false positive?

Old September 1st 06, 12:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
oregonchick

Default false positive?

I've heard that there are no false positives, but I'm praying that is
incorrect. I had a daughter in December, and have been waiting for my cycle
to start this month so I can have my IUD put in, on the advice of you good
people here. Well, I'm 10 days late. Except for one "whoops" earlier in
the month, we have abstained completely. I took a test today. It said to
expect a result within 2-10 minutes, but not to look at the test after the
10 min. At 2 minutes it was still negative, so I shrugged it off and
started doing something else. I came back to it about 20 minutes later, and
there was a distinct 2nd line.

Can I be fairly certain that it was a negative result, and that what I saw
was an evaporation line?

Old September 1st 06, 01:40 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
oregonchick

"JennP" wrote in message
. ..

"oregonchick" wrote in message
[...]

Supposedly there's no such thing as a false positive. I'd take another
test
in a couple of days. However, several months back I took a test I'd had
in
my cabinet for about 2 years but it was just inside the expiration date.
*swore* there was a very faint line. I freaked out. Dh had just had his
vasectomy and another baby was NOT in our plans. I don't know what I saw,
but it was something. FWIW, I'm not pregnant. The line I saw was very,
very
faint, but you are saying yours was distinct...I'd take another test
tomorrow. Good luck.

JennP.

Well, what I was wondering about is the posibility of an evaporation line.
But I read that an evaporation line is gray. This line is blue. I don't
know. I'm freaking out. I'm heading out to buy a First Response tonight.
I can't wait until tomorrow.

Old September 1st 06, 01:40 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
JennP

[...]

my cabinet for about 2 years but it was just inside the expiration date. I

Old September 1st 06, 03:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

oregonchick wrote:
"JennP" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I read somewhere that if you wait long enough, a line will show up,
that's why the test isn't accurate after a certain time frame. I've
seen a positive line on a negative test I took once when looking at it
~ 1 hr later.

Good luck.

Old September 1st 06, 08:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Me Myself and I

"oregonchick" wrote in message
I've heard that there are no false positives, but I'm praying that is
incorrect. I had a daughter in December, and have been waiting for my
cycle to start this month so I can have my IUD put in, on the advice of
you good people here. Well, I'm 10 days late. Except for one "whoops"
earlier in the month, we have abstained completely. I took a test today.
It said to expect a result within 2-10 minutes, but not to look at the
test after the 10 min. At 2 minutes it was still negative, so I shrugged
it off and started doing something else. I came back to it about 20
minutes later, and there was a distinct 2nd line.

Can I be fairly certain that it was a negative result, and that what I saw
was an evaporation line?

As far as I am aware an evap line would be very very faint, but you say that
there is a very distinct line so I think that it's most likely a positive
result. Can you send us the link to a picture of the test so we can see the
line?

Good luck with the first response test.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
"Uhhhhh ohhhhhh" is my new favourite phrase, now what other trouble can I
find!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old September 1st 06, 08:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

oregonchick wrote:
I've heard that there are no false positives, but I'm praying that is
incorrect. I had a daughter in December, and have been waiting for my cycle
to start this month so I can have my IUD put in, on the advice of you good
people here. Well, I'm 10 days late. Except for one "whoops" earlier in
the month, we have abstained completely. I took a test today. It said to
expect a result within 2-10 minutes, but not to look at the test after the
10 min. At 2 minutes it was still negative, so I shrugged it off and
started doing something else. I came back to it about 20 minutes later, and
there was a distinct 2nd line.

Can I be fairly certain that it was a negative result, and that what I saw
was an evaporation line?

With the first test I took for ds there was no line after 2 mins.
Because I was at work I didn't chuck it in the bin but kept it. For
some mad reason I checked it a few hours later and it was positive. 2
other tests said the same. Ds is now nearly 14 months.

I hope you get the result you want, not knowing either way is pretty
frustrating.

Jeni

Old September 1st 06, 02:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I've heard that there are no false positives, but I'm praying that is
incorrect. I had a daughter in December, and have been waiting for my
cycle to start this month so I can have my IUD put in, on the advice of
you good people here.

I've not read that on here, I may have missed something, but really the time
to have an IUD put in, is before LAM has ended, which by default means not
waiting for your period. Though once your cycles have returned it does seem
the best time is during a period.

Well, I'm 10 days late. Except for one "whoops" earlier in the month, we
have abstained completely. I took a test today. It said to expect a
result within 2-10 minutes, but not to look at the test after the 10 min.
At 2 minutes it was still negative, so I shrugged it off and started doing
something else. I came back to it about 20 minutes later, and there was a
distinct 2nd line.

Can I be fairly certain that it was a negative result, and that what I saw
was an evaporation line?

I don't think you can be fairly certain, but I think there is a good chance,
if you were pregnant and had got pregnant around the middle of the month, by
10 days late you'd expect a strong postive, not a faint line by 20mins. The
only way to tell is to test again, depends what your personality is, what
you do next, myself, I'm a it of a bury my head in the sand type of person,
so I'd assume it was negative and get on with life!

Anne

Old September 1st 06, 02:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

..

Well, what I was wondering about is the posibility of an evaporation line.
But I read that an evaporation line is gray. This line is blue. I don't
know. I'm freaking out. I'm heading out to buy a First Response tonight.
I can't wait until tomorrow.

on this page http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/falsepositive.html it gives
missed reaction time as a different error to evaporation line and doesn't
say anything about the colour, but I'd assume blue, as it does say grey in
the evaporation line section, basically from what it says here, the test is
invalid, so there is no point in 2nd guessing, you're just going to have to
retest, sorry.

Anne

Old September 1st 06, 02:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

With the first test I took for ds there was no line after 2 mins.
Because I was at work I didn't chuck it in the bin but kept it. For
some mad reason I checked it a few hours later and it was positive. 2
other tests said the same. Ds is now nearly 14 months.

did scan give the same due date as what you expected? if it didn't, it could
actually have been a true negative with a brand that turns postivie if left
too long, or it could have turned after 3 mins, you never know with that
time lag!

Anne

Old September 1st 06, 02:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Me Myself and I wrote:
[...]

My personal experience was different - the line wasn't faint, it was
very strong and looked like a positive (when looked at about an hour
later), but it was definitely negative.

Just anecdotal...