cleaning baby's butt?

Old June 16th 04, 06:21 PM
zolw

Default cleaning baby's butt?

Hi;

I read that people use the wipes for cleaning baby's butt. Also in the
infant care class we took, the nurse explained how to clean using wipes.

I always thought that the best way of cleaning baby's butt is to go to
the sink & use plenty & plenty of water, towel dry it & then use the
diapers. I understand that I would use the wipes if am outside etc., but
what is the healthier option?

The way I see it is that cleaning with water is cleaner and it also
removes anything that could cause irritation. Was I wrong all along?

Mona
due 07-31-04

Old June 16th 04, 06:26 PM
Tori M.

I supose it depends on 1. how much your child likes to be in the water and 2
how much time you want to spend changing a diaper.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 16th 04, 06:28 PM
Jacqui

zolw wibbled

I always thought that the best way of cleaning baby's butt is to
go to the sink & use plenty & plenty of water, towel dry it & then
use the diapers. I understand that I would use the wipes if am
outside etc., but what is the healthier option?

Water's fine but taking the baby to the sink? A lot of unnecessary
effort there, I think, and potential for unhappy incidents. We have
small pots of water (currently using two ex-Christmas Pudding pots!)
and cotton wool at our two changing 'stations', and they suffice.
You could even refill a water bottle and use that, although I find
the pots easier for dipping the cotton wool accurately. Cotton wool
dries well too.

I use wipes when we're out because then I can change T in the middle
of a field or in changing rooms with no sink (*why* would anyone
create such a thing??) and so on.

Jac
Old June 16th 04, 06:40 PM
zolw

I guess the sink is not necessarily the best choice, but my question was
really about the water part. I just feel that I would have a happier
baby if we cleaned her behind with water, especially that she is born in
the summer. I mean she will probably suffer enough rash & acne that I
can spare her more rash. Right?

zolw wibbled

Old June 16th 04, 06:42 PM
Tori M.

"zolw" wrote in message
I guess the sink is not necessarily the best choice, but my question was
really about the water part. I just feel that I would have a happier
baby if we cleaned her behind with water, especially that she is born in
the summer. I mean she will probably suffer enough rash & acne that I
can spare her more rash. Right?

Jacqui wrote:

While Bonnie has never seemed to have sensative skin she has never had a
rash from diaper wipes.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 16th 04, 06:46 PM
Mary W.

zolw wrote:

I guess the sink is not necessarily the best choice, but my question was
really about the water part. I just feel that I would have a happier
baby if we cleaned her behind with water, especially that she is born in
the summer. I mean she will probably suffer enough rash & acne that I
can spare her more rash. Right?

Our hospital suggested just water for the first week or two. I used a
squirt bottle and some very nice disposable washcloth type things
that I swiped from the hospital. When they were gone, we used
the softest paper towels I could find. After a couple of weeks we
switched to pampers unscented wipes and DD did fine with them.
I never found the wipes to cause her any discomfort.
We would switch back to water if she had a diaper rash, but mostly
she was fine with the wipes (and we used them because they were
easy).

Mary

Old June 16th 04, 07:05 PM
JennP

"Tori M." wrote in message

While Bonnie has never seemed to have sensative skin she has never had a
rash from diaper wipes.

And to add another dimension here...

Matthew has always had very sensitive skin and never had a diaper
rash...ever. Once he started solids he'd get a little red from certain
foods, but he never had a sensitivity to wipes.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old June 16th 04, 07:05 PM
JennP

"zolw" wrote in message
I guess the sink is not necessarily the best choice, but my question was
really about the water part. I just feel that I would have a happier
baby if we cleaned her behind with water, especially that she is born in
the summer. I mean she will probably suffer enough rash & acne that I
can spare her more rash. Right?

Really, it's not that big of a deal. If she has a rash, either you didn't
get to the diaper fast enough, she has thrush or she truly is sensitive to
the diapers/wipes. If you think plain water will work, then by all means go
ahead. It would definitly be cheaper. Most likely you aren't going to bother
her by using a baby wipe.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old June 16th 04, 08:39 PM
Sue

Taking the baby to the sink everytime they have to be changed will take a
lots of time. If the baby has a blow out everytime he feeds will be a hassle
to have to run and get wash clothes or go to the sink. I used wipes, had no
problems and did find that they cleaned up the area very well.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 16th 04, 08:40 PM
Chotii

"zolw" wrote in message
I guess the sink is not necessarily the best choice, but my question was
really about the water part. I just feel that I would have a happier
baby if we cleaned her behind with water, especially that she is born in
the summer. I mean she will probably suffer enough rash & acne that I
can spare her more rash. Right?

I use homemade wipes which I made with my serger - one 5x7" rectangle of
terry toweling, backed by the same size rectangle of flannel. These have
enough 'grip' to get poop off, and we just wash them with the cotton
diapers. We put them into an old wipe box and fill with water. Rarely put
anything in like drops of lavender or tea tree oil, no need to do it. The
only time our littlest seems to get a rash is when she's having more poopy
diapers than usual, such as now (she's on antibiotics at the moment).

--angela