Ann Landers advice for NIP

Old October 18th 03, 04:51 PM
Mvbff778

Default Ann Landers advice for NIP

I was reading Ann Landers yesterday and they had a lady write in because NIP
upset her. Here is the column....

Dear Annie: I recently attended a baby shower for my niece, who had a baby
last month. There were 25 women in attendance, ranging in age from 6 to 89.
While my niece was in Lamaze classes, she met several ladies, five of whom
attended the shower with their newborns. During the shower, these women all
exposed their breasts and nursed their babies. They didn't bother to use
anything to cover themselves up. When my niece's new baby began to cry, she,
too, nursed him in front of everyone.
Am I being too old-fashioned to think these ladies should cover themselves? For
some of us, it was quite uncomfortable to watch. -- Denver Aunt

Dear Aunt: We're all for nursing babies, but it is rude to make one's guests
uncomfortable. These new mothers probably assumed it was OK to be uncovered
since all the guests were female. Nonetheless, babies generally don't mind a
light blanket while nursing, and it would have been considerate for these women
to acknowledge that not all the party guests were keen on observing the
process.

OK so her advice has me steaming. I will calm down a bit and then write her or
whoever took her place a letter. Just curious to what you guys think of this
advice? The bright spot for me is all these new mothers are Bfing!
Old October 18th 03, 05:36 PM
Jenn

In article , Mvbff778
writes
[...]

Basically I'd now say, in my home I have the right to be comfortable and
leaving the room to nurse is a PITA. In someone else's home, the host's
comfort is paramount, but in my own home me and a new-born come first.
--
Jenn
UK
Old October 18th 03, 07:27 PM
Anne Rogers

Dear Aunt: We're all for nursing babies, but it is rude to make one's guests
uncomfortable. These new mothers probably assumed it was OK to be uncovered
since all the guests were female. Nonetheless, babies generally don't mind a
light blanket while nursing, and it would have been considerate for these women
to acknowledge that not all the party guests were keen on observing the
process.

OK so her advice has me steaming. I will calm down a bit and then write her or
whoever took her place a letter. Just curious to what you guys think of this
advice? The bright spot for me is all these new mothers are Bfing!

I NEVER use anything to cover up, what would it cover up? I might expose a
bit of nipple whilst getting him on, but I wouldn't have enough hands to
make sure the blanket didn't fall off and show even more, better to be
discrete with items I can control, i.e. me, my clothes and the baby. Once
he's on, why on earth would you need a blanket to cover up, baby and
clothes cover everything except occasionally a bit of belly. We just had a
really hot summer, it was hot enough wearing a skimpy top and baby just
wore a body suit, a blanket would have been stupidity. Perhaps I just live
in a very permissive place, there is nowhere I wouldn't breastfeed, I try
not to sit too near the front in church but that's about the only
consession I make. This reply makes me mad too, particularly when you
think how little use a blanket would be anyway, with most styles of
clothes. Perhaps you could send pictures of you getting latched on and
then feeding illustrating that you don't show anything.

Old October 18th 03, 09:59 PM
Sue

I thought Ann Landers retired? I pretty sure she did here in Michigan
because they don't run her column anymore. So the article is probably pretty
old.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 18th 03, 10:03 PM
Sue

She didn't retire, she died in 2002.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 19th 03, 12:34 AM
Vicki S

"Sue" wrote:
She didn't retire, she died in 2002.

However, her column is still produced - I believe the advice columnists
are led by her daughter - and the new name is "Annie's Mailbox". That
letter was addressed to "Dear Annie", so I believe it is a new one.

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995
Old October 19th 03, 01:25 AM
Sue

Ah okay. I didn't know that. I miss her column.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)