Midwifery Today abomination - CHIROPRACTIC censorship too...

Old November 27th 04, 11:56 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Midwifery Today abomination - CHIROPRACTIC censorship too...

PREGNANT WOMEN: OBs are knowingly closing birth canals up to 30% and it is
easy for you to allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%. See
below.

MIDWIFERY TODAY ABOMINATION

Midwifery Today editor Jan Tritten promotes closing the birth canal up to
30% and...

Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney promotes the obstetric practice of KEEPING
the birth canal closed when the baby gets stuck. See below.

It's most bizarre. MIDWIFERY EMERGENCY! (Jan, see the end of this post.)

IT IS ESTABLISHED OBSTETRIC TEACHING...

"...that a narrow pelvic outlet
predisposes to a difficult vaginal delivery..."
--Ass-Ärztin Dr. Andrea Froschauer-Frudinger et al. [Br J Obstet Gynaecol
2002;109(11):1207-12]

YET...

In the 90s, Midwife Jan Tritten, self-described "Mother of Midwifery Today,"
cancelled a full-length article on the pelvic-outlet-closing behavior of OBs
then PROMOTED pelvic-outlet-closing (the semisitting position) as a
"Midwifery Trick of the Trade."

Recently, Jan published a CNMwife who indicates that Israeli midwives are
using the LITHOTOMY version of this grisly "Midwifery Trick of the Trade":

"Midwifery in Israel...[80% of births are] attended by midwives. Midwives
routinely...deliver in lithotomy position..."
--Judy Slome Cohain, CNM. [Midwifery Today Int Midwife. 2004
Autumn;(71):50-1. PubMed abstract]

Lithotomy closes the birth canal up to 30% just like semisitting.

TRANSLATION: Israeli midwives routinely close birth canals up to 30%.

Earth to Jan: "MIDWIVES HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO BE PROTECTORS OF NORMAL
BIRTH..."
--Ina May Gaskin, Elizabeth Davis and Diane Holzer, speakers at an upcoming
Midwifery Today conference...
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/confer...05/program.asp (emphasis
added)

INA MAY GASKIN used to - may still - close birth canals up to 30% by using
semisitting. She told me years ago that she agreed with Williams Obstetrics
co-author Norman Gant, MD who told me "Most women don't need the extra
room." WHAT ABOUT THE BABIES, I asked. Ina May's breech video, I'm told,
shows the woman on her sacrum - but regardless - standard breech protocol in
medical texts is to keep the woman on her sacrum. Surely these women need
the "extra" room!

For further info about Williams Obstetrics criminal negligence (and
discussion of a key change in McRoberts maneuver)...

See Make birth better: Dan Rather, before you leave CBS...

PREGNANT WOMEN: To allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%,
simply roll onto your side as you push your baby out.

BEWARE THOUGH: Some MDs and CNMwives will let women "try" alternative
delivery positions but will roll them back into lithotomy (close the birth
canal up to 30%) for the actual delivery.

AND DON'T FORGET: It is standard obstetric practice to KEEP the birth canal
closed when babies are stuck and forceps and vacuums are used.

Back in June 2004, I notified the above quoted Judy Slome Cohain, CNM of the
grisly biomechanics of lithotomy delivery.

Judy called me a liar and pretended I did not give any references from the
medical literature.

She wrote:

"As a professional midwife, I am quite used to doctors saying the most
incredible lies in the hope that if
they repeat them often enough, people will believe them. Actually it works.
Works for hamas terrorists also, by the way. There is not a rational
sentence that I can point to. There is not a single reference from the
medical literature to back up the statements either."

Judy ignored my references to the medical literature...

I quoted Judy's post in, "Will Playboy and Penthouse report OB vagina
fraud?"
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2606

SEMISITTING CLOSES BIRTH CANAL WITH MORE FORCE...

Years ago I notified Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney that semisitting
closes the birth canal up to 30%.

Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney is still (in 2004) ignoring the simple
biomechanics - still encouraging CNMwives to encourage semisitting/closing
the birth canal, as in,

"Midwives...encourage...semisitting."
--Varney's Midwifery. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett. 4th ed. 2004:839

NOTE: Grantley Dick-Read, MD (maybe he was an MB?) promoted semisitting
too...

The Nov. 5, 1955 issue of the British Medical Journal carries a letter
from Dick-Read promoting semisitting delivery over the left lateral
position - claiming the left lateral position and "exaggerated
lithotomy" were "the result of short-sighted teaching of an unnatural
position."

To make his point, Dick-Read invoked observations of
"coloured races" living in Africa, made by "100 collaborators, including
Government medical and administrative officers, missionaries, paramount
chiefs, and aged settlers who appreciated the novelty of this
investigation."

Dick-Read also invoked various ancients - including Aristotle who he
quoted ("The woman should lie on her back...between lying and
sitting...") and Soranus of Ephesus and Shipral and Puah "the Egyptian
midwives to the Israelites."

Dick-Read continued his attack on the lateral position by noting proudly
that "the left lateral position was used and discarded by the great
American obstetrician, Joseph de Lee, who stated his reasons for
reverting to the dorsal position..." (de Lee was the fine fellow who
established episiotomy as a routine obstetric procedure.)

Dick-Read concluded:

"My investigations throughout the past few years
show that the large majority of peoples of the world of all colours
employ for delivery the squatting attitude, with the body weight take
either on the feet, knees, buttocks, or lower back...Surely this galaxy
of opinion favouring the dorsal attitude thoughout the ages must have
some foundation of good sense and purpose. There is ample evidence of
this from obstetricians, midwives, and the women and mothers of our time
who have experienced both methods adequately to enable them to arrive at
a balanced conclusion..." [Dick-Read G. Position for delivery (letter).
British Medical Journal (Nov5)1955:1142-3]

Dick-Read ignored simple biomechanics published in the medical literature as
he promoted closing the birth canal.

Why would SURGEONS (obstetricians) ignore the medical literature and close
birth canals?

Obstetric surgeons are CAUSING cephalopelvic disproportion then performing
surgeries/c-sections BEcause of cephalopelvic disproportion.

(No, I am not suggesting that allowing the birth canal to open maximally
will prevent all c-sections - just that it is preposterous - an obvious
felony.)

I think I read in a recent issue of Midwifery Today E-news that Pauline
Scott (Jean Sutton's co-author) recommends the recently republished
Dick-Read's book? Someone correct me if I am wrong. Maybe it was Janet
Balaskas recommending it?

YALE CNMwifery PROF. RECOMMENDS **KEEPING** BIRTH CANAL CLOSED WHEN BABY
GETS STUCK...

Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney ignored my pleas years ago...

She still recommends that when the baby gets stuck, the birth canal should
be KEPT closed...

"In the event of...shoulder dystocia...the woman should be
in a lithotomy position..." (p. 839)

Lithotomy CLOSES the birth canal - up to 30%.

MASSIVE OBSTETRIC SPINAL MANIPULATION FELONY

OBs routinely push VIOLENTLY (with oxytocin/Cytotec) - and pull gruesomely
(with hands, forceps and vacuums) - with birth canals senselessly closed up
to 30% (with women semisitting or dorsal).

Sometimes OBs pull so hard they rip spinal nerves out of tiny spinal cords.

Some babies die, some get paralyzed - most "only" have their spines
gruesomely wrenched.

ALL spinal manipulation is gruesome with the birth canal closed.

NOTE: This spinal manipulation felony is NOT the only mass felony that OBs
are committing. OBs are also temporarily asphyxiating babies to rob massive
amounts of blood from them.

American MDs are abusing
their most frequent surgery - temporarily asphyxiating babies by IMMEDIATELY
clamping/cutting umbilical cords to rob massive amounts of blood from
babies. (My thanks to Donna Young for calling my attention to this OB
felony - and to Kelly Moscarello for calling my attention back to it when
her little Bella suffered cerebral palsy after an unthinking paramedic aped
his MD handlers and immediately clamped the cord of a baby who was not yet
breathing.)

Here is ACOG Practice Bulletin B138 (re-affirmed Feb 2002):

"...Immediately after delivery of the neonate, a segment of umbilical cord
should be doubly clamped, divided, and placed on the delivery table pending
assessment of the five minute Apgar score."
--1991 (re-affirmed Feb 2002) ACOG Committee opinion: Bulletin 138 - April
1994 (replaces #91, February 1991)
From quotes compiled mainly by Eileen Simon from the Harvard Medical School
Libraryhttp://www.cordclamping.com/History.htm

Here is commentary by George Malcolm Morley, MB ChB FACOG:

"ACOG's routine treatment (B138) of these depressed neonates is immediate
cord clamping to obtain cord blood pH studies. The child's only functioning
source of oxygen - the placenta - is amputated together with 30% to 50+% of
its natural blood volume. Total asphyxia is imposed until the lungs
function, and the depressed (asphyxiated, hypovolemic) child starts its
extra-uterine life in hypovolemic shock...

