Well, he's not a college student ... but ...

Old February 27th 07, 07:52 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents,misc.kids
0:->

Default Well, he's not a college student ... but ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070227/...8XhzgL ms0NUE

Back to Story - Help
Yahoo! News
Study: College students more narcissistic

By DAVID CRARY, AP National WriterTue Feb 27, 12:32 AM ET

Today's college students are more narcissistic and self-centered than
their predecessors, according to a comprehensive new study by five
psychologists who worry that the trend could be harmful to personal
relationships and American society.

"We need to stop endlessly repeating 'You're special' and having
children repeat that back," said the study's lead author, Professor Jean
Twenge of San Diego State University. "Kids are self-centered enough
already."

Twenge and her colleagues, in findings to be presented at a workshop
Tuesday in San Diego on the generation gap, examined the responses of
16,475 college students nationwide who completed an evaluation called
the Narcissistic Personality Inventory between 1982 and 2006.

The standardized inventory, known as the NPI, asks for responses to such
statements as "If I ruled the world, it would be a better place," "I
think I am a special person" and "I can live my life any way I want to."

The researchers describe their study as the largest ever of its type and
say students' NPI scores have risen steadily since the current test was
introduced in 1982. By 2006, they said, two-thirds of the students had
above-average scores, 30 percent more than in 1982.

Narcissism can have benefits, said study co-author W. Keith Campbell of
the University of Georgia, suggesting it could be useful in meeting new
people "or auditioning on 'American Idol.'"

"Unfortunately, narcissism can also have very negative consequences for
society, including the breakdown of close relationships with others," he
said.

The study asserts that narcissists "are more likely to have romantic
relationships that are short-lived, at risk for infidelity, lack
emotional warmth, and to exhibit game-playing, dishonesty, and
over-controlling and violent behaviors."

Twenge, the author of "Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans Are
More Confident, Assertive, Entitled — and More Miserable Than Ever
Before," said narcissists tend to lack empathy, react aggressively to
criticism and favor self-promotion over helping others.

The researchers traced the phenomenon back to what they called the
"self-esteem movement" that emerged in the 1980s, asserting that the
effort to build self-confidence had gone too far.

As an example, Twenge cited a song commonly sung to the tune of "Frere
Jacques" in preschool: "I am special, I am special. Look at me."

"Current technology fuels the increase in narcissism," Twenge said. "By
its very name, MySpace encourages attention-seeking, as does YouTube."

Some analysts have commended today's young people for increased
commitment to volunteer work. But Twenge viewed even this phenomenon
skeptically, noting that many high schools require community service and
many youths feel pressure to list such endeavors on college applications.

Campbell said the narcissism upsurge seemed so pronounced that he was
unsure if there were obvious remedies.

"Permissiveness seems to be a component," he said. "A potential antidote
would be more authoritative parenting. Less indulgence might be called for."

The new report follows a study released by UCLA last month which found
that nearly three-quarters of the freshmen it surveyed thought it was
important to be "very well-off financially." That compared with 62.5
percent who said the same in 1980 and 42 percent in 1966.

Yet students, while acknowledging some legitimacy to such findings,
don't necessarily accept negative generalizations about their generation.

Hanady Kader, a University of Washington senior, said she worked unpaid
last summer helping resettle refugees and considers many of her peers to
be civic-minded. But she is dismayed by the competitiveness of some
students who seem prematurely focused on career status.

"We're encouraged a lot to be individuals and go out there and do what
you want, and nobody should stand in your way," Kader said. "I can see
goals and ambitions getting in the way of other things like relationships."

Kari Dalane, a University of Vermont sophomore, says most of her
contemporaries are politically active and not overly self-centered.

"People are worried about themselves — but in the sense of where are
they're going to find a place in the world," she said. "People want to
look their best, have a good time, but it doesn't mean they're not
concerned about the rest of the world."

Besides, some of the responses on the narcissism test might not be
worrisome, Dalane said. "It would be more depressing if people answered,
'No, I'm not special.'"

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The
information contained in the AP News report may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written
authority of The Associated Press.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback
Old February 27th 07, 08:26 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents,misc.kids
Condoleezza HaHa

0:- wrote:

Dalane said. "It would be more depressing if people answered, 'No, I'm not special.'"

Facing reality is 'depressing' for this koo-koo?? We are one of 6
billion - one six billionth of a system of human life on earth.

Believing we are 'special' is insanity. Maybe that's why we're hated the
world over - we're fuc**n koo-koo's.

[...]

FRAUDULENT DEGREES FEDS COVERING UP Greegor Spanking 0 December 15th 06 11:56 AM
FRAUDULENT DEGREES FEDS COVERING UP Greegor Foster Parents 0 December 15th 06 11:56 AM
Rising cost of college smacks the middle class Ablang General 1 December 12th 06 10:57 PM
Vaccines *Truth* Jan Drew Kids Health 34 May 30th 06 02:24 PM
Past Due Support LouKing Child Support 694 July 28th 04 09:05 AM