traveling overseas with 1 year old (with Dad)

Old December 30th 03, 06:37 PM
Moo

Default traveling overseas with 1 year old (with Dad)

"Will Hou" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I will be traveling from Florida to China next month with my one-year-old
son alone (mother can't go). Any tips/suggestions/warnings you guys could
provide? Only thing I could think of is to fly as few hours as possible. And
of course, pack enough diapers, formula... (maybe he doesn't need Simulac by
then and can just have regular milk? he will be exactly one year old then).
A friend of mine told me that I want to find a seat that's just in front of
the screen so I can borrow a "basket" from the airline to have the baby
sleep in, especially during the long trans-Pacific flight (10+ hours). I was
told that it is not possible to check in a carseat or stroller. I don't plan
to buy a separate seat for him. He will be staying in China for a few
months.

Some people suggested to use Benadryl on him which helps him breathe and
sleep (that's an idea -- to drug my son out so I can get some sleep!). I
asked our Ped but he didn't recommend nor against it (I forgot what he said
exactly).

Thanks so much in advance.

Already scared,

Will the Dad
PS It seems that the total travel time will be around 26 to 28 hours
including changing planes etc.

Call the airline and ask about checking car seat and stroller. When I
travelled overseas with a baby, I checked the car seat with my luggage
and gate checked the stroller. That way I had the stroller in the
airports. Unlike others, I found I preferred not to take a car seat
on the plane as
it took up a lot of space, prevented the tray table from folding down,
and
put the kid in the perfect position to kick the seat in front of him.
A one
year old will be, I think, too big for the basket--in any case this
will
need to be reserved in advance. Some people recommend bulkhead
seats, but
I prefer regular ones where you can put things under the seat in front
and the
arm rest folds up. Also, most airlines don't let kids play on the
floor anymore, so the extra legroom of the bulkheads is not so useful.

Take some alchohol or antiseptic and clean the babies hands after
he has touched anything in the airport (like
escalator hand rails) before he can put his hand in his mouth, and
also
wipe down the arm rests and tray table on the plane. If he likes
juice,
take a sippy cup for the flight attendant to fill. Take all the
food he will need for the entire plane trip, extra clothes for both of
you,
books and toys, and a blanket.

Some people recommend taking the baby on lots of walks down the
aisles.
I found it better not to do this--once we did, it was very difficult
get mine to be happy in the seat. Much better to just not start it.

Plan on several days for the baby to get over jet lag.

You will be much happier if baby has a seat--if the
flight isn't full, you have a reasonably good chance of getting
one without paying for it, but this is taking a big risk IMO.

Have a good trip!
Old December 30th 03, 07:11 PM
Banty

In article , Moo says...

Some people recommend bulkhead
seats, but
I prefer regular ones where you can put things under the seat in front
and the
arm rest folds up. Also, most airlines don't let kids play on the
floor anymore, so the extra legroom of the bulkheads is not so useful.

Ditto - I did the bulkhead thang once while flying with my baby son and wondered
what the hey people who had been recommending that were thinking. I didn't have
a place to put my long legs, and stuff that I normally would stash under the
seat in front had to go into an overhead bin, and that's a major hassle to get
to. The main advantage is that there is no person in front to recline back.
But this kind of space issue is why it's so important to buy a seat for the
baby.

Banty

Old December 30th 03, 07:20 PM
Banty

In article , Jenn says...

Not buying a seat is a mistake for a trip this long and a terrible
imposition on the people around you who will have to contend with a
squirming sticky baby invading their space [where do you plan to put
this basket? or your child to nap? in your neighbor's foot space?

Agreed completely. You have a responsibility to those around you not to impose
your baby and your baby's inevitable problems on them. Best you can. And
buying space for the baby is an integral part of this.

About other people especially when they travel - some people looooove kids,
other people assume the worst at the sight of any pre-teen or younger. The
former will come forward if you need help(really!). The others, past your own
level best (but inevitably imperfect) efforts and managing your child such that
he is quiet and happy and 'keeps to home', ignore them completely.

Cheers,
Banty

Old December 30th 03, 08:10 PM
C Du

Thanks for all who replied.

From what I have read here, I think I should go ahead and buy him a seat.
Now the question is whether I should bring his Britax Marathon Roundabout
carseat into the airplane. It is certified to be used on airplane, but it is
rather big. If I do bring it, then I have to bring a stroller just to carry
it. I have several strollers and the only one capable to even carry that is
Graco Highland and it is a rather large stroller and they don't match each
other. Anyway I look at this, it is not practical to bring his car seat
along with this stroller. So then I am left with another question: how would
the 1-year-old sit in the seat I get him? I am sure the seat belt alone will
never hold him secure. Should I go buy another car seat? He's 19.5 lb now
and about 28" long. He started walking about a month ago.

