Question about lochia

Old October 19th 03, 09:41 AM
Judy King

Default Question about lochia

Hello, just a quick question. My lochia stopped completely at about ten days
post partum. The a few days later it started up again as heavy as a period.
It bleeds for a few hours then stops. The weird thing is while I bleed I
feel really low and weepy, cry most of the time for no reason and have a
crampy tummy, all like a period. I'm guessing it's hormonal. Has anyone else
experienced this?

Judy

Old October 19th 03, 02:44 PM
Belphoebe

"Judy King" wrote in message
Hello, just a quick question. My lochia stopped completely at about ten

days
post partum. The a few days later it started up again as heavy as a

period.
It bleeds for a few hours then stops. The weird thing is while I bleed I
feel really low and weepy, cry most of the time for no reason and have a
crampy tummy, all like a period. I'm guessing it's hormonal. Has anyone

else
experienced this?

Judy, I think it's normal for the lochia to sort of come and go like that.
My understanding is that when it gets heavier like that, it's a sign that
you're overdoing and need to slow down a bit and take it easy. And the
weepiness feels like normal hormonal stuff, yes.

Belphoebe

Old October 19th 03, 03:50 PM
iphigenia

Judy King wrote:
Hello, just a quick question. My lochia stopped completely at about
ten days post partum. The a few days later it started up again as
heavy as a period. It bleeds for a few hours then stops. The weird
thing is while I bleed I feel really low and weepy, cry most of the
time for no reason and have a crampy tummy, all like a period. I'm
guessing it's hormonal. Has anyone else experienced this?

Lochia comes and goes. There's a lot of uterine lining that has to be shed,
and there's a big scab inside the uterus where the placenta was attached. If
you overdo, sometimes the scab will get pulled and you'll get bright red
blood.

The cramping is because your uterus is still contracting back into shape and
the cramps are pushing the lining out - that's why the cramping is
accompanied by lochia.

The weepiness is part of your body's hormone adjustment - you've been on
hormonal overdrive all during pregnancy, and suddenly you're in hormonal
stasis, more or less, except for prolactin.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 19th 03, 10:07 PM
Judy King

"Belphoebe" wrote in message
news

"Judy King" wrote in message
Hello, just a quick question. My lochia stopped completely at about ten

days
post partum. The a few days later it started up again as heavy as a

period.
It bleeds for a few hours then stops. The weird thing is while I bleed I
feel really low and weepy, cry most of the time for no reason and have a
crampy tummy, all like a period. I'm guessing it's hormonal. Has anyone

else
experienced this?

Judy, I think it's normal for the lochia to sort of come and go like that.
My understanding is that when it gets heavier like that, it's a sign that
you're overdoing and need to slow down a bit and take it easy. And the
weepiness feels like normal hormonal stuff, yes.

Belphoebe

Thanks. I guess I thought that since they talk about the "day four blues"
that by day 14 I would be back to normal, HA! I had PND with my first so am
super vigilant and slightly unsure about what is normal :-)

Thanks for the reassurance.

JUdy

A question about pads (lochia) Sophie Pregnancy 38 July 6th 04 03:14 AM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM