Am I feeding right?

Old March 7th 04, 05:07 AM
Jen

Default Am I feeding right?

(HollyLewis) wrote in
:

In fact, do babies need cereal in order to get enough iron? I just
wonder can dd get iron from other place, such as liver? But I am
hesitated to give her liver cuz my Dr. asked me not to eat any liver
during my pregnancy. Something about affect the infant's eyes
development.

Of course they don't need cereal. They can get iron the same way you
do, from meats, dark green veggies, etc. (Or from a liquid vitamin
supplement, which her doctor may prescribe if her blood iron levels
prove low at her 12-month checkup.) But cereal can be more convenient
(it's certainly easier to prepare, since you don't need to do any
cooking) and works well if the baby dislikes most foods that naturally
contain iron.

That's great!! Tell you what, I have tried a weird food for my dd today.
As I heard there is minigo with cereal (which I never see that), I try to
mix cereal with her favorite -- Yogurt. It works. Well.. although she
doesn't eat the whole bowl and I only add 2 tbsp or less cereal but
better than nothing. =)

If I want to add some
bm into her food (if she eats cereal) or i will try to make some
muffin with bm. When should I pump my milk? Cuz my breasts are no
longer as full as dd 3 mos old, and I haven't had engorged for a long
time.(Even back then, I only able to pump in the early morning, or
while feeding her, 4oz was the maximum). However, now I can't pump
while feeing her, cuz she will grab the pump.

Jen

You can pump whenever it's least inconvenient, but you'll get the most
milk for your efforts if you pump first thing in the morning (before
she wakes up). It will probably also work best if you develop a
routine of pumping at about the same time of day, every day -- your
body will get used to the extra demand at that time. Don't worry
about it if pumping turns out to be really difficult, though, because
even those of us who do a lot of pumping often start to have a hard
time with it when the baby is around 9 months old. Your daughter is
old enough that it's no problem to just use water or yogurt with
cereal, and she can have muffins made with cows' milk. Just don't
give her straight cows' milk to drink until after she's a year old.

So you think yogurt or chesse for her may good enough even though I don't
put bm into her regular meals? I am surprised dd can have something with
cows' milk, such as muffin. I thought she can't touch anything contains
cows' milk until one. That's great! However, she can't eat egg. How can I
make muffin or waffle without eggs? I have heard some babies who are
around the same age have waffle or even pancake. Do you know the trick?

Thanks again, Holly. I do love to learn from you. You are so helpful and
supportive. A BIG thank you!! \(^0^)/

Jen

Old March 7th 04, 05:13 AM
Jen

Phoebe & Allyson wrote in
:

Jen wrote:
I have tried to finely chop the chicken yesterday and add some apple
sauce on it; however, after 2 spoonful, she shout her mouth again.

Caterpillar, who is also 9 months old, disdains the spoon. Spoons are
for blowing food-bubbles with, and yanking out of Mom's hand, and
banging on cats. Food on a spoon isn't food; it's a toy.

She'll eat anything she can feed herself, but since she has no pincer
grip, it has to be long enough to stick out of both sides of her fist.
She'll also eat stuff we put in her mouth with our fingers. So she
gets sweet potato fries and celery for self-feeding, and Rice Chex and
other smaller stuff put in by us. Today she ate bits of duck - gum,
gum, swallow, swallow, open for more.

But she doesn't eat any appreciable quantity of solids, so that might
not help you much.

Phoebe

Yeah.. I totally able to imagine how does Caterpillar yanking out your
hand, cuz dd did the exactly same thing.
It is so interesting that dd never wants to feed herself with macaroni with
cheese. I think she knows she doesn't have the skill to put a macaroni into
her mouth everytime. So she'd rather open mouth and go toward to my hand.
It is so excited that Caterpillar tried duck and she loves it. But ...
how/where can you buy some duck meat instead of the whole duck? I don't
really know how to handle a whole duck.
Old March 7th 04, 06:41 AM
HollyLewis

I am surprised dd can have something with
cows' milk, such as muffin. I thought she can't touch anything contains
cows' milk until one. That's great!

Unless she shows signs of a severe dairy intolerance or allergy, it's perfectly
all right for her to have cooked foods that *contain* milk. And since she's
done fine with regular formula and loves yogurt, you know she doesn't have a
huge problem with dairy. You just don't want her to drink straight cows' milk
yet because there's too much risk that it will replace breastmilk in her diet,
and cows' milk doesn't have all the nutrients she needs like breastmilk does.

However, she can't eat egg. How can I
make muffin or waffle without eggs? I have heard some babies who are
around the same age have waffle or even pancake. Do you know the trick?

How do you know she can't eat egg? Has she reacted badly to egg-containing
foods before? Or have you just not introduced them yet?

Again, in most cases, babies can tolerate eggs used in baked goods long before
they do plain eggs. Also, babies who may have an allergic reaction to whole
eggs often *can* eat egg yolk. The usual recommendation is to introduce yolks
after 9 months, whole eggs after 12. Most pancakes and the like can be made
with the yolk only, if you wish.

The other babies you know probably just have parents who aren't as cautious.
:-) Really, in the majority of cases, this doesn't cause any problems, even
though of course it *could*.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old March 7th 04, 11:47 PM
Phoebe Roberts, EA

Jen wrote:

how/where can you buy some duck meat instead of the whole duck? I don't
really know how to handle a whole duck.

We got ours at a Chinese restaurant. We were having dim sum, and she looked so
pathetic that I picked the duck (roasted, with some sort of sauce, but what she
got were shreds of mostly plain meat) as the safest option and told her Ah-mah
that it was OK to give her some.

I think cooked duck would freeze well, so the big portion you'll get wouldn't
all have to be eaten.

Phoebe

Old March 10th 04, 10:03 PM
H Schinske

However, she can't eat egg. How can I
make muffin or waffle without eggs? I have heard some babies who are
around the same age have waffle or even pancake. Do you know the trick?

A good substitute for eggs in things like pancakes and muffins is soy flour
(assuming she is okay with soy). A tablespoon of soy flour plus a tablespoon of
water substitutes for one egg. It helps hold the other ingredients together,
but it doesn't help make them light the way eggs do -- you might want to use a
little extra baking powder. You don't have to mix the two before adding -- just
add the soy flour to the dry ingredients and the extra tablespoon of water to
the wet ones.

--Helen