traveling overseas with 1 year old (with Dad)

Old December 30th 03, 11:12 PM
jojo

Default traveling overseas with 1 year old (with Dad)

ok...do not give your child antihistamines to sleep during the flight.
The reason is this. These products can backfire on you. The combination of
canned air, strange sensations and new enviroment can reverse teh sleepy
effect and turn your kid into a bouncing off the wall lunitic for a couple
of hours.

Our doctor recomended that we take a sucker with us. Something like cherry
or grape.
Babies (ever one year olds) may have ear presure issues. if they will not or
are tot old to suck
a pacifier or bottle, a sucker may help them through take off and landing.

good luck
jojo

Old December 31st 03, 12:53 AM
dejablues

Do you *have* to travel with him at this time? If he's sick all the time
now, how do you think he'll be in China!!!

"C Du" wrote in message
. com...
Thanks for all who replied.

From what I have read here, I think I should go ahead and buy him a seat.
Now the question is whether I should bring his Britax Marathon Roundabout
carseat into the airplane. It is certified to be used on airplane, but it

is
rather big. If I do bring it, then I have to bring a stroller just to

carry
it. I have several strollers and the only one capable to even carry that

is
Graco Highland and it is a rather large stroller and they don't match each
other. Anyway I look at this, it is not practical to bring his car seat
along with this stroller. So then I am left with another question: how

would
the 1-year-old sit in the seat I get him? I am sure the seat belt alone

will
never hold him secure. Should I go buy another car seat? He's 19.5 lb now
and about 28" long. He started walking about a month ago.

Well, I will get a letter from the mother indicating he'll be traveling

with
me alone. Mom is a graduate student and holding student visa. If she

leaves
the country now, she'll never be able to get back in (not until I get my
citizenship in 2 years). As to whether the mom can bare parting with him
this long, this is just the reality (and she has to be in school fulltime,
otherwise illegal).... it's a very hard decision but we felt that we need

keep him away from the day care as long as possible (until maybe 2). He is
in daycare now for about 2 months and sick most of the time (he's 10.5
months old). Besides, he'll get more attention and care by staying with

his
grandparents for a short while...

Thanks again.

Will

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Moo

says...

Some people recommend bulkhead
seats, but
I prefer regular ones where you can put things under the seat in front
and the
arm rest folds up. Also, most airlines don't let kids play on the
floor anymore, so the extra legroom of the bulkheads is not so useful.

Ditto - I did the bulkhead thang once while flying with my baby son and

wondered
what the hey people who had been recommending that were thinking. I

didn't have
a place to put my long legs, and stuff that I normally would stash under

the
seat in front had to go into an overhead bin, and that's a major hassle

get
to. The main advantage is that there is no person in front to recline

back.
But this kind of space issue is why it's so important to buy a seat for

the
baby.

Banty

Old December 31st 03, 03:12 AM
Banty

In article , dejablues says...

Do you *have* to travel with him at this time? If he's sick all the time
now, how do you think he'll be in China!!!

Yeah. I gotta say that, although I can understand lots of reasons someone may
want to have baby with grandma in China, especially if one is a full time
graduate student, avoiding daycare exposures wouldn't be one that made any
sense.

Banty

Old December 31st 03, 07:40 AM
Elana Kehoe

C Du wrote:

Thanks for all who replied.

From what I have read here, I think I should go ahead and buy him a seat.
Now the question is whether I should bring his Britax Marathon Roundabout
carseat into the airplane. It is certified to be used on airplane, but it is
rather big. If I do bring it, then I have to bring a stroller just to carry
it.

We travel with our Britax Roundabout. We strap it into one of those
little luggage carrier things, along with one of our carryon bags. Then
bubs goes in the stroller.