Well, I will get a letter from the mother indicating he'll be traveling with
me alone. Mom is a graduate student and holding student visa. If she leaves
the country now, she'll never be able to get back in (not until I get my
citizenship in 2 years). As to whether the mom can bare parting with him
this long, this is just the reality (and she has to be in school fulltime,
otherwise illegal).... it's a very hard decision but we felt that we need to
keep him away from the day care as long as possible (until maybe 2). He is
in daycare now for about 2 months and sick most of the time (he's 10.5
months old). Besides, he'll get more attention and care by staying with his
grandparents for a short while...

Thanks again.

Will

In article , Moo says...

Old December 30th 03, 08:18 PM
Clisby

Will Hou wrote:
[...]

The longest flight I've ever taken with a baby or toddler was less than
3 hours. On one trip, we didn't buy a seat for my daughter, and that
was a *big* mistake. I wouldn't even think of flying to China without a
seat for the baby.

As far as formula/milk: a 1-year-old can drink plain cow's milk,
assuming he's eating a fair variety of other foods for a balanced diet.
However, I wouldn't switch from formula to milk just before the
flight. My daughter was formula fed (also Similac), and wouldn't drink
cow's milk until she was about 14 months old - I guess the taste was too
different. My son is breastfed, and he was 18 months old before he'd
drink cow's milk.

Clisby

Old December 30th 03, 08:46 PM
toypup

"C Du" wrote in message
. com...
Thanks for all who replied.

From what I have read here, I think I should go ahead and buy him a seat.
[...]

If you travel often, I recommend the carseat/stroller combination. We have
a Sit 'n' Stroll and it has been invaluable. Whatever you do, you
definitely need a carseat. Your child might want to sleep along the way and
that would be the best place. Also, a carseat would keep him confined. DS
once went without a carseat and we spent the entire flight trying to keep
him from slipping out of his seatbelt. This is a kid who usually sleeps
from takeoff to landing. Not having a carseat meant having a wriggly, antsy
child who wouldn't sleep.

keep him away from the day care as long as possible (until maybe 2). He is
in daycare now for about 2 months and sick most of the time (he's 10.5
months old). Besides, he'll get more attention and care by staying with

his
grandparents for a short while...

I should warn you that he is likely to get sick from going to China. He's
probably not immune to some the germs floating around there. I know the
first time any of my friends or relatives go to Asia, they get sick. It's
the second or third time they go that they seem more immune. I was deathly
ill myself when I went (got a severe case of dysentery that struck quick and
hard) and we were so careful. Anyway, protecting him from germs shouldn't
be a reason to take him along.

Old December 30th 03, 08:49 PM
Ericka Kammerer

C Du wrote:

Thanks for all who replied.

From what I have read here, I think I should go ahead and buy him a seat.

Good plan. I've always found that my kids travelled
*much* better in their familiar carseat. Without it, they
were fussy and squirmy. With it, they knew the drill and
just sat there like they do in the car.

Now the question is whether I should bring his Britax Marathon Roundabout
carseat into the airplane. It is certified to be used on airplane, but it is
rather big.

Hmm...I agree it's very big and would be challenging to
travel with. Are you planning on being in cars while in China?
If so, perhaps purchasing a less expensive, smaller carseat for
the trip might be worthwhile given how long you'll be there.
If you won't have any use for the carseat except for the plane
ride, it seems excessive to buy a new carseat for this. Maybe
you know someone with a smaller carseat that you could borrow?
It sounds like your son is on the small side, and maybe he
could even fit in one of the little infant bucket seats.
Lots of people seem to have those hanging around in a closet
since they don't fit most babies for very lon.

If I do bring it, then I have to bring a stroller just to carry
it. I have several strollers and the only one capable to even carry that is
Graco Highland and it is a rather large stroller and they don't match each
other.

I wouldn't worry about it matching anything, but it
is handy to have the stroller during connections in airports.
Call and see if you can gate check the stroller. With a smaller
carseat, that might work out well. Pack your carryons carefully.
If you choose not to bring a stroller, you probably want *some*
sort of baby carrying device, like a sling or hip carrier or
some such thing. Wrangling baby and bags with no help isn't
easy. You might also consider a backpack-style bag so that you
can carry it and still have two hands free. I have travelled
with two kids, two carseats, and a double stroller before.
I jammed the two carseats in one of the stroller seats, the
younger child in the other stroller seat (the older child
walked) and carried the stuff in a backpack. I travelled
with a single baby (younger than yours) with just a backpack
and a sling (didn't buy a seat for the baby). It worked,
but it was tough not having a seat for the baby.

