Quick Question - Might be a little long

Old September 24th 03, 11:03 PM
Paul Morris

Default Quick Question - Might be a little long

Hello all,

I have been an avid watcher of this news group and thought it time to post
my first message.

My wife is 13.5 weeks pregnant with our first. We have just come back from
our 12 week scan and everything is going really well! The midwife even
commented on how active the little one was!

I was hoping for some advice and direction.

I can barely wait another 6 weeks for our next scan and was looking to
purchase a heart monitor/stethoscope or something to listen to the baby (I'm
a very exited dad to be!).

Could someone advise where I could buy something like this? I'm in the UK.

Many Thanks!

Paul Morris

---

Old September 25th 03, 01:03 AM
UberMinx

Congratulations!!!

Try e-bay, there are often Doppler's for sale on there I was looking the
other day for more general baby items and noticed there were several on
sale. It may well work out cheaper than buying new!

UberMinx

Old September 25th 03, 04:46 AM
Kereru

"Paul Morris" wrote in message
Hello all,

I have been an avid watcher of this news group and thought it time to post
my first message.

My wife is 13.5 weeks pregnant with our first. We have just come back from
our 12 week scan and everything is going really well! The midwife even
commented on how active the little one was!

I was hoping for some advice and direction.

I can barely wait another 6 weeks for our next scan and was looking to
purchase a heart monitor/stethoscope or something to listen to the baby

(I'm
a very exited dad to be!).

Could someone advise where I could buy something like this? I'm in the UK.

Many Thanks!

Paul Morris

---

Personally I wouln't get one. Ultrasound and doppler are great tools when
needed but I wouldn't trust their safety to get one one at home. I know I'd
end up using it all the time.

Plus theres nothing worse than trying to hear a heartbeat and not being able
to (which often happens when there is nothing wrong at all).

Try and have faith in your wifes body. You don't want to start her worrying
abou the baby by having to listen for it all the time. Just assume all is
well unless you hear differently. You will soon be able to feel the baby
kicking every now and then and we *know* that, that doesn't do any harm :-)

Good Luck

Judy

Old September 25th 03, 06:05 AM
Sue

I personally wouldn't waste my money on the Dopplers for pregnancy. They
have not been proven safe. It also can cause undo stress if you can't find
the heartbeat because the placenta is in the way or the baby is facing
another way.
How come your wife is having another ultrasound in six weeks? Usually there
is only one scan and sometimes none if everything is going well.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old September 25th 03, 10:53 AM
Dagny

"Paul Morris" wrote in message
Hello all,

I have been an avid watcher of this news group and thought it time to post
my first message.

My wife is 13.5 weeks pregnant with our first. We have just come back from
our 12 week scan and everything is going really well! The midwife even
commented on how active the little one was!

I was hoping for some advice and direction.

I can barely wait another 6 weeks for our next scan and was looking to
purchase a heart monitor/stethoscope or something to listen to the baby

(I'm
a very exited dad to be!).

Could someone advise where I could buy something like this? I'm in the UK.

Many Thanks!

Paul Morris

---

I also don't think Dopplers (which use ultrasound to produce a "heartbeat"
simulation starting in the first trimester) are appropriate for recreational
use, as they have not been proven safe, and ultrasound energy has been shown
to damage cells in some tissue and animal studies. Also remember that your
wife's internal organs, including the eggs that are the basis of all future
pregnancies, are being exposed to this energy with unknown consequences. So
in my opinion it's more appropriate to save the ultrasound exposure for
medical need. You would not truly be "hearing" the baby anyway; you would
be hearing a sound generated as an interpretation of inaudible (to you)
energy waves bouncing off blood flow.

In addition there's some evidence that "activity" during ultrasound scans of
the fetus can be the result of the fetus being disturbed by the scans.
http://www.mayo.edu/ultrasound/news/

The alternative, if you want to hear the heartbeat in a more benign manner,
is that you can use a fetoscope or Pinard horn starting at about 20 weeks
and more definitely by 24 weeks; I think Pinard horns are more common in the
UK. Fetoscopes are available at Cascade Medical (US) which has a web site
and no doubt would take a foreign order.

Your wife will start feeling some movement soon and you will be able to feel
it occasionally by about two months.

-- Dagny
EDD 10/6/03

Old September 25th 03, 11:58 AM
Dagny

In previous post I should have put "two months from now" instead of "two
months" for clarity. Sorry.

Old September 25th 03, 01:12 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Sue wrote:

*I personally wouldn't waste my money on the Dopplers for pregnancy. They
*have not been proven safe. It also can cause undo stress if you can't find
*the heartbeat because the placenta is in the way or the baby is facing
*another way.
*How come your wife is having another ultrasound in six weeks? Usually there
*is only one scan and sometimes none if everything is going well.

If she's 13.5 weeks now, she'll be 18.5 in six weeks - prime time for the
"standard" anatomy scan...

Old September 25th 03, 02:58 PM
Linz

"Paul Morris" wrote in message
Hello all,

I have been an avid watcher of this news group and thought it time
to post my first message.

My wife is 13.5 weeks pregnant with our first. We have just come
back from our 12 week scan and everything is going really well! The
midwife even commented on how active the little one was!

That one's really exciting, isn't it!

I was hoping for some advice and direction.

I can barely wait another 6 weeks for our next scan and was looking
to purchase a heart monitor/stethoscope or something to listen to
the baby (I'm a very exited dad to be!).

Could someone advise where I could buy something like this? I'm in
the UK.

I wouldn't bother. I really wouldn't bother. If the baby moves and you can't
find the heartbeat you'll get very anxious, and using a stethoscope at this
early stage you'll find it hard to catch the heartbeat anyway. Bloke and I
(34+ weeks) still don't catch the heart most times we try with my old
stethoscope, and I have a good idea where to try listening! Also, if you're
thinking of getting a doppler/sonicaid, some babies (like mine) really don't
like the things and move away, so you'd be playing chase. It won't be long
till your wife, and then you, can feel the baby squirming around in there,
which is far more entertaining, really!

Old September 25th 03, 09:40 PM
Paul Morris

Thanks to all of you for replying to my post yesterday.

After speaking to my wife about it this evening and reading your posts I
have decided to wait for the next scan.

Sue, answering your question about us having another scan. The last scan was
a dating scan (my wife didn't know the date of the period she missed!) the
first san was a scare scan and the next one will be the anomaly scan.

I can't wait for the next one!

Paul Morris

---

preschool question -- kinda long! Janette General 16 February 7th 04 08:32 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM