important read this...

Old June 4th 05, 03:32 AM
Tori M.

Default important read this...

http://www.jadachesney.com/

Tori

--
Xavier 10/04 "Look mommy I am crawling"
Bonnie 3/02 "No Xayur thats my blankie"
349.5/327.5/135

Old June 4th 05, 03:44 AM
Stormlady

Posted below is the newspaper story as well. It's pretty horrible.
"Tori M." wrote in message
http://www.jadachesney.com/

Tori

Old June 4th 05, 04:54 AM
Tori M.

grrr ment to pass it on to a email group.. I am such a dork sometimes.

Tori

--
"Stormlady" wrote in message
Posted below is the newspaper story as well. It's pretty horrible.
"Tori M." wrote in message
http://www.jadachesney.com/

Tori

Old June 4th 05, 05:32 AM
Marie

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 22:54:38 -0500, "Tori M."
wrote:
grrr ment to pass it on to a email group.. I am such a dork sometimes.

But it seems very important to me, I'm glad you were a dork this time
;o)
After reading the site, I searched on google and found that it's
pretty common for glass tables to shatter out of nowhere. I wouldn't
spend so much money on furniture that just sits outdoors, but it's
good to know the risk because other people have that type of
furniture.
Marie
Old June 4th 05, 12:46 PM
Welches

wrote:
grrr ment to pass it on to a email group.. I am such a dork sometimes.

But it seems very important to me, I'm glad you were a dork this time
;o)
After reading the site, I searched on google and found that it's
pretty common for glass tables to shatter out of nowhere. I wouldn't
spend so much money on furniture that just sits outdoors, but it's
good to know the risk because other people have that type of
furniture.
Marie

My inlaws have 2 coffee tables with the tops like a window. That is wood
round the outside like a frame, and then a sheet of (ordinary) glass resting
on the frame. These have been broken several times (mostly by bil sitting on
them) Will they realise what a hazard these are for the kids? Well at
Christmas #2 (14 months then) decided it was fun to crawl through and sit up
to bump the glass from underneath. Apparently I should tell her not to...
and then she won't. And dh wonders why I complain that going there is
stressful! There are so many little hazards for the children-no where is
absolutely safe and if I ask for something moved I get this "fussy mother"
look. Usually followed by "I never did that for mine and they were fine".
Grrrrrrrrr.
Debbie

Old June 4th 05, 09:17 PM
Melania

"Stormlady" wrote in message
Posted below is the newspaper story as well. It's pretty horrible.
"Tori M." wrote in message
http://www.jadachesney.com/

Tori

--
Xavier 10/04 "Look mommy I am crawling"
Bonnie 3/02 "No Xayur thats my blankie"
349.5/327.5/135

whoa. We're in the second furnished rental that has a glass-topped
dining table - at the first place the table was chipped when we moved
in, which we photographed, and after 2 months there was a crack running
from the chip almost right across the table. They replaced it without
blaming us. I have a plastic tablecloth covering the one where we are
now, although I doubt that will do much to stop it from shattering, if
it were to do so. However - is it only patio tables that are
shattering? I wonder if frequent temperature changes (say, heating up a
lot during the day and then cooling down at night) would stress the
glass?

I'd love to get rid of this table, but it belongs to the owner, who we
can't contact directly (we're through a management company), we have
nowhere to store it, and we don't have a replacement on hand. Grr. Man,
that's scary.

Melania

Old June 4th 05, 09:40 PM
V.

"Melania" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Stormlady" wrote in message
Posted below is the newspaper story as well. It's pretty horrible.
"Tori M." wrote in message
http://www.jadachesney.com/

Tori

--
[...]

I just need to point out that in the story posted, the child was placed _on_
the glass top table, resulting in it breaking. It was probably safety glass
which has a coating on it to make it shatter into little fragments, not
large razor sharp shards. So, when a baby was placed on it (bad idea), the
glass could not handle the weight and it shattered as it was supposed to.
If it had been a regular sheet of glass (like your indoor table probably
is), the baby would have been more severely injured by the jagged pieces of
glass.
So, I can think of several ways to avoid this:
#1) Do not put a baby on a glass top table.
#2) Make sure that if it's glass, it's safety glass. Same goes for windows
that are within reach (the building code here says within 2ft or so of the
floor). Safety glass is more brittle (takes less force to break), but try
putting your hand through regular glass sometime.
#3) Replace glass tops with either plexiglass if you really like the look (I
could never keep mine clean) or plywood/MDF panels. I'd use thin MDF and
paint it.

I do realize that glass patio tables have been known to shatter without
anyone even near it...in those cases I'd expect either temperature changes,
or vibration (wind catching the umbrella in the middle of the table, etc) to
be the culprit. I just don't find it so surprising that placing a baby on a
glass top table could result in breakage.

I got rid of my glass top coffee table a long time ago (who wants to clean
the thing), but I'm not sure what to do about my glass patio table. I'm
inclined to not place the baby on it for one thing, and maybe put it in an
area that the baby wouldn't be allowed. Using a wooden or MDF "cover" could
also at least prevent the pieces from flying up into the air.

Actually, Melania, that might be the answer to your problem since you can't
store the table. Build a cover to go over the top of the table if it has a
wooden frame with glass inserts. If it's all glass, honestly I'd tell the
management company to come get it or put it in a storage facility.

Good luck!
Amy
EDD 11/25/05

Old June 4th 05, 10:12 PM
Melania

V. wrote:
"Melania" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Stormlady" wrote in message
Posted below is the newspaper story as well. It's pretty horrible.
"Tori M." wrote in message
http://www.jadachesney.com/

Tori

--
[...]

Ah. I totally missed that the baby was placed ON the table.

Would not occur to me to do that.

#1) Do not put a baby on a glass top table.
#2) Make sure that if it's glass, it's safety glass. Same goes for windows
#3) Replace glass tops with either plexiglass if you really like the look (I
[...]

It's all glass - just a big heavy sheet of glass sitting on top of
metal legs. Very "modern" looking (well, it was till the plastic picnic
tablecloth came along!), and very impractical.

We should probably ask the managers to remove it. Which, unfortunately,
will mean buying a table . . .

Melania

Old June 5th 05, 01:28 AM
Stormlady

"V." wrote in message

"Melania" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Stormlady" wrote in message
Posted below is the newspaper story as well. It's pretty horrible.
"Tori M." wrote in message
http://www.jadachesney.com/

Tori

--
[...]

The story actually points out that the glass didn't shatter as it was
supposed to, (it was safety glass) but actually did go into shards for quite
a bit of the glass, those shards are what cut up her face.

The thread below called glass patio sets safety issue give the text of the
local newspaper coverage.

if you go to the site, it gives links to several review sites which tell
stories of many of these tables being shattered with no force on them at
all. Scary stuff that's for sure.

So, I can think of several ways to avoid this:
#1) Do not put a baby on a glass top table.
#2) Make sure that if it's glass, it's safety glass. Same goes for

windows

Old June 5th 05, 05:51 AM
Tori M.

"Melania" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Stormlady" wrote in message
Posted below is the newspaper story as well. It's pretty horrible.
"Tori M." wrote in message
http://www.jadachesney.com/

Tori

--
[...]

When Jeff and I got Married he came with an all glass kitchen table.. the
base and the top where glass... I told him it was going the day I heard he
had it... There was NO WAY I was gonna have that much glass with children..
lol.. but anyway it looks like it is just the outside tables.

Tori