Anyway I look at this, it is not practical to bring his car seat
along with this stroller. So then I am left with another question: how would
the 1-year-old sit in the seat I get him? I am sure the seat belt alone will
never hold him secure. Should I go buy another car seat? He's 19.5 lb now
and about 28" long. He started walking about a month ago.

I really, really recommend getting *some* sort of
carseat, whether you have to borrow or buy a new smaller one.
I absolutely wouldn't take a trip like yours without it.
When he takes a nap, you really don't want to have to hold
him. You'll need to take a much needed break while he's
out, and that will be awkward with your hands tied! Without
a carseat, that's not going to work well.

Best wishes,

Ericka

Old December 30th 03, 09:23 PM
Elana Kehoe

Jenn wrote:

Not buying a seat is a mistake for a trip this long and a terrible
imposition on the people around you who will have to contend with a
squirming sticky baby invading their space [where do you plan to put
this basket? or your child to nap? in your neighbor's foot space?

Side note: a lot of long haul airlines have bassinet/baskets that hang
from the bulkhead or from the overhead compartments in certain rows.
--
It's Tis Herself
Old December 30th 03, 10:03 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:47:36 -0500, Will Hou wrote:

On the risk of doubling up on things that have already been said, here is
my experience of travelling with our DS.

(maybe he doesn't need Simulac by
then and can just have regular milk? he will be exactly one year old
then).

I would not recommend changing to regular milk in too short a timespan, it
can seriously upset his stomach if you do. Also, with the formula, you can
at least be reasonably sure he is getting everything he needs without
added germs (depending on where you go in China). Make sure to stock up
well on diapers (most airlines do not carry diapers on board!) and have at
least two full sets of baby clothes in your carry-on luggage.

A friend of mine told me that I want to find a seat that's just in front
of the screen so I can borrow a "basket" from the airline to have the
baby sleep in, especially during the long trans-Pacific flight (10+
hours). I was told that it is not possible to check in a carseat or
stroller. I don't plan to buy a separate seat for him. He will be
staying in China for a few months.

That is just outright nonsense. Every airline I have dealt with (and those
are quite a few) allows you to take a stroller with your baby up to the
gate. The stroller is checked in as special luggage and you will get it
back right at the gate upon leaving the aircraft. Most airlines will allow
you to check in a carseat if you use it inside the aircraft, but we have
also once checked it in with our suitcases without difficulty. The basket
for sleeping is only possible until the age of 6m, if they have one, as it
is very tiny. DS didn't fit in even at 4m of age...

You should definitely check the details with the airline you are using, as
the policies are always slightly different.

Some people suggested to use Benadryl on him which helps him breathe and
sleep (that's an idea -- to drug my son out so I can get some sleep!).

Also not a very good idea. The best way to survive a long flight and
adjust to a new timezone is to keep all medical substances, including
alcohol and caffeine at a minimum. You will find that at that age many
things are interesting, but even so, he will get tired and sleep. Keep a
bottle ready for take-off and landing, or give him his pacifier if he has
one, so he can release the pressure on his ears. Only if he has severe
nasal congestion would I suggest to use a medicine.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (17m)

Old December 30th 03, 10:49 PM
Bev Brandt

Banty wrote in message ...
1. Most importantly, buy airline seats for him. Really, it's necessary to
assure that he has a seat to sleep in, to wiggle in, and to play in.

This is something you (the OP) absolutely need to do and not just so
you can put a wiggly or bored baby in a seat.

You *absolutely* need to purchase a seat for your child for safety
reasons. Not in the very UNlikely event of something catastrophic, but
in the very LIKELY event of strong turbulance or a rough landing.

I had a job that required a lot of travel and have had some flights
where I was very glad I was seatbelted in. If I'd had a child on my
lap during those rough flights, I'd have dropped him for sure. In
addition, my brother - a mechanic for a major airline - doesn't
consider holding a young child on a plane trip of any length an
option.

Buy your child a seat - it might be discounted - take your car seat
with you. Strap the seat into the airline seat and have your child sit
in there as he would in your car. Take him out if it's smooth sailing,
put him back when the pilot turns on the seatbelt light.

- Bev