Boots! (common I'm sure)

Old October 20th 08, 09:43 PM posted to misc.kids
Babie

Default Boots! (common I'm sure)

So our baby girl is growing up and acts like a 13 year old (she's 5).

Jarrod and I went on yet another cruise recently. This one to celebrate our
15th anniversary. While we were gone, his mom stayed at our place to take
care of the girl, our dog and 2 cats.

She only lives about 2 hours from us, so we see her probably every other
week. For some reason, she decided to take Alegra on a shopping spree. One
of the things she bought was a pair of boots. Now we've had experience with
"boot issues" before as our niece is almost 9. But we never came up with a
perfect way to deal with it...

Alegra thinks she has to wear her boots with EVERYTHING. Before she was born
I referred to her as my little diva, and she certainly lives up to that
nickname. It isn't a huge deal, but how do you handle clothing issues? We've
been working a lot with the word "compromise" lately, so she's starting to
get it, but she still thinks her boots are the only thing she can wear.

Compared to other things, this is really our only "fight" we have with her.
One way we handle it is making her choose what she wants to wear to school
the night before after her bath. That usually works, but some mornings she
decided the boots are a must *grin*

LES!

Old October 20th 08, 09:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Babie wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with the boots? OK, I'm a real slacker of a mother, but as
long as my children are decently covered in something that fits the
school dress code, it's really not my problem. If their clothing
combinations are really weird, I'm sure some other child will kindly
point it out.

Clisby
Old October 20th 08, 10:30 PM posted to misc.kids
Babie

"Clisby"
What's wrong with the boots? OK, I'm a real slacker of a mother, but as
long as my children are decently covered in something that fits the school
dress code, it's really not my problem. If their clothing combinations
are really weird, I'm sure some other child will kindly point it out.

Clisby

Nothing wrong with them at all. But she has a lot of dresses and skirts...
not to mention shorts etc that she wants to wear them with. It's more of an
annoyance for me than anything major. We laugh about it regularly.
Particularly since I can be really OCD about some things. (I'm a "shoe
collector" so I notice shoes usually before anything else lol)

I just hate the way they look with some of her clothes. For the most part,
she dresses really well. We've never forced her to wear our choices, so
she's just expressing herself. We went through the exact same thing when our
niece was 5, so we expected it.

Luckily she prefers clothes that are age appropriate. All the girls in her
class want to be Hanna Montana for Halloween (I hate her because of her self
pictures she posts on MySpace) but our baby girl chose to be a puppy *smile*
A St Bernard to be exact...

LES!

Old October 20th 08, 11:08 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Babie wrote:

Alegra thinks she has to wear her boots with EVERYTHING. Before she was
born I referred to her as my little diva, and she certainly lives up to
that nickname. It isn't a huge deal, but how do you handle clothing
issues?

Planning ahead, as you're doing, is good. The other
things that works for us is to make it clear that there are
times and places she can choose, and times and places she
can't. If she can't wear boots to school today for some
reason, we'll say no boots at school today, but you can
put them on when you get home if you like (or tomorrow,
or next time it rains, or whatever seems appropriate and
reasonable). And, of course, there's always the strategy
of finding another new pair of shoes that will appeal to
her enough that they can substitute for the boots ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 20th 08, 11:16 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Babie" wrote:

"Clisby"
What's wrong with the boots? OK, I'm a real slacker of a mother, but as
long as my children are decently covered in something that fits the school
dress code, it's really not my problem. If their clothing combinations
are really weird, I'm sure some other child will kindly point it out.

Clisby

Nothing wrong with them at all. But she has a lot of dresses and skirts...
not to mention shorts etc that she wants to wear them with. It's more of an
annoyance for me than anything major. snip

My granddaughters have done something similar. It's not a big deal IMHO and I'd
let her wear them. She'll get tired of them, or they will wear out eventually.

Old October 20th 08, 11:19 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Rosalie B. wrote:
"Babie" wrote:

"Clisby"
What's wrong with the boots? OK, I'm a real slacker of a mother, but as
long as my children are decently covered in something that fits the school
dress code, it's really not my problem. If their clothing combinations
are really weird, I'm sure some other child will kindly point it out.

Clisby

Nothing wrong with them at all. But she has a lot of dresses and skirts...
not to mention shorts etc that she wants to wear them with. It's more of an
annoyance for me than anything major. snip

My granddaughters have done something similar. It's not a big deal IMHO and I'd
let her wear them. She'll get tired of them, or they will wear out eventually.

Yes. The leopard-print boots will not fit forever. Ask me how I know.

Clisby
Old October 21st 08, 12:46 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Babie says...

[...]

The way I dealt with that sort of thing was to let her wear the boots unless
there really is a good reason not to.

And how many time is there really a reason that she can't wear her boots? Even
if others wouldn't.

Banty

Old October 21st 08, 12:48 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Babie says...

"Clisby"
What's wrong with the boots? OK, I'm a real slacker of a mother, but as
long as my children are decently covered in something that fits the school
dress code, it's really not my problem. If their clothing combinations
are really weird, I'm sure some other child will kindly point it out.

Clisby

Nothing wrong with them at all. But she has a lot of dresses and skirts...
not to mention shorts etc that she wants to wear them with. It's more of an
annoyance for me than anything major. We laugh about it regularly.
Particularly since I can be really OCD about some things. (I'm a "shoe
collector" so I notice shoes usually before anything else lol)

One really important thing about parenthood (and life, for that matter) is
realizing which problems are your problems and which problems are others'
problems.

This one is your problem and not your little girl's problem. So dont' try to
make her fix it.

Banty

Old October 21st 08, 02:54 PM posted to misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

"Babie" wrote in message
Alegra thinks she has to wear her boots with EVERYTHING. Before she was
born I referred to her as my little diva, and she certainly lives up to
that nickname. It isn't a huge deal, but how do you handle clothing
issues? We've been working a lot with the word "compromise" lately, so
she's starting to get it, but she still thinks her boots are the only
thing she can wear.

2 of my 3 daughters went through the boot phase. I let them wear them as
much as they wanted. Even in the summer with shorts, there were those boots
It was never a big deal to me if the boots did not go with the clothes.
At one point, my youngest was wearing a tiara and her boots EVERYWHERE we
went. This was over xmas so all the pics from our many family gatherings
shows her in that tiara and the pink boots. I allow it because it's just not
a battle for me.
Also I homeschool, so I am not quite so worried about appearance in the
smaller children as others seem to be.
Marie

Old October 21st 08, 02:56 PM posted to misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

"Clisby" wrote in message
Yes. The leopard-print boots will not fit forever. Ask me how I know.

Oh but don't they TRY! I finally made one of mine give up a pair of boots
because I know they were way too small, I was scared it was going to ruin
her developing feet.
Marie