"B138 was first published in 1993. Every cesarean section baby, every
depressed child, every premie, and every child born with a neonatal team in
the delivery room has its cord clamped immediately to facilitate the
panicked rush to the resuscitation table. The current epidemic of immediate
cord clamping coincides with an epidemic of autism.

"For the trial lawyers, it is essential that the 'true genesis' of cerebral
palsy remains unknown, because that 'true genesis' (B.138) is a standard of
medico-legal care..."
http://www.cordclamping.com/acog-cp.htm

George Morley, the retired OB quoted above - as valiant as he is - does not
want to see child protection laws used to stop the mass baby asphyxiation he
is exposing.

George and I disagree on this point...

Why would we NOT use laws designed to protect children - to protect
children?

See Babies gasping: Michigan sheriffs to do "child abuse raid" on hospitals?

PREGNANT WOMEN: Do not let the OB or CNMwife immediately clamp your baby's
umbilical cord. The cord should not be clamped until the baby is breathing
and pink and not in need of resuscitation.

JAN TRITTEN PROMOTED CLOSING THE BIRTH CANAL UP TO 30% AT DELIVERY

NOW JAN SAYS HER SOUL IS "FLOODED WITH GRIEF"...

But Jan isn't grieving because she promoted closing the birth canal...

She writes...

"My soul is flooded with grief. My frustration overwhelms me. I cry for
countless mothers and babies-for the births that could be..."
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...inlabor_ed.asp

Jan, who waged a censorship war against "motherbaby" now blames DRUGS for
"this war" that is waged against "motherbaby," as in,

"Drugs in labor are the core of this destruction. It is hard to change
something that makes so much money. We have come to the point in childbirth
that almost no one escapes this war that is waged against motherbaby. Nearly
everyone succumbs to some kind of drugs in labor, whether through induction,
pain relief or.."
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...inlabor_ed.asp

Jan is forgetting that semisitting and lithotomy deliveries increase the use
of drugs.

Semisitting MECHANICALLY OBSTRUCTS labor - torques sacroiliac joints exactly
the opposite direction they are supposed to go at birth - and therefore
likely also NEUROLOGICALLY inhibits labor - thereby increasing the use of
DRUGS...

Some of the unnecessary drugs used at birth are used during unnecessary
birth SURGERIES...

SPEAKING OF UNNECESSARY BIRTH SURGERIES...

OBs are slicing vaginas (episiotomy) and abdomens (c-sections) routinely -
surgically/fraudulently inferring they are doing/have done everything
possible to open birth canals - even as they close birth canals up to 30%...

And midwives are going along with the gag...

Now, to be sure, allowing the birth canal to open maximally is not going to
solve all birth problems - but it will likely solve SOME birth problems -
prevent SOME deaths and paralyses...

"BIRTH SEEMS DOOMED"...

Jan who recommended closing the birth canal up to 30% says "birth seems
doomed"...

She writes of her "anger and frustration":

"I pondered my anger and frustration, sharing it with my dear midwife friend
Penni Harmon, who usually helps me pull my head out of the negative places.
This time she agrees with me. Birth seems doomed..."

Jan is asking for money to further her "midwifery" cause - in "the media"...

"If you have any connection to media or money that could help us with this
solution, please e-mail me at or call me at
1-800-743-0974."

Jan *is* "media" - midwifery media at least.

One of Jan's (former?) Midwifery Today employees - former doula Jennifer
Rosenberg ("Jenrose") - recently told me: "Jan is on your side."

I don't think Jan is on my side - not as long as she promotes closing the
birth canal/semisitting (and now apparently lithotomy too)...

Jan, please do come to my side - tell women that you wrongly promoted
closing birth canals.

Do so today - call a press conference - issue a press release...

MANA (Midwives Alliance of North America)

ACNM (American College of Nurse Midwives)

Jan, I note that you are bringing the presidents of MANA and ACNM together
at your upcoming (March 17-23, 2005) Midwifery Today conference in Eugene,
Oregon, as in,

"We are...taking this time to meet with the Presidents of MANA and ACNM to
plan how we can all work together to further midwifery in its calling of
serving birthing women....love, jan
Mother of Midwifery Today..."|
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/conferences/eugene2005/

Jan, OBs and midwives are closing birth canals up to 30% NOW...

The "motherbaby" is suffering NOW - sometimes dying - and MDs and midwives
are lying...

Get on the phone and bring ACNM and MANA together NOW (finally).

Try to stop the ongoing grisly (sometimes fatal) obstetric/midwifery
travesty BEFORE your upcoming (March 17-23, 2005) Midwifery Today conference
in Eugene, Oregon...

Thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS1 My thanks to the new mother whose baby was paralyzed at birth and who
gave me a heads-up on Jan's upcoming (March 17-23, 2005) Eugene Midwifery
Today conference. This mother had her birth canal closed up to 30% by a
midwife and was told that her little boy was paralyzed because her pelvis
was too small. KEY POINT: There is no guarantee that allowing the birth
canal to open maximally will prevent all cases of birth paralysis - but then
again DID I MENTION - the midwife closed her birth canal up to 30% then said
her pelvis was too small? Midwives (MANA and ACNM) need to come together to
end the ongoing birth travesty - at least in the midwifery profession.
Hopefully they will hold a press conference immediately. I am thinking that
had Jan published my article, the mother with the paralyzed baby might not
have had her midwife close her birth canal up to 30% - and might not have
had a paralyzed baby. Regardless - WHY are midwives and OBs closing birth
canals up to 30% - and keeping them closed when babies get stuck?

PS2 New Zealand Midwife Jean Sutton just wrote me: "If you can think of a
politically correct way of saying this, let me know---I've been trying for
years to get people to understand that lying on
the back is okay if things are going in, but [kneeling] is the only
sensible way for things to come out."

Jean: When a baby is stuck and the birth canal is being closed up to 30% -
I don't think one should worry about being "politically correct"...

Jan's censorship, mentioned above, was a form of psychological violence, as
in,

"[Withholding] information by restricting scholarly exchange...[is a form
of]...psychological violence."
--Ralph Crawshaw, MD. Academic sanction: targeting South African science.
JAMA 1989;262(11):1499-1503

Jan's promotion of semisitting as a "Midwifery Trick of the Trade" - as well
as other midwives promoting semisitting - is a form of psychological
violence that can lead to physical violence that paralyzes and kills babies.

Why not protest Jan's bizarre censorship behavior - her Midwifery Today
abomination - actually promoting closing the birth canal up to 30% after
censoring me? (Most recently, Jan published CNMwife Judy's lithotomy version
of the same "Midwifery Trick of the Trade." See above. All I saw was the
PubMed abstract. I would LOVE to hear that Jan made an editorial note that
lithotomy closes the birth canal up to 30%.)

It would be politically correct to remain silent only if people already born
were the only ones who count.

I believe 100% of babies would want midwives VIGOROUSLY protesting the
grisly birth habit of obstetricians and some midwives.

Can it be that midwifery leaders are censoring - and promoting
birth-canal-closing delivery positions - because they fear legal
repercussions for such obviously criminal negligence?

The inhibitory/stonewalling nature of the spectre of punishment for criminal
negligence is the reason I have been in favor of pardons in advance for MDs.

As medical students, MDs are TRAINED to perform felonies - and not just the
birth-canal-closing felony.

See SLAPP: How MDs get away with grisly felonies: Censor Bob Dubin, DC and
the Schroeder-SLAPP-censored chirolist
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2959

I am also in favor of pardons in advance for midwives - but neither midwives
nor MDs should require pardons in advance before helping babies.

Earth to Jan: "MIDWIVES HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO BE PROTECTORS OF NORMAL
BIRTH..."
--Ina May Gaskin, Elizabeth Davis and Diane Holzer, speakers at an upcoming
Midwifery Today conference...
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/confer...05/program.asp (emphasis
added)

Please help stop OBs and midwives from closing birth canals up to 30% and
keeping birth canals closed when babies get stuck.

That woman with a paralyzed child really did say that the midwife closed her
birth canal up to 30% then told her her baby was paralyzed because her
pelvis was to small.

After your censorship and semisitting promotion...

It's time for a joint MANA/ACNM press conference.

Midwives and OBs are closing birth canals up to 30% right NOW.

They are KEEPING birth canals closed when babies get stuck.

MIDWIFERY EMERGENCY!

Again, thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS Note to Chiro Censor Bob Dubin, DC: This is yet another post for your
censorship enjoyment - or for posting to your Schroeder-SLAPP-censored
chirolist - as you choose...

