could this be reflux?

Old March 9th 04, 03:19 PM

Default could this be reflux?

Hi Guys,

I'm helping a good friend take care of their little one and we're
starting to think that she may have a problem with reflux. We're going
to see the doctor next week but I want us to be educated before
we go in.

Basically her DD sleeps on her side & doesn't like sleeping on her
back or tummy. They live in the city and rarely put her in the
car to go anywhere. She's probably in the car once a month if they
drive out to the suburbs. So I know she doesn't have a strong
sleep association with the car seat. But, if we put her in the car
seat at night she'll immediately fall asleep. This is something
we just figured out about her recently.

She used to spit up a lot when she was younger and she had to be
inclined to sleep in her crib. The doctor also told her to use
a bouncy chair and to keep her upright for 30minutes after
feedings.

My friend decided to start co-sleeping to ease the nights and
even when they're co-sleeping she is still re-positioning her at
night or putting her back on her side to sleep.

It seems like the doc early on said the baby will grow out of
reflux in 1yr. We've been researching online and have found
that it can be a permament condition and that there can also be
'silent reflux'.

What do you guys think? We plan on seeing a different doctor
next week but we want to be as informed as possible on the matter.

If you have had experiences with reflux please share them.
Old March 9th 04, 04:15 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

What is it that makes you think she has reflux? Does she cry a lot,
lose meals, not sleep well? Just having a preference for sleeping on
her side doesn't mean anything.

My son has reflux. I had a problem getting him diagnosed, because he
was gaining weight regularly -- but he was one cranky little boy. In
our case, I figured out what it was when he was little, but was unable
to get a diagnosis until he was 4 years old. He's been on one
medication or another since then. (He's 18 now.)

meh

Old March 9th 04, 06:56 PM

In misc.kids.breastfeeding dragonlady wrote:

What is it that makes you think she has reflux? Does she cry a lot,
lose meals, not sleep well? Just having a preference for sleeping on
her side doesn't mean anything.

She does not sleep well. She was diagnosed with reflux earlier but
they told her she'd grow out of it in a few months. They never
did anything but listen to symptoms.

Old March 9th 04, 07:25 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
wrote:

In misc.kids.breastfeeding dragonlady wrote:

What is it that makes you think she has reflux? Does she cry a lot,
lose meals, not sleep well? Just having a preference for sleeping on
her side doesn't mean anything.

She does not sleep well. She was diagnosed with reflux earlier but
they told her she'd grow out of it in a few months. They never
did anything but listen to symptoms.

As others have said, NOT all babies grow out of it. If the doctor
still thinks she has reflux, based on the symptoms only, make sure she
talks to the doctor about putting the baby on liquid medication. For my
son, the difference was damned near instantaneous. And my neice tells
me they put her baby on it at about 10 weeks, and suddenly the sun came
out . . .

Tell her not to let the doctor blow her off with "it's just reflux and
she'll outgrow it". If he wants to insist on testing before medicating,
that's fine. I'm not sure what they do now (my grand-nephew's diagnosis
was symptom based) but fore my son they put a tube through his nose into
his esophogas and measured the pH level; it was left in for 24 hours,
and they watched the changes, how it related to when he'd eaten, and
when he had symptoms (in his case, waking up and crying). It was
obvious well before the 24 hours was up that it was positive for reflux.

meh

Old March 9th 04, 11:30 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
wrote:
In misc.kids.breastfeeding dragonlady wrote:

What is it that makes you think she has reflux? Does she cry a lot,
lose meals, not sleep well? Just having a preference for sleeping on
her side doesn't mean anything.

She does not sleep well. She was diagnosed with reflux earlier but
they told her she'd grow out of it in a few months. They never
did anything but listen to symptoms.

My refluxy kids did sleep better in a carseat. They did outgrow it
well before a year if memory serves. Symptoms were, crying after
feeding, preferring to be held in an upright position, "gulping"
(this was spitting up partially and then swallowing it back down).

Good luck figuring out what is going on,
--Robyn