Autism and Thimerosal-Containing Vaccines,Lack of Consistent Evidencefor an Association

Old August 22nd 05, 06:04 PM

Majusmaximum wrote:

I did the following experiment:

To test a scientific hypothesis that potatoes much prefer acid soil, I
planted some potatoes in quite alkaline, sandy, pH 8 soil, and some other
potatoes in much lower ph soil (by adding sulphur powder), soil that also
had humus.

I was not the least bit surprised when those nasty potato beetles in
large numbers found their way to my potato plants growing in the sandy,
alkaline soil and did their damage. The potatoes in the properly
acidified soil had not one bug on them. Not one. Also, the alkaline soil
produced scabby (very scabby) potatoes when it produced any at all. These
sad-looking potato plants were not able to divest themselves of the
rapidly-increasing potato beetles, and went to the dogs.

Anecdotal? You bet. The best kind of evidence for me. What's better than
my own eyes?

Well, that to me is an essential component of science.

Performing REPEATABLE experiments, and reporting them (in
this case on the web) for hypotheses being openly falsified
or verified.

Unlike this experiment, most of the medical data we must rely
upon is not realistically repeatable by interested parties -- and
is therefore simply anecdotal. Ultimately, it boils
down to nothing more than the level of trust
you put in the anecdote.

In this case, in addition to the hyopthesis you were testing,
there are other questions that are relevant. Particularly,
why would bugs only prefer the alkaline-grown potatoes?

Old August 22nd 05, 09:07 PM
Majusmaximum

jdeere2312, I thank you for showing an interest in my potato
"experiment",and not insulting my statements.

In this case, in addition to the hyopthesis you were testing,
there are other questions that are relevant. Particularly,
why would bugs only prefer the alkaline-grown potatoes?

Yes, it would be important to know why the potato beetle goes for the
alkaline-grown potatoes,in the most minute scientific gab, if it
ultimately helps us all-around in investigating why "germs" (tiny bugs)
attack certain persons and not others. (I'd suggest they do not "attack"
anybody; they merely go to a place where they are comfortable, according
to their needs. They are not evil; they are doing what they know how to
do. They are demonstrating our weakened condition.)

But my potato story ain't over. Turns out it is not a simple acid- vs
alkaline-soil issue. I also grew potatoes in a 3rd kind of environment:
virgin, high-humus,ph 8 soil. No additives of any kind. (Both humus
content - 27% - and soil pH verified by a laboratory). Well, guess what:
great potatoes! No beetles!

I asked someone who is no smarter or stupider than me why this might be,
and he posited that (OK, he read it in a gardening book) that humus has a
"balancing" effect on the soil/plant relationship, i.e., if the medium the
plant is growing in has the wrong pH level for a given crop, the humus
somehow compensates for that, making the environment suitable and the crop
healthy. I guess this is why the organic-gardening folks can't stop
yakking about composting.

Now, is the quality of the humus/compost (organic matter), i.e., the
mineral level, the big deal here? Or the fact that certain helpful
microorganisms enjoy carbohydrates, irrespective of mineral content?

It's all too much for me! Soil scientists, do yer stuff. But my
experiences count, too.

Probert says that children fed a healthy diet get diseases, too. They
sure do. Both infecious & degenerative. It is not that simple, just as my
potato experiment showed me. It is a many-factored, multi-aspect matter,
how to be strong and healthy and resistant. There are all kinds of things
that weaken our children, and ourselves, and merely poking arms with a
needle will never compensate for a multitude of stressors. Diet alone
won't compensate, either, but without diet, it cannot be done.

And, thankfully, scientists have shown us how certain heavy metals are
bad for human health, not to mention other substances and life
experiences. Take mercury, for example. Thimerosol is not the only
source of exposure. There is exposure in the womb and from mother's milk.
From eating fish, also.

Old August 23rd 05, 05:26 AM
David Wright

In article .com,
wrote:
David Wright wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
David Wright wrote:

I hope this injection (:-) of facts into your screed won't really mess
up your day:

Neurotoxic character of thimerosal and the allometric extrapolation of
adult clearance half-time to infants.

The self-certainty shown in this post indicates clearly
that toxicology reference works should add to every
single page, the fact that human bodies are a lot more
variable than radio isotopes. Clearly adding this to a
single location is insufficient and misguiding.

Except you don't have the slightest idea of how much variation there
is here. You're just posting a statement of faith that it varies as
much as you want it to.

And you concluded that from...?

From the fact that you didn't post any evidence.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
"If you meet the Buddha on the net, put him in your killfile."
-- Anon.