I have several strollers and the only one capable to even carry that is
Graco Highland and it is a rather large stroller and they don't match each
other. Anyway I look at this, it is not practical to bring his car seat
along with this stroller. So then I am left with another question: how would
the 1-year-old sit in the seat I get him? I am sure the seat belt alone will
never hold him secure. Should I go buy another car seat? He's 19.5 lb now
and about 28" long. He started walking about a month ago.

Our stroller and carseat don't match (but we always travel with both
parents, so it's not such a huge deal).

I don't think they would allow a 10.5 month old to sit in a seat by
themselves, with the aircraft seatbelt holding him in. It might be a
pain for part of the flight (the transfers) dealing with all the stuff,
but I've found airport staff and the flight attendants are very helpful.
--
It's Tis Herself
Old December 31st 03, 06:11 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Banty wrote:

In article , dejablues says...

Do you *have* to travel with him at this time? If he's sick all the time
now, how do you think he'll be in China!!!

Yeah. I gotta say that, although I can understand lots of reasons someone may
want to have baby with grandma in China, especially if one is a full time
graduate student, avoiding daycare exposures wouldn't be one that made any
sense.

Banty

I got the impression that it was to avoid the day care *experience* more
than the day care expense.

I went back and read the original posting, and my impression was that
the OP was concerned that his child was getting sick too often *because*
he was in day care, and having the baby cared for by family members in
China was preferred.

meh

Old December 31st 03, 06:17 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"C Du" wrote:

Thanks for all who replied.

From what I have read here, I think I should go ahead and buy him a seat.
[...]

otherwise illegal).... it's a very hard decision but we felt that we need to
keep him away from the day care as long as possible (until maybe 2). He is
in daycare now for about 2 months and sick most of the time (he's 10.5
months old). Besides, he'll get more attention and care by staying with his
grandparents for a short while...

Thanks again.

Will

if you don't want to take the giant car seat -- I would just use the
regular seat belt -- it is not perfect, but it will hold the baby for
turbulence etc -- if you have a seat not on the bulkhead, you can lift
the armrest during flight and he can stretch out in his seat with his
head in your lap to nap- bulkhead seats don't have liftable arm rests

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Moo says...

Some people recommend bulkhead
seats, but
I prefer regular ones where you can put things under the seat in front
and the
arm rest folds up. Also, most airlines don't let kids play on the
floor anymore, so the extra legroom of the bulkheads is not so useful.

Ditto - I did the bulkhead thang once while flying with my baby son and

wondered
what the hey people who had been recommending that were thinking. I

didn't have
a place to put my long legs, and stuff that I normally would stash under

the
seat in front had to go into an overhead bin, and that's a major hassle to

Old December 31st 03, 06:31 PM
Banty

In article , dragonlady
says...

In article ,
Banty wrote:

In article , dejablues says...

Do you *have* to travel with him at this time? If he's sick all the time
now, how do you think he'll be in China!!!

Yeah. I gotta say that, although I can understand lots of reasons someone may
want to have baby with grandma in China, especially if one is a full time
graduate student, avoiding daycare exposures wouldn't be one that made any
sense.

Banty

I got the impression that it was to avoid the day care *experience* more
than the day care expense.

I said "avoiding daycare exposures"...

He didn't speak of expense (and neither did I) or even 'experience - he spoke of
exposure to illness. As another poster pointed out, putting the baby on an
airplane breathing recylced air for nearly a full day, to be transported to a
new country, with a whole new set of endemic illnesses, is pretty
counter-productive.

On the other hand, wanting to fly a child to for the sake of being under care of
a relative instead of child care at least makes sense in that transporting the
child to said relative in another country accomplishes that goal.

I went back and read the original posting, and my impression was that
the OP was concerned that his child was getting sick too often *because*
he was in day care, and having the baby cared for by family members in
China was preferred.

That's what doesn't make sense. Maybe in the medium term. But not in the short
term, and not in the long term unless they return to China, because when the
child reaches school age, he'll encounter all those bugs anyway.

Banty

Old December 31st 03, 06:58 PM
user

Bring Grandma here.