birth." - kellymom.com

Kinda doubt that was the problem ; )

More likely, the baby a: was just colicky and the introduction of formula
coincided with the outgrowing of colickiness, or b: the baby didn't tolerate
something, probably dairy, in the mother's diet.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old November 19th 03, 10:42 AM
Herself

New York Jen wrote:

She was
miserable, but wanted what was best for her baby...who by the way, didn't
stop bleeding until they switched to special formula. She's on something
called Neocate, which is really expensive and supposedly very
hypoallergenic. As of now her daughter's doing fine, she'll be a year in
January. She nursed until about 4 months, so she got some benefits.

Yep, Neocate is one of the formulas that dairy-allergic babies are put
on. Super expensive, from what I've heard.

And again, why there is formula in the world is for your friend. And
props to her for nursing for 4 months!
--
'Tis Herself
Old November 19th 03, 11:30 AM
Anne Rogers

I think she did either get poor advice or is uniformed (I'm not sure she
consulted with anyone before switching to formula) because she is not
feeding her baby special formula just regular cow's milk formula.

yikes, you say the baby is 3.5 months, you really should say something,
the baby just won't be getting the right nutrition on cows milk at this
age.

Old November 19th 03, 11:32 AM
Anne Rogers

I have a friend whose baby has a very rare disease--I cannot remember the name
of it but I believe only about 400 people in the US have it. He cannot
tolerate breastmilk or any other food except for a special formula that comes
from England. He was bleeding inside from the breastmilk.

Obviously, though, this kind of thing is extremely rare. Dollars to doughnuts
your friend got bad advice/information.

could be PKU (phenylketonuria I think) very rare, but babies with this
can't digest protein at all (or maybe only in some very uncommon forms),
adults with it have to get all there food on prescription. It's tested for
with the heel prick/guthrie test at around a week old in the UK.