So Sick From Iron...warning/ (gross)...

Old March 13th 04, 05:37 PM
Christine

Default So Sick From Iron...warning/ (gross)...

Hi, my Dr.s office called last week and put me on some iron ( Horse )
pills, perscription ) and they had to order them so i just got them
yesterday, I dont recall what they're called they're in DH car and he is
not home.....i'll post the name later on,
anyhow i took one last night, and i woke up this morning SO sick, I'm
throwing up thick brown stuff...i know its the iron because the pills
are huge brown pills...its also coming out both ends..sorry gross i
know..;(
i'm so sick right now that i cant type...my questions are;
once i get this pill out of my system will i feel better, how long does
one pill take to leave the system?

has anyone else been through this?
if so then how did you get your iron up?
because there is NO WAY i can continue with these pills...I have never
been so sick...its way worse than MS.....I even threw up on MY WAY to
the bathroom...brown throw up on white carpet.....;( sorry again
gross i know!

What can i do to get my iron up instead of iron pills?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

So sick in Pa.

Old March 13th 04, 06:20 PM
silivrenglaur

so sorry to hear that they are making you sick. Iron shouldnt make you
throw up, it will make your bm's dark and abnormal looking, but I think you
should call your dr, and maybe get a lower dosage. Are you eating when you
take the pills, or are you taking them on an empty stomach, that should make
a difference. because the pills are so large, you may need to eat a little
more with them.

hth
silivrenglaur

Old March 13th 04, 08:22 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Christine wrote:

What can i do to get my iron up instead of iron pills?

Your doctor must have given you the crap pills. There are better sources
of supplementation available at your local vitamin shop. Go there, and
look for a bottle of 25mg pills that says "gentle iron" on it, "high
absorption" and that come in veggie capsules.

Get those, go home, and take 2 of them with dinner. At dinner, eat 1oz
or more of red meat and drink OJ (or take a vit. c pill) to help
absorption. Alternatives to red meat are clams, which are actually much
higher in iron - if you can handle clams, go for it.

Old March 13th 04, 08:30 PM
Amy

Ask your Dr. to switch brands. Sometimes people have problems with some
pills and not with others. You could ask if you can have shots for iron, I
know B12 can be given intravenously but not sure on iron.

Old March 14th 04, 01:21 AM
dkc

Hi,

As long as you aren't allergic to wheat, I'd recommend eating Kellogg's
Product 19 cereal. It has 100% RDV of iron in just one serving (of course,
you'll need more iron during the day, as the RDV is for normal people and we
pregnant ladies have a higher daily iron requirement). This cereal is also
low in calories and high in other important vitamins and minerals. Plus,
with added milk, you can get additional calcium into your diet. I refuse to
take iron pills (I'm currently 8 months pregnant); I tried taking them early
on in my pregnancy, but they constipated me terribly. I have been doing
just fine without the iron pills by making sure that I get plenty of iron
through proper food consumption.

Good luck!

Debbie

Old March 14th 04, 02:38 AM
Coccinella

Like all the other ladies said, I would call your dr. I couldn't take
prenatal vitamins because of the iron in them. When they found out that I
had low blood iron, my Dr gave me SlowFe. I take it with food at breakfast
and I have been OK.
Hope something works for you .

--
Love

Nicky

EDD March 26, '04. It's a girl!

Fur Babies

Old March 14th 04, 04:03 AM
laurie

i second the recommendation to get the gentle iron tabs, slow release ones.
they're small and very gentle on your stomach.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, almost 3 years and
Christopher, 10 months
Old March 14th 04, 08:11 PM
Christine

Now i'm not sure if it was the iron,,,because i got so much worse
yesterday, and was running a low grade fever of 100.2 not very much but
i could tell....i was sooooo sick till 11:00 pm and now today i'm
holding liquids down and i getting ready to try a slice of toast...but
i'm feeling much better today....

i'm hoping i can try that ( slow-fe )...because i'm so scared to take
one of these again.....they're called
=91=91Chromagen=92=92

ty for all your help...

Old March 15th 04, 04:53 PM
R.Sitter

"Coccinella" wrote in message
. com...
Like all the other ladies said, I would call your dr. I couldn't take
prenatal vitamins because of the iron in them. When they found out that I
had low blood iron, my Dr gave me SlowFe. I take it with food at breakfast
and I have been OK.
Hope something works for you .

i can't take prenatal vitamins either. my OB recommended flintstones
vitamins, 2/day. they're yummy!

randi
mother of megan, 10, riley, 13 mo, and chloe due in 2weeks!

Old March 15th 04, 08:22 PM
Coccinella

"R.Sitter" wrote in message

i can't take prenatal vitamins either. my OB recommended flintstones
vitamins, 2/day. they're yummy!

randi
mother of megan, 10, riley, 13 mo, and chloe due in 2weeks!

I would have loved flintstones, but my OB gave me 1-a-day-essentials!

Love
--
Nicky

EDD March 26, '04. It's a girl!

Fur Babies

FDA mulls antidepressant warning Jamie Clark Pregnancy 17 February 14th 04 10:47 PM
Acceptable losses... Kane General 14 January 26th 04 02:06 PM
13+ weeks and stilllllll sick! Jill Pregnancy 11 November 14th 03 12:45 AM
Iron? Irish Marie Pregnancy 19 July 17th 03 10:15 PM