You recently wrote of the birth canal closing delivery positions:

"Unfortunately, there is nothing that we can do about it, except
counsel our patients to use midwives and to avoid OBs for their deliveries."

As you can see Censor Bob, prominent midwives are promoting closing birth
canals.

Then again, I suspect most homebirth midwives are not...

Years ago, when the California Board of Chiropractic Examiners voted to make
it illegal ("unprofessional conduct") for a DC to refer to unlicensed
persons - I pointed out to the Board that OBs were closing birth canals and
most homebirth midwives (then unlicensed) were not.

I said that the Board had no right to make it illegal for a DC to refer to
practitioners who do not close birth canals.

The Board passed its resolution.

Further regarding your "nothing we can do about it sentiment"...

The CCA Journal noted in 1986 that if DCs so much as SUSPECT
child abuse they must report...

"Penal Code Section 11172(b) states, in part: 'Any [person required to
report] who fails to report an instance of child abuse which he or she
knows to exist or reasonably should know to exist...is guilty of a
misdemeanor and is punishable by confinement in jail for a term not to
exceed six months or by a fine not more than one thousand dollars
($1000) or both...A person required to report suspected abuse who fails
to do so may be held liable in civil damages for any subsequent injury
to the child [Landeros v. Flood 1976]. A conviction [for failure to
report] may result in licensure discipline for unprofessional
conduct..." [DCs required to report child abuse. CCAJ, May 1986, p. 26]

Censor Bob, with birth canals closed up to 30%, OBs are sometimes pulling so
hard they are ripping spinal nerves out of tiny spinal cords - do you
SUSPECT abuse in such cases?

I do.

I myself suspect more child abuse PROMOTION when birth trauma attorneys
remain silent and say they can't bring this matter to a jury's attention
without an obstetric expert willing to testify.

It's MASS spinal manipulation child abuse, Censor Bob.

Your ongoing Schroeder-SLAPP-censorship is helping to prevent the
chiropractic profession from saving tiny lives and tiny limbs and PREVENTING
more putative vertebral subluxations than DCs will ever be able to charge to
adjust by hand.

Censor Bob, I will (as usual) cc this to the usual law enforcement
suspects - Oregon Attorney General Hardy Myers and Disneyland DA Tony
Rackauckas.

Again, Censor Bob, I'm sending this to you for your possible censorship
enjoyment - hoping though that you'll start demonstrating that you are no
longer Schroeder-SLAPP-censoring chirolist.

Once I am confident that you will no longer censor, I will be glad to
re-subscribe - and stop calling you Censor Bob.

Sincerely,

Your friend,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS Again, Jan:

Old November 30th 04, 09:44 AM
Jen Rose

In the 90s, Midwife Jan Tritten, self-described "Mother of Midwifery Today,"
cancelled a full-length article on the pelvic-outlet-closing behavior of OBs
then PROMOTED pelvic-outlet-closing (the semisitting position) as a
"Midwifery Trick of the Trade."

Has it ever occured to you, Todd, that she might have cancelled an
article because the tone wasn't appropriate or the author wasn't
cooperative, or the writing wasn't up to professional quality? That
maybe it wasn't trying to "censor" the idea, but a justified editorial
decision that an article was not written appropriately for MT's
audience?

Have you read how many the articles in Midwifery Today promote *any
other* position other than lithotomy for birth? How many of them
specifically talk about how to work in other positions?

Do you realize that whenever we were given a choice between photos
that showed the mother lying down and photos that showed her in any
other position, we used the "any other position" photos? Sometimes
there were not other good choices. But we rejected more than one photo
album for that reason.

That on several occasions we insisted that artwork be redrawn so the
"assumed" position was not back-lying/semisit?

That the vast majority of hundreds of hours I've spent at Midwifery
Today conference classes were spent with people saying, "Lithotomy and
semisitting close the pelvis" whenever the topic came up?

That there *are* times when back-lying positions and semisit positions
end up being chosen by the mother despite encouragement by midwives,
doulas, etc. to find other positions? I've seen it happen myself in a
birth.

When you spend all your time ranting at people, you give them very
little incentive to listen to you, work with you, or publish your
material.

Yours may qualify as one of the most unprofessional responses to a
publication rejection that I've seen--and one that demonstrates with
every word that the rejection was justified.

And no, I wasn't part of that decision (although quite honestly, I
understand it completely) and no, I'm no longer a Midwifery Today
employee.

And yes, I snipped the rest of it--you've said it all before.
Jenrose