What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

Old June 14th 06, 10:47 PM posted to misc.kids

Default What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

In article . com,
" wrote:

Forget the website. Geesh. Sorry if anybody thinks I'm trying to
promote it. And, heaven forbid that I look like I'm actually promoting
the inapprorpiateness of children. Oh my goodnes.

Dragonlady,
I respect your opinion that there is nothing wrong with what children
wear. It's just something I've noticed and am concerned about. That's
all. It's worth discussing and thinking about when one looks at ads
including children - or when young children want to dress up like
little teenagers.

Man, you make it sound like I think it's OK when kids dress
inappropriately. I don't. I just don't see very much of it.

Of course, I'm not going out of my way to look for it either -- nor
would I post such pictures on a website.

As others have pointed out, your objection does not seem to be children
dressed in miniature adult clothing -- it is children dressed in the
slut puppy look. If you are genuinely insterested in discussion, you
need to be clear about that. DO you object to little boys in suits and
ties? Girls in fancy dresses and (flat) dress shoes? If you don't, you
need to stop referring to it as "adult" fashions -- most of the adults
*I* know don't dress in highly sexual ways. And our kids tend to dress
the same way we do: jeans and t-shirts (cut modestly, no inappropriate
words) for play, dresses or slacks and nice tops or shirts for church or
going out to dinner. Heck, I even have one picture of both DH and our
son wearing jackets and ties. Do you have a problem with that?

Old June 14th 06, 10:55 PM posted to misc.kids

Aula,
Yes, you might be right. Possibly adult is not the right word. Many
pubescent is better? Or, mature?

Of course, I generalize when I say children (not meaning all children)
or when I say adult (not meaning every adult).

I would also not consider myself to dress provocatively. However, as a
woman, I do dress approrpiately feminine and sometimes appropriately
sexual. My clothing would not be appropriate for a 3 year old.

Nonetheless, I see 3 year olds dressed in miniature versions of my
clothing all the time. They aren't dressed provocatively (or
sexually), just in appropriately for their age - in clothing that can
make them look older than they are.

I do appreciate your suggestion that "adult" can be difficult to
understand in this context.

Aula wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
My question is to start a conversation about the impact of dressing
kids like adults. I have really been hit hard in my conviction about
how we dress kids in adult-like outfits but are outraged over
pediphilia.

Then I think you need to reframe your question. I am an adult and I do not
often dress provocatively. Many adults do not dress provocatively.
Perhaps, though, that is the word you are looking for, not 'adults'.

-Aula

Old June 14th 06, 11:04 PM posted to misc.kids

Dragonlady,
I apologize if I'm not being clear with what I consider "adult" like
clothing. I think your confusion with this is not necessarily due to
my lack of clarification. I think this is the issue...what is
considered too riske for children?

Of course, a pair of little jeans and a polo is darling and very
appropriate. A Sunday dress and mary janes is fine. Certainly
clothing when we were growing up is fine. This is a recent phenomenon
- which is why it's a discussion that may look on the surface as not
being an issue but, in reality, is.

I think we're talking the difference between
(http://www.janieandjack.com/) and (http://ubbaby.com/). We're talking
a difference between Gap and LimitedToo. My concern comes with both
miniturizing adult clothing (clothing made for mature pubescent adults)
and with sexualizing the clothing (or the child) in the advertisement.

Does this help clarify?

Old June 14th 06, 11:06 PM posted to misc.kids

wrote in message
oups.com...
That makes no sense. Ignore the website. What does that have to do
with anything, anyway?

You're the one that posted links to your site. Answer your question for me,
then.

Besides, you can't have a conversation about something you don't even
believe exists. The pictures I have put up are simply illustrating my
point. If you don't like it, ignore it.

???

But don't try sabatoge a very good conversation with your demands.

Again, ???
I've yet to come across a "very good conversation" with this thread.

Since watching Dateline's To Catch A Predator, I've wondered how we, as
a society unknowing, participate in this. Do we push the buttons of
those who already have sick tendencies?

Seems like Banty was pushing your buttons

"Society cannot claim to abhor the sexual abuse and exploitation of
children in pornography and yet allow the portrayal of children as
sexualized objects in the popular press and in advertising." -
Pornography: Women, Violence and Civil Liberties,Catherine Itzin,
"Images of Children in the Media," Michael Elliott, 1992.

Banty wrote:
In article . com,
says...

My question is to start a conversation about the impact of dressing
kids like adults. I have really been hit hard in my conviction about
how we dress kids in adult-like outfits but are outraged over
pediphilia.

Is there any responsibility there on behalf of us parents to present
our children like the children they are - rather than the adults they
will become? Is it a responsibility of us as a society to be outraged
over the explotation of our children in advertising?

I'd really appreciate an honest discussion - even if you disagree with
me.

It's not about disagreeing or agreeing.

Take the damn pictures off your website, and then come back if you really
want a
discussion. What you do will reveal what you are.

Banty (watch what they do, not what they say)

Old June 14th 06, 11:13 PM posted to misc.kids

Xkatx,
Yes, that post was for Banty. Sorry about that.

xkatx wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Banty wrote:
In article . com,
says...

Old June 14th 06, 11:27 PM posted to misc.kids

Hi, tigerpaws --

wear is irrelevant. How we treat children -- that is, at what age we
expect them to take on adult-like responsibilities -- is definitely an
important. Our society has extended childhood far, far past the
historical norm. The trend begins with things like the advent of child
labor laws (1800s, industrial revolution) which limited certain kinds of
labor prior to the age of 10, then 14, then 18 ... I see childhood now
as extending even into the 30's, which is when many people expect
finally to marry and take on the ultimate adult responsibility of
raising kids!

I know this posting is way too brief and not well-organized, but I hope
at least some of my point is coming across. Perhaps I'll pontificate
further when my children aren't tugging at my shoulders :-)

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old June 14th 06, 11:33 PM posted to misc.kids

Beth,
I think that's a really great point. Isn't it interesting that at the
exact same time that we may be finding that (as a society) we are
dressing (or at least accepting that some people dress) our children,
even babies like teenagers and adults, we're also treating our adults
(20+ year olds) like children.

I just watched a news story the other day talking about the cellphone
being the longest umbilical cord...as Baby Boomers are coddling their
children into college and into their early 20's.

Good point. Which makes me wonder - are we blurring the lines between
being a child and growing up? There seems to no longer be a "rite of
passage". Are we blurring it?

Old June 14th 06, 11:40 PM posted to misc.kids

In article yL%jg.54678$S61.46932@edtnps90, xkatx says...

wrote in message
roups.com...
That makes no sense. Ignore the website. What does that have to do
with anything, anyway?

You're the one that posted links to your site. Answer your question for me,
then.

Besides, you can't have a conversation about something you don't even
believe exists. The pictures I have put up are simply illustrating my
point. If you don't like it, ignore it.

???

But don't try sabatoge a very good conversation with your demands.

Again, ???
I've yet to come across a "very good conversation" with this thread.

Since watching Dateline's To Catch A Predator, I've wondered how we, as
a society unknowing, participate in this. Do we push the buttons of
those who already have sick tendencies?

Seems like Banty was pushing your buttons

Big red ones, too.

Banty