Is it possible to bf and NOT cosleep?

Old March 6th 04, 11:20 PM
Deirdre

Default Is it possible to bf and NOT cosleep?

ted wrote:
Did any of your bfed babies sleep in a crib/away from you at nights?
How did you manage that?

Thanks.

We've got an Arm's Reach co-sleeper next to our bed. It's a waterbed, so
co-sleeping is out. When he wakes, I strap on the nursing pillow, pick him
up & he eats until he drops off again. Often we both fall asleep (me
sitting up) but I inevitably wake and put him back in the bassinet. When
he's ready for a crib, I suspect we'll keep it in our bedroom for a while...

--
Deirdre, in the company of Baby Beastie

Old March 8th 04, 12:36 AM

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:09:46 -0600, "Nikki" wrote:

ted wrote:
Did any of your bfed babies sleep in a crib/away from you at nights?
How did you manage that?

I wasn't able to coordinate feeding in bed until DD was nearly 12
months and she mostly slept in a separate bed so I would get up and go
to her, feed - put her back to bed . Also DD would feed for at least
an hour a time so even once I worked out feeding in bed I was still
awake for that time.

This is purely anecdotal but IRL the mom/baby pairs that slept seperate were
all sleeping through the night by 18mos. Night feeds were down to one by a
year and generally much sooner. I know one other person IRL that breastfed
and co-slept and both her kids are like mine. Nurse all night long well
past a year ;-)

Damn I wish that was the case , DD was still night feeding 2/4 times
at 18 months. This was however when DH took over the night time care
of DD, she didn't however sleep through for another 2 months (and
currently - another 2 months later - is waking a few times overnight
again).

Di
Old March 8th 04, 04:26 AM
Irene

"Nikki" wrote in message ...
ted wrote:
Did any of your bfed babies sleep in a crib/away from you at nights?
How did you manage that?

Yep - I never intended to co-sleep, because I didn't think I'd sleep
very well that way (and I was right). We had the pack-n-play in our
room for a few months, and then moved him into the crib. Sometimes,
mainly when he was sick or teething, I'd sleep with him in the guest
room, because he was just waking way too many times, and that way,
even if I wasn't getting a lot of sleep, I was at least horizontal!
Otherwise, I just bf'ed him in the glider in his room and put him back
in the crib.

This is purely anecdotal but IRL the mom/baby pairs that slept seperate were
all sleeping through the night by 18mos. Night feeds were down to one by a
year and generally much sooner. I know one other person IRL that breastfed
and co-slept and both her kids are like mine. Nurse all night long well
past a year ;-)

So anything we say here won't change your IRL stats, will it? ;-) I
only rarely co-slept with Thomas, and he didn't start consistently
sleeping through the night until he was 2 and a few months. After he
moved to his "big boy bed," actually.

Irene
Old March 8th 04, 05:02 AM
Nikki

Irene wrote:

So anything we say here won't change your IRL stats, will it? ;-)

Nope :-)

only rarely co-slept with Thomas, and he didn't start consistently
sleeping through the night until he was 2 and a few months. After he
moved to his "big boy bed," actually.

Well all kinds of people are chiming in with similar responses!! I'm
surprised actually. I'm glad I know, even though not glad you all had to
live through it to prove it to me, lol.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 8th 04, 03:02 PM
Irene

"Nikki" wrote in message ...
Irene wrote:

only rarely co-slept with Thomas, and he didn't start consistently
sleeping through the night until he was 2 and a few months. After he
moved to his "big boy bed," actually.

Well all kinds of people are chiming in with similar responses!! I'm
surprised actually. I'm glad I know, even though not glad you all had to
live through it to prove it to me, lol.

Well, at least I got a self-weaner, even if I didn't get a sleeper!
;-) Though if I hadn't gotten pg, who knows how long that would've
taken!

Irene
Old March 10th 04, 12:01 PM
Elly

"ted" ha scritto nel messaggio
om...
Did any of your bfed babies sleep in a crib/away from you at nights?
How did you manage that?

Thanks.

We manage it just fine .-)
DD has her own room since day 1, it's right next to our bedroom. When I just
came home from the hospital, I slept in her room for 2-3 weeks or so, while
she slept in her cradle. Then I "moved" back to our bedroom. Fortunatelly,
in the beginning she only woke up for one night feed (around 3-4 am) and I'd
go to her room and feed her on the bed there. Then she started sleeping
through the night (even though I'd still wake up for that night feed because
the breasts were full - until supply and demand regulated that again), so we
don't have any night feedings.
Now, sometimes DH brings her to our bed for the morning feeding (around 8,30
am) because he usually wakes up before DD does.

Getting up in the night to breastfeed her wasn't such a big deal. In the
very beginning, when I was still very sore, DH would wake up anyway when
she'd cry and he'd come into her nursery (while I was sleeping there too)
and bring her to me. That was helpful - I didn't have to get up at all. When
I got better, getting up wasn't